Sponsored by:

Carb severe flooding problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 02:45 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default Carb severe flooding problem

I thought I had finally fixed the last problem on my 68 convert with NOM 454. The QFT 750 cfm dbl pumper carb would not maintain proper fuel level in the fuel bowls- overflowed to the point of the carb filling up with liquid gas. I backed off on the fuel pressure with a smaller electric fuel pump/regulator and changed the needle, seat and power valve, but did not change the two floats. The car maintained proper fuel level (glass sight ports) for about twenty minutes idling in my garage and ran perfectly on my ten mile test drive, them abruptly died and would not re-start in the parking lot of the local Target store. Opening the hood I found the fuel pressure was zero, since the carb was filled up with liquid gas- apparently from the needle/seat being wide open.

When I inspected the floats when I previously worked on the carb they appeared OK. No sloshing of fuel in the brass primary float and none in the nitrophyl secondary float. I'm going to replace both now. Question- could a pinhole leak on the brass float open enough when the engine heat increased to make it leak and sink the float? If so, why was there no gas in it when I previously checked it?
Old 04-15-2017, 03:50 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

I fought your problem for quite a while on my 750 DP Holley...of which I think your QFT is similar. Changed both floats to brass (from nitrophyl), problem solved!

The nitrophyl would absorb fuel WHEN HOT after driving...and sink
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 08:34 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default floats

Originally Posted by mikem350
I fought your problem for quite a while on my 750 DP Holley...of which I think your QFT is similar. Changed both floats to brass (from nitrophyl), problem solved!

The nitrophyl would absorb fuel WHEN HOT after driving...and sink

hmmmmmmmm. QFT is, as you comment, interchangeable with Holley. I ordered two nitrophyl floats filled with closed foam from QFT since they claimed they would not leak and absorb gas like a leaky brass float would do. I'm still puzzled why the original floats did not slosh or feel heavy when I checked them. I have previously found bad brass floats and they always had enough liquid in them to detect a sloshing when you checked them.

I believe your comment about them leaking when hot makes sense, but where does the gas go when they cool off? RA
Old 04-15-2017, 09:27 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

When I read something like this I see pictures of burned out corvette shells. Please work on it outside of your garage until you are sure it is right . Hope you get it fixed soon .
The following 2 users liked this post by bj1k:
MISTERZ06 (04-15-2017), ronarndt (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 11:47 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Default fire hazard

Originally Posted by bj1k
When I read something like this I see pictures of burned out corvette shells. Please work on it outside of your garage until you are sure it is right . Hope you get it fixed soon .
When this problem first happened a couple weeks ago, the car was IN the garage. Fortunately I got everything electrical turned off and pushed the car outside. I have three fire extinguishers in the garage, but car fires are hard to put out. I saw a Vette catch fire many years ago and it was burned to a crisp before the fire department arrived.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (04-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Carb severe flooding problem

Quick Reply: Carb severe flooding problem