Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Issue

Old 02-23-2017, 09:50 PM
Dkeller167
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Issue

So we bought a '76 and wanted to buy a new battery for it, no surprise there. Before changing the battery, the car started no problem. After we changed the battery, we let it sit a while...like 4 months or so. The battery had a disconnect on the positive terminal which I undid so the battery wouldn't drain. Well, it did, so I charged it up and went to start the car. Here is where it gets weird:

Upon turning the key to on, the aftermarket radio turns on which is normal. When I turn the key to turn on the car, it clicks once and all power is gone. In order to get power back again, I have to unhook the battery and hook it back up again. Anyone else experience this? What's going on??
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkeller167
So we bought a '76 and wanted to buy a new battery for it, no surprise there. Before changing the battery, the car started no problem. After we changed the battery, we let it sit a while...like 4 months or so. The battery had a disconnect on the positive terminal which I undid so the battery wouldn't drain. Well, it did, so I charged it up and went to start the car. Here is where it gets weird:

Upon turning the key to on, the aftermarket radio turns on which is normal. When I turn the key to turn on the car, it clicks once and all power is gone. In order to get power back again, I have to unhook the battery and hook it back up again. Anyone else experience this? What's going on??
Sounds like a bad connection. Check your battery cables, ground strap, and the positive connection on your starter solenoid. Check for corrosion and bloating of any cables as well.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

It just sounds like it is not getting a good connection somewhere either on the positive terminal or ground cables . Clean all connections and try again. I would put that battery on charge though if it has sat for four months.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:18 PM
Dkeller167
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by bj1k
It just sounds like it is not getting a good connection somewhere either on the positive terminal or ground cables . Clean all connections and try again. I would put that battery on charge though if it has sat for four months.
Okay, so the battery is on a charger, and it is staying topped off. I can tell the cables have a good connection, as I can turn on the hazards no problem. But once I try to start the car, there is a click, and everything goes dead. The only way I can get anything to work again, is to disconnect the battery and re connect it.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:19 PM
Dkeller167
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Sounds like a bad connection. Check your battery cables, ground strap, and the positive connection on your starter solenoid. Check for corrosion and bloating of any cables as well.
Where is the starter solenoid located?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:13 AM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Where is the starter solenoid located?
at the starter
Old 02-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi DK,
Welcome!
First posts!!!
Where does the click seem to be coming from…. behind the dash, from the left side of the engine compartment, or on the right side of the engine down low?
Regards,
Alan

Here's the location of the starter solenoid.

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-24-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:22 PM
Chop Shop
Cruising

When i bought my 76 it did the exact same thing. It was the main battery connection at the starter. The end was bloated with corrosion for about 3 inches. In Alan's picture it was the black cable right above his yellow arrow. Hope this helps.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Bad connection, or a bad battery. Get rid of the quick disconnect and wire the cable directly to the battery, if you have not done this. Check your ground connections at the motor and the battery to the frame. Make sure they are tight and clean. Does not take much battery power to run a radio or flashers. Takes a lot of power to start a car. Bad or dirty connections give the same symptoms.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 PM
truckerlary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You might check your ground connection under the car back at the battery. Check your cable end and also where it bolts to the crossmember. Also check where the ground fastens to the frame up by the starter. You should have a cable like it shows in Alans picture(black cable) that goes from the frame to the engine block. The ground is just as important as the hot cable.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi DK,
Welcome!
First posts!!!
Where does the click seem to be coming from…. behind the dash, from the left side of the engine compartment, or on the right side of the engine down low?
Regards,
Alan

Here's the location of the starter solenoid.
Alan, thanks for the many pictures, they amaze me, and I stare at them for the attention to detail and excellent workmanship you have done. Not trying to hi jack thread.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition Issue