Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Riser vs No Heat Riser

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Is the heat riser emissions related, I have a 78 and live in Southern California
Old 01-08-2017, 02:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Heat riser systems have been on cars much longer than emissions stuff. But, as you live in EPAland, one never knows. However, if you open the riser valve and remove the valve from the shaft...then reassemble it, how would they ever know? From the outside it would appear the same and operate the same. It just wouldn't block exhaust flow from going down the pipe. And, it probably wouldn't be cold enough for it to close, anyway.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 01-08-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Corvetteoz
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Heat riser systems have been on cars much longer than emissions stuff. But, as you live in EPAland, one never knows. However, if you open the riser valve and remove the valve from the shaft...then reassemble it, how would they ever know? From the outside it would appear the same and operate the same. It just wouldn't block exhaust flow from going down the pipe. And, it probably wouldn't be cold enough for it to close, anyway.
​​​​ ​​​Does this mean that the exhaust crossover in the inlet manifold is not needed anymore?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvetteoz
​​​​ ​​​Does this mean that the exhaust crossover in the inlet manifold is not needed anymore?
People will debate that. Carb warm-up will take longer of course. My whole exhaust system is relatively new but I will try the spacer in April or so. I don't understand why it is so oddly shaped but I am sure someone has an answer to that.

I should not experiment like this but I tend to. A normal heat riser tends to work fine if lubricated once a year or so. Years ago GM had a special spray to do that job. Nowadays I guess PB Blaster is the equivalent.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-08-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
I don't understand why it is so oddly shaped but I am sure someone has an answer to that.
Hi Paul. The spacer has the same triangular flat on one side shape as the end of the exhaust manifold so that the ears on the cast exhaust manifold sit flat up against it (gasket between) and don't break off when tightened down or with heat cycles.
Without the riser the stock choke takes about twice as long (or more) to fully release so with a divorced choke you need to lengthen the rod (make a new rod) to the carb by almost a half inch to get it to release sooner. If you want to block off the manifold you MUST replace the riser with an open spacer or gutted riser or the exhaust will be blocked on the passenger side. If you need a choke and the manifold is blocked you have to go to an aftermarket divorced electric choke.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 01-08-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaGrant
Hi Paul. The spacer has the same triangular flat on one side shape as the end of the exhaust manifold so that the ears on the cast exhaust manifold sit flat up against it (gasket between) and don't break off when tightened down or with heat cycles.
Without the riser the stock choke takes about twice as long (or more) to fully release so with a divorced choke you need to lengthen the rod (make a new rod) to the carb by almost a half inch to get it to release sooner. If you want to block off the manifold you MUST replace the riser with an open spacer or gutted riser or the exhaust will be blocked on the passenger side. If you need a choke and the manifold is blocked you have to go to an aftermarket divorced electric choke.
Useful info. Thank you. My car runs very well now and I have a bad habit of fixing things until they are broken....I'll lube the existing heat riser in April with graphite spray and get on with driving.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-09-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Rich68
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question to add to this thread - Will the -`74 spacers work on the 1975? It's also got a 2" manifold output. I have seen certain vendors list this part up through the early `80s, and others not.

Getting ready to order a dual exhaust from CC, so the question is at least timely for me. . .
Old 02-25-2017, 10:33 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich68
Question to add to this thread - Will the -`74 spacers work on the 1975? It's also got a 2" manifold output. I have seen certain vendors list this part up through the early `80s, and others not.

Getting ready to order a dual exhaust from CC, so the question is at least timely for me. . .
Just call the vendor. T
Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
Is the heat riser emissions related, I have a 78 and live in Southern California
Yes. Part of the smog check. However, they only check that its there, and do not check function. Capiche?

Quick Reply: Heat Riser vs No Heat Riser