Sponsored by:

Good-Bye to 2016

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 04:20 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Good-Bye to 2016

My car went into secure commercial storage today so 2016 is finished. It is getting cold around here although not terribly so, I just did not enjoy the year very much and had enough. I managed 580 miles on the odometer, I typically do ~1,500 miles each year. I will see the 1974 again in April 2017.

I did manage one ice cream trip this summer. Not much else.

Last edited by Paul L; 10-20-2016 at 04:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (10-21-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Paul,
It's always a sobering day for me when I read your "put it away" post.
I'm sorry you didn't have the pleasure with your car that you've had in previous years.
I hope the Winter in your neighborhood isn't to difficult, and that next Spring finds you eager to have a try at a better Summer enjoying your car.
Regards,
Alan

Years mounting up at an alarming rate now.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-20-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Alan,
Thank you for your kind words.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:50 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Other priorities, commitments, other classic cars, emergencies, etc. are time robbers of our Corvette time.

I find comfort in knowing it's there when I'm able to give my attention to it..it always responds favorably.

If a person dwells on the cost of ownership vs time usage, it usually isn't practical to own one. But we already know Corvette and practicality doesn't exist.

You have a nice Corvette, possibly this winter you can plan an excursion or two, to look forward to in 2017, and justify ownership.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:14 PM
vmsns007
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Paul, I too own a 74 vert but I just picked it up 6 months ago and am still in the giddy honeymoon stage. I swear I put 1500 miles on it just this summer. Can't stay out of it. Your post reminds me that effect will likely wear off eventually. But for now I'm not putting mine to bed until I see that first snowflake. I don't care if I freeze!
Old 10-20-2016, 05:40 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Going on the dyno next week for the first time but I'm gonna hold out for another few weeks in this beautiful Nova Scotia fall.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:15 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vmsns007
Paul, I too own a 74 vert but I just picked it up 6 months ago and am still in the giddy honeymoon stage. I swear I put 1500 miles on it just this summer. Can't stay out of it. Your post reminds me that effect will likely wear off eventually. But for now I'm not putting mine to bed until I see that first snowflake. I don't care if I freeze!
I have been driving these TupperWare cars for ~32 years. The bloom does come off the rose with time.

You seem to be enjoying the 1974. Keep at it!

Last edited by Paul L; 10-20-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:19 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Paul sorry to here you are putting that beautiful car up so early. I remember many of the great fall pictures you've posted in the past. Hope you have more time for it next year.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:21 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Going on the dyno next week for the first time but I'm gonna hold out for another few weeks in this beautiful Nova Scotia fall.

Go for it!

I lived way upstate NY for many years.

Squeeze every bit out of summer/fall......

resdoggie (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
Paul sorry to here you are putting that beautiful car up so early. I remember many of the great fall pictures you've posted in the past. Hope you have more time for it next year.
Yes, I did not get "leaves" pics this year. It has been terribly wet.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:28 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I have been driving these TupperWare cars for ~32 years. The bloom does come off the rose with time.

You seem to be enjoying the 1974. Keep at it!

Paul74..fine looking '74..Hope the Canadian winter is kind to you folks up there..and you too 'Resdoggie ' in Nova Scotia....'Did we dig coal together in Kentucky..that's who your avatar brings to mind..the show "Justified.".actor Walter Goggins..

We are still enjoying the coloring fall leaves here in nw Oregon..Plenty of rainfall..a bit of wind..but we still get our sunny fall days..pic is from a couple weeks back up the Clackamas river..
best regards, jim
Attached Images  

Last edited by jim in oregon; 10-20-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:55 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Jim, that is indeed, Clay Burton. I sailed up the Columbia river back in 1993 on the HMCS ANNAPOLIS to enjoy the Portland Rose Festival. That was one of the best port visits ever! You guys and gals sure know how to party.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:57 PM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

There will be more summer days ahead . More Ice Cream trips.

Thanks for sharing your driving season on the forum .
Old 10-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I did get out a (small) bit today to put Lucas Fuel Stabilizer in the tank and a few dollars of non-ethanol 91 octane to top up. But then the sky started to open up and it was storage time.
jim in oregon (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:06 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Jim, that is indeed, Clay Burton. I sailed up the Columbia river back in 1993 on the HMCS ANNAPOLIS to enjoy the Portland Rose Festival. That was one of the best port visits ever! You guys and gals sure know how to party.
COOL.. I have met and had tours on several of the Canadian ships during past Rose festivals..but more recent than '93..Jim..and yes Portland does know how to enjoy a great beer now and thenn..:0
Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I did get out a (small) bit today to put Lucas Fuel Stabilizer in the tank and a few dollars of non-ethanol 91 octane to top up. But then the sky started to open up and it was storage time.
Paul....We have had winds in the 60mph range and almost 8 inches of rain here these past few weeks...A remnant of a pacific typhoon.did heavy damage in a small coastal town, Manzanita OR...
We drive to the Or coast often ..( car doesn't leak a drop..)..

BUT we are very cognizant of the CASCADIA SUBDUCTION ZONE plate issue that will sooner than later cause massive quake damage and an epic tsunami that will probably hit from Canada down to lower California..
it's overdue..317 yrs since the last recorded mega quake tsunami..and thats well over the geological record of 250 years between massive subduction shifts..
I have never been afraid of dying..but there's literally millions in harm's way from the quake, tsunami and destruction of infrastructure that will happen..pray for the coastal regions in the pacific nw.
Very little is being done to deal with the eventuality..and most folks are not aware of the terrible danger in the forseeable future..Jim
sorry for the small tutorial..but seen in perspective..driving our vintage corvettes is a very small issue..Live, love, hope, pray..
Old 10-20-2016, 08:09 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jim in oregon
Paul....We have had winds in the 60mph range and almost 8 inches of rain here these past few weeks...A remnant of a pacific typhoon.did heavy damage in a small coastal town, Manzanita OR...
We drive to the Or coast often ..( car doesn't leak a drop..)..

BUT we are very cognizant of the CASCADIA SUBDUCTION ZONE plate issue that will sooner than later cause massive quake damage and an epic tsunami that will probably hit from Canada down to lower California..
it's overdue..317 yrs since the last recorded mega quake tsunami..and thats well over the geological record of 250 years between massive subduction shifts..
I have never been afraid of dying..but there's literally millions in harm's way from the quake, tsunami and destruction of infrastructure that will happen..pray for the coastal regions in the pacific nw.
Very little is being done to deal with the eventuality..and most folks are not aware of the terrible danger in the forseeable future..Jim
sorry for the small tutorial..but seen in perspective..driving our vintage corvettes is a very small issue..Live, love, hope, pray..
I don't know what to say?? I do have house insurance for earthquakes.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/10/29/...or-major-quake

Get notified of new replies

To Good-Bye to 2016

Old 10-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

I can't believe I can finally say I put more miles on during a season than you did...
(even if it's only because yours was way down, but I have to take it when I can get it)

At least that beautiful vert went into hibernation under it's own steam and can enjoy a safe winters slumber.

With hopes of a more mileage filled year for it, you and yours in 2017.

M
Old 10-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mooser
I can't believe I can finally say I put more miles on during a season than you did...
(even if it's only because yours was way down, but I have to take it when I can get it)

At least that beautiful vert went into hibernation under it's own steam and can enjoy a safe winters slumber.

With hopes of a more mileage filled year for it, you and yours in 2017.

M
Thanks. Still pouring rain this evening. Did the deed this morning at the right time, just barely. Yes, the 1974 was purring this morning. I had the battery tender (1.5A) on it yesterday for a couple of hours to get ready for an extended sleep. The 1974 said this morning on start-up quit fooling about and lets move. I did. Some funny looks driving in this weather and temps in this car. But it was strangely a fun experience to hear the roar of the exhaust and say good-bye for another year.

Ordered driveway (freeezing rain) ice melter when I got home. The seasons they are a'changing.
jim in oregon (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 08:42 PM
jim in oregon
Burning Brakes

Thanks. Still pouring rain this evening. Did the deed this morning at the right time, just barely. Yes, the 1974 was purring this morning. I had the battery tender (1.5A) on it yesterday for a couple of hours to get ready for an extended sleep. The 1974 said this morning on start-up quit fooling about and lets move. I did. Some funny looks driving in this weather and temps in this car. But it was strangely a fun experience to hear the roar of the exhaust and say good-bye for another year.

Ordered driveway (freeezing rain) ice melter when I got home. The seasons they are a'changing.
Paul,
That's great!.Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.. this spring the old vettes in cold country will come out again..like the little spring frogs and redwing blackbirds..I'd add..that's why we take the time to make certain the heater defroster and wipers WORK!...Chains or studded tires don't mix well with the Corvettes of any vintage..jim

Last edited by jim in oregon; 10-20-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Good-Bye to 2016