Sponsored by:

drivers side mirror mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:24 PM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default drivers side mirror mount

I am trying to replace my drivers side mirror, the screw that holds the mirror to the mount was striped out, so I had to drill it out. the mount was ruined by this, but the new mirror has a new mount.
problem is one of the mount screws is now stripped. should drill this out , and ruin the threads for the new mount? I tried using an impact remover and thats how the screw stripped.

any advice is appreciated

thanks!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:47 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

if I understand the above you have a new mount and new mirror but it did not come with new screws and one of the old screws is stripped? Is there something special about the screw that you cannt find another one locally?
Old 10-06-2016, 05:55 PM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the head of the screw is/ was stripped.
I sprayed it with PB blaster and let it sit for a while. then I just went out and cut a slot in the screw head for a flat head screw driver with a cut off wheel (taped off around mount to protect the paint) then used the impact tool to break the screw lose. once it was lose I used a regular flat screw driver to remove it.

cleaned up the area and mounted the new (china) mirror, it doesn't sit flat on the gasket on the top side. but it works and doesn't fall down at speed. the mirror was from corvette central .
Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEP....I have experienced this...and if my customer has concerns due to the base is not fully seated on the gasket...that is when I either get another mirror...or begin the 'modification' process to bring the mirror down to meet the gasket.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To drivers side mirror mount

Quick Reply: drivers side mirror mount