C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First C3! Here we go....

Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Believe it or not I brought the car home and only had a few hours checking her our before taking off for a full week. I'm getting by this week by staring at all the pics I snapped before I left. I'll certainly remove the air cleaner assembly and take a bunch more when I get back this weekend. I hear you about getting in there and doing some true investigation about what you're really working with. I'm just getting my feet wet and as I mentioned only had a few hours with the car.

Everything I've seen looks untouched but I'm sure there are gong to be some surprises. If you look at this close up of the first engine bay pic you can see there is a hose missing off the air pump so right there I'll have to investigate and determine what I'm going to do.

I think as long as the current carb doesn't need a total rebuild i'll look to get her up and running and then plan for carb / intake / dist swap to cut out the CCC. I think you're right on the converter lock-up and it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out something there.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Very nice. The 80-82s are my favorite of the rubber bumper cars, styling-wise, and yours looks great!

You might want to check the date code on the tires. Many say anything over 6-7 years old should be replaced, even if they appear fine. After that, check the suspension bushings and rag joint, especially if the ride is a little loose.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:34 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Amen on the tire suggestion! When I bought mine it had new looking tires on it but they were like 11 years old. The car did not get driven much in the last 15 years. The first time I took it out a big gash just opened up on the the right rear tire. I replaced them all, which is a shame, because I eventally want to buy period looking reproduction tires and I will be taking the new ones off.

Originally Posted by Kevin68
Very nice. The 80-82s are my favorite of the rubber bumper cars, styling-wise, and yours looks great!

You might want to check the date code on the tires. Many say anything over 6-7 years old should be replaced, even if they appear fine. After that, check the suspension bushings and rag joint, especially if the ride is a little loose.

Last edited by crawfish333; 02-22-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 PM
bj61662
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Great Looking C3

Originally Posted by Khibbs
After a long search I've finally brought my first C3 home! This Forum has been a huge help in finding answers to questions of different years, options, and things to look for throughout my search... so thanks. Now that I've actually got one in the garage I have a TON more questions but I know using Search will by my first and best option. I've restored a few cars in the past but this is my first Corvette so I'm really excited.

My new addition is an 81 and has been with the PO for 23 years. It was always garaged and covered which is the good news. Frame is great and the car is almost totally original with the exception of a really good (in my opinion) repaint sometime before he bought the car in 1997. The bad is she wasn't driven much at all, especially in the last 7 years. Mostly just pulled out and a lap around the block at best.

I'm going to tackle all fluids, go through belts, hoses, fuel filter, etc. There are some small issues like tach and wipers not working which will be fun to troubleshoot. I'm going to go through the brakes and do the exhaust.

Plans are to drive it and enjoy it. Build a nice little 355 or 383 for it in the next year or two but keep it pretty clean and stock looking under the hood.

One of the first orders of business will be to understand what smog equipment I can remove (currently no belt on the smog pump) and keep for later if needed for any reason.

Any other suggestions for initial things to check or focus on by those who know these cars best are certainly welcome.

A few pics from the trip home:

Love the exterior/interior color combination!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:45 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Very nice and clean looking car. Paint color is great! Strongly agree with getting those tires changed. Last thing you want to have happen is for one of them to let loose and destroy and beautiful car, and it can happen so easy and quick. Good luck and keep feeding us those great picx!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Khibbs
Instructor

Default Quick Update

So a quick update not that I've had a week to explore the car. I knew the fame was good but the car is really solid so I'm very happy.

The paint is way better than I expected and here is she is after her first wash.

The first order of business was brakes (no shocker here...). I've pulled all 4 calipers and send them out to VBP.

Apparently I'm not the only one who loves this car and I know there were some little 4 legged creatures that were hiding out based on the evidence under the hood. Easy clean up but I'm now going through all of the electrical issues (back up lights, power locks, etc) and I've started to remove the center console.

I was happy to find some very minor surface rust on the floors which are rock solid. Going to clean them up and do a coat of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator before putting the carpet back down.

Having fun and the car is pretty much what I expected. More to come this weekend!

Last edited by Khibbs; 03-03-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:19 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,498 Likes on 3,585 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Every guy needs project!
Old 03-16-2017, 02:03 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

I wrapped up the floors and got on with fixing a number of wiring issues. Interior lights, reverse lights, tach, etc. At least there was a Punch 150 amp hidden under the front seat that's in good shape.

The tach board is bad so I have a replacement coming.

I wanted to lower the rear about 3/4" - 1" so I installed some new 8" bolts with fresh bushings.

I have my calipers coming back today so I'll be able to get to work installing new S/S lines and mounting them up. I'll try to post up when done.

Then if this snow ever melts I can go for my FIRST drive!

Last edited by Khibbs; 03-16-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:35 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist

Thats one great looking C3!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:55 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

I got my calipers back last night and mounted them up with some new S/S lines. I chose a grey powdercoat to keep them looking pretty much stock. Almost ready to take her for a drive.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:50 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Well if your state doesn't require emissions then feel free to rip out all that crap. Toss on a HEI dizzy, headers, dual exhaust, and your favorite carb and let er rip. And pull the CCC as well, you won't need it. Much easier and simpler especially if you are going to swap the engine out in the future.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:42 AM
bj61662
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Spring is here in upstate NY (I think)

I wrapped up the floors and got on with fixing a number of wiring issues. Interior lights, reverse lights, tach, etc. At least there was a Punch 150 amp hidden under the front seat that's in good shape.

The tach board is bad so I have a replacement coming.

I wanted to lower the rear about 3/4" - 1" so I installed some new 8" bolts with fresh bushings.

I have my calipers coming back today so I'll be able to get to work installing new S/S lines and mounting them up. I'll try to post up when done.

Then if this snow ever melts I can go for my FIRST drive!
Keep up the work; we think Winter is finally here in upstate NY.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:19 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

The new tach board from Wilcox was a success so I'm all set there. I replaced a front brake line and although it was 10:30pm on a Thursday night, the roads were dry so it was time for our first drive.

I was so happy to finally be behind the wheel but it ended rather quickly as I smelled something burning. The cat must have been totally clogged or collapsed as it was smoking and about to bust in flames. I knew I was doing exhaust right away but it looks like she's parked until the true dual kit arrives later this week.

Last edited by Khibbs; 03-27-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 AM
bj61662
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default First Road Trip is always GREAT!

The new tach board from Wilcox was a success so I'm all set there. I replaced a front brake line and although it was 10:30pm on a Thursday night, the roads were dry so it was time for our first drive.

I was so happy to finally be behind the wheel but it ended rather quickly as I smelled something burning. The cat must have been totally clogged or collapsed as it was smoking and about to bust in flames. I knew I was doing exhaust right away but it looks like she's parked until the true dual kit arrives later this week.
First time on road is always great, even if short.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:41 AM
Khibbs
Instructor

Originally Posted by bj61662
First time on road is always great, even if short.
You got that right!

The true dual system from Central Corvette arrived yesterday and I'm very impressed with the quality. Instructions would have been nice but it's pretty easy to figure out how everything goes together. Heavy gauge steel and the Magnaflows look great.

I moved over my O2 sensor and she bolted right up. It sounds awesome and I'm sure I've freed up some power. After a 30 min test drive it was time to call it a night.

She is stumbling off idle so I need to investigate that but over I'm VERY happy with the kit after getting a few quotes in the $900 range to do a set of Flowmasters from the STOCK Y PIPE BACK!! Forget that!
The following users liked this post:
Reaper19 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 12:52 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
I cannot tell if it is black or some kind of charcoal gray, but it is a very nice looking car.

Since I own a black C7 (and previously owned a black C5) I will tell you a little secret if you promise that it will not go any further. Black cars are actually a little faster. Even if his is charcoal gray, it is close enough to black to qualify.

Congratulations to Khibbs on the purchase of a nice car.
I can't vouch for them being faster but I will say that they are beautiful if you can keep them clean . I owned a black 68 and a black C5 ( 2001 ) . Got tired of cleaning and waxing and now own red so I can just drive and enjoy. Only need a California duster for this one .
Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 PM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great looking car! Hope you have fun with it.

Get notified of new replies

To My First C3! Here we go....

Old 03-31-2017, 09:13 PM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You got that right!

The true dual system from Central Corvette arrived yesterday and I'm very impressed with the quality. Instructions would have been nice but it's pretty easy to figure out how everything goes together. Heavy gauge steel and the Magnaflows look great.

I moved over my O2 sensor and she bolted right up. It sounds awesome and I'm sure I've freed up some power. After a 30 min test drive it was time to call it a night.

She is stumbling off idle so I need to investigate that but over I'm VERY happy with the kit after getting a few quotes in the $900 range to do a set of Flowmasters from the STOCK Y PIPE BACK!! Forget that!

Hey Khibbs, sweet looking 81. I have been restoring mine and after I completed about 80% of the mechanicals been driving it the last 1 1/2 years without doing anything else but change oil and put gas in it. The car gets a lot of looks on the street and car shows. If you get that CCC tuned right the car will run great and gas mileage is great. The CCC carb is a bear to tune, but once you understand the inner workings, tuning it is not that hard.

I put on a magnaflow high flow cat when I got the car 2 1/2 years ago, but been eyeing up that true dual exhaust you put on. How much louder is it now? Do you get a lot of drone? You mentioned the O2 went right in, so did the bung fitting come already installed and ready for the O2? Did the system bolt right in without mods?

Thanks

Reaper19
Old 03-31-2017, 09:33 PM
Khibbs
Instructor

Reaper - thanks for the comments and I've been having a great time exploring the car and learning a lot about C3s.

It was so great to finally take it out of a nice 30 min drive the other night and it's really comfortable! I could see logging some serious miles in this car.

The system was really easy to install. All the bends were spot on and matched up well. The system was totally stock before with some holes in it and at least one of the mufflers was falling apart so I don't know about prior noise levels. I was originally going to throw a set of Flowmasters on and then I saw this complete system for a good price. Thinking more about it now I have a feeling that the Flowmasters would have droned a bit. Overall it think it sounds awesome and isn't too loud. I got out on the highway for a bit and they are really nice. No drone in my opinion.

As for the CCC, the car runs ok (for only one trip out) but it stumbles a bit off idle. I don't think it's the accelerator pump so I'm going to check out some other potential areas. My plan it to get it running nicely as it and then build a healthy 383 in a year or two.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:18 AM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Awesome looking ride. One of my favorite colors and body styles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My First C3! Here we go....