71 birdcage issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 03:24 PM
c3c4c6
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 346,
The area around the frame kick-up in front of the rear wheel and the pocket that the trailing-arm mounts in is a good place to begin looking at the frame's condition.
This area had a lot of road debris and moisture thrown up at it and had areas susceptible to rust.
Regards,
Alan

Alan,

That is what my undercarriage looks like. "in my dreams" Wow, what an awesome looking undercarriage.

Dean
Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree and smart advice.

Originally Posted by joewill
never seen a rusted out birdcage that did not have a rusted out frame.. extensive body work, paint, all the while I'm at it... you are talking almost total dissassembly of the car for the birdcage.. not 10K, it will be 30K plus...
total front clip removal, firewall, everything rehung and alligned... thousands of hours of your own work.. and if you don't do it all yourself, then you won't find a shop that will do it and not take them 2 years and want 5 figures up front..

that is reality.... if you are going to spend 30K then sell your car for 8 and buy you a really nice one for 38, be on the road immediately, no headaches, no gray hair....

Agree, smart advice here, and lets see, your wife would buy another LT-1 Steel Cities Gray in a heartbeat? this would be a no brainer for me but we all have different viewpoints. Good luck with whatever direction you go.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by c3c4c6
The biggest issue is finding the right shop. I would love to get my hands dirty, but not sure how feasible it is with the space we have available.
Dean
Dean

Your biggest issue is cost, if you pay somebody to fix this car be prepared to drop upwards of $30,000 plus just for the body repairs and repaint. Given the amount of rust damage you are looking at a complete birdcage replacement which will require every fiberglass panel to be remover from the body.

Lots of man-hours at $75 -$110 per hour labor plus parts.

Dennis

This is the part you need to get started.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mr D.; 04-25-2017 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
c3c4c6 (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:02 PM
c3c4c6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Dean

Your biggest issue is cost, if you pay somebody to fix this car be prepared to drop upwards of $30,000 plus just for the body repairs and repaint. Given the amount of rust damage you are looking at a complete birdcage replacement which will require every fiberglass panel to be remover from the body.

Lots of man-hours at $75 -$110 per hour labor plus parts.

Dennis

This is the part you need to get started.
Dennis,

Are these readily available? Maybe I attempt something like this when the kids go off to college.

I'll see if I can get pictures of the undercarriage tonight and post. A remote camera would be nice to go up the kick panel area to see what I have up above.

Dean
Old 04-25-2017, 06:50 PM
tomvr
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

The car has suffered some pretty serious structural damage. I personally would not drive it on the street. If it's in an accident, I'm concerned about the safety of the occupants. Sorry!!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:26 PM
c3c4c6
Advanced

Here are some frame pictures. Tough to get to with the zo6 under it.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by c3c4c6
Dennis,

Are these readily available? Maybe I attempt something like this when the kids go off to college.

I'll see if I can get pictures of the undercarriage tonight and post. A remote camera would be nice to go up the kick panel area to see what I have up above.

Dean
No they are not, you have to hunt to find one or repair yours to look like that. If you think you are going to do this start looking now.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:34 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Birdcage replacement parts

I have a 72 that has suffered serious rust from sitting for many years.
I purchased my parts from a guy named Randy, at Randy's Corvettes in Iron Station, N.C. 704-689-7526

See my photos.

And his price wasn't bad at all.

FYI
Attached Images      
Old 04-26-2017, 09:48 AM
c3c4c6
Advanced

It is a shame that these cars look so decent from the outside and so horrible on the inside that you can't even see. This is certainly an eye opener for me. Very discouraging to see these beautiful cars suffering this kind of rot. If this is so popular, it seems as if someone should be making bird cages. I know they would not be original, but my guess is that the supply of good birdcages has to be pretty low. If the demand is so high, I just don't see why some after market company is not making some. Just seems like a lost opportunity. Maybe it is because many don't know about this rot and because it is such a huge job that not many people attempt it. Very sad.

Dean
Old 04-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dean,
The pictures of the frame you posted look encouraging.
But that doesn't diminish the birdcage situation you're facing.

While I don't think anyone is making a complete birdcage, the reproducers have started making "repair sections" of the areas of the windshield frame, hinge and lock pillars, and rocker channels, that most often need repair.
That MAY be an option for you. It still requires a good bit of SKILL, time and work to do the repair. BUT, again, it might be an option for your car.
You really won't know until the car gets 'opened up' a little more.
Regards,
Alan

You can look at Zip Products, Corvette Central, Paragon Reproductions, and Caledonia Classics in Belding Michigan, to see what sort of things are currently being reproduced.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM
c3c4c6
Advanced

Alan,

Thanks, that is very encouraging. I will take a look at those companies, but I guess I won't know what I need until I look into this further.

What did you think of the cross member? I think the picture looks better than it really is. I assume that is an easier replacement. I didn't look, but does the exhaust have to come off to replace that part?

Thanks again!

Dean
Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dean,
I think you're referring to the crossmember the transmission tail mounts on?
If so you're in luck because although the exhaust would need to be removed, the crossmember itself is bolted in place on automatic transmission equipped cars. (On 4-speed cars it's welded to the frame rails)
There appears to be a lot go "gunk" on the crossmember, so it's a little difficult to tell what condition the crossmember itself is right now. Scraping the gunk off will be necessary to determine whats going on.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-26-2017, 05:29 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

After looking at your frame I have to say it doesn't look that bad. I expected much worse based on your other photos. Not sure what you will decide to do but don't let anyone tell you that your car isn't worth anything. A '71 convertible is a desirable car. If you have an emotional attachment I would keep it and fix it. Many on this forum have started with much worse. If your car were a rubber bumper coupe I probably wouldn't go through the hassle but I hope you will decide to hang on to it.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Your frame appears to have been undercoated at some time.
From what I'm seeing in your pictures, I'd say that frame is in Great shape.
As for the birdcage, There are many used Corvette parts sources out there.
I'd look over in the southwestern states, Arizona, New Mexico, California.
I bought my birdcage local, here in N.C..
I bought my interior out of California just this week.
I hung the nose out of the way.
Although my birdcage is "FRIED", my frame is as solid as a frame gets.
Not undercoated, and only surface rust.
The front of the frame has the usual engine oil etc., leaks stuff, so when I blast that clean, I'm betting it'll look new.
If you decide to attempt this, I'd recommend a couple of books.
"1971 Corvette Assembly Instruction Manual". I have the 72 one.
BRB
Attached Images    
Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

I found this... Take a look, hey, it's free.

http://www.corvettebergen.com/owners.../c3_repair.pdf
Old 04-26-2017, 06:15 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Another suggestion, go to the Autobody forum here on this site and introduce yourself to "DUB"....
Explain yourself.
Maybe he can help you.
I even went to meet him at his shop.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

You can find several cross members, both weld in and bolt on at Bowtie Overdrive, VBP, Corvette Central and other vendors for under $300.00. Your frame looks pretty good and Like Alan71 said above, your birdcage may not be all that bad. Look through some prior threads here on the Forum. I remember reading a thread about rust issues on the birdcage where water sits and deteriorates only isolated areas. I believe that one article referenced pulling back the side interior panels and also looking at some areas accessible up under the dash. I remember reading a thread about what to look for before you buy a C3 that had some easily accessible inspection points as well. Keep looking, but at some point you may need to remove some parts to access what is truly going on.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 04-26-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 birdcage issues

Old 04-30-2017, 03:22 PM
AJC 69 BB
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I have these two 68/69 convertible bird cages I will be repairing shortly. So I am keeping an eye on this post as well as another for info and parts availability !!
Old 04-30-2017, 04:03 PM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you pulled the passenger kick panel? Does it look the same?

I am surprised the body mount bolt looks so good while the birdcage around it is rusted away.

It's a big repair but I think the car needs to be saved.

Last edited by David Mc; 04-30-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:44 PM
72 Project
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have not bought anything from this business yet. However If you need a bird cage this might be the way to go. http://www.corvetteusa.com/windshieldframes.html
The following users liked this post:
c3c4c6 (05-01-2017)

Quick Reply: 71 birdcage issues