Sponsored by:

1969 front bumper "twist" bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:35 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 1969 front bumper "twist" bracket

I know one end of this bracket goes into the bumper reinforcement bar. My question, does the other end:
1. Get positioned against the fiberglass or
2. Does it get attached to the outer extension bracket on the outside (the bolt end). Meaning the outer extension bracket goes directly on the fiberglass.
Thanks.

​​​​​​​The assembly manual is of no help and neither are my searches, thanks.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 04-24-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TR,
Here's the 71 configuration.
Does it help?
Regards,
Alan

The following 2 users liked this post by Alan 71:
Grover 3 (04-27-2017), MISTERZ06 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 03:59 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Yup, thanks. Twist bracket goes against the fiberglass first, then the outer extension bracket to the Bumper bracket. I'll try it again. Many thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 06:52 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

I still have to drill for the 2 end bolts that go thru the holes on the 2 brackets. Good luck with that and getting the bolts to line up.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY
I still have to drill for the 2 end bolts that go thru the holes on the 2 brackets. Good luck with that and getting the bolts to line up.
but it niot that bad...and that is why I believe I mentioned to you in one of our PM's to each other that I use a 1/8" drill bit and then enlarge the hole. Simply because that 'twist bracket' has limited amount of play in it do the the slot made into it..and knowing that it gets bolted to the underside of the front metal reinforcement.

The long bumper extension that goes through your inner skirt....I do not worry to much about it because it can be 'tweaked' if needed to get it to go when you need it...so...do not trust it. I trust the 'twist bracket'...and that is assuming that the front metal reinforcement that the 'twist bracket' is bolted to was centered when installed and riveted to the top hood surround.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
TWINRAY (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Thanks DUB, in fact lying on my back, looking up at things, the twist bracket alignment with the bumper threads (where the bolt goes) looks pretty good. It is when I put the Outer Extension bracket up to the twist bracket, things seem to go astray. I will then favor the hole in the twist bracket as my aiming point when I drill. I fit a business card between the reinforcement bar and the fiberglass today in one section between the rivets. Got mr thinking maybe I didn't epoxythe bar on but damn I thought I did. I'm going to check more tomorrow. I may even drill out the rivets and see. Worst case I can just put new rivets in and leave it if the bar doesn't drop out.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Not that it should matter that much...and IF my memory is correct on this. But the 'C' looking bracket that is bolted to the long extension that goes through your skirt is what actually contacts your fiberglass...and then the 'twist' bracket contacts it. SO taking into consideration the thickness of the 'C' bracket when drilling may help a little bit due to the 'angles of the dangles' kinda thing. Probably not worth mentioning but weirder things have happened.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-25-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:32 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
Not that it should matter that much...and IF my memory is correct on this. But the 'C' looking bracket that is bolted to the long extension that goes through your skirt is what actually contacts your fiberglass...and then the 'twist' bracket contacts it. SO taking into consideration the thickness of the 'C' bracket when drilling may help a little bit due to the 'angles of the dangles' kinda thing. Probably not worth mentioning but weirder things have happened.

DUB
In Alan's photo, it appeared to me the twist bracket contacted the fiberglass? I'm viewing this on a phone screen so maybe that wasn't correct?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi TW,
The end of the twist bracket does contact the fiberglass.

It's immediately behind the corner hole for that large bumper bolt.
IF…. the bumper was off, but the twist bracket was in place and adjusted, you'd be able to just see the bracket by looking through the hole because the hole in the fiberglass is larger than the hole in the bracket.

I'm sure you'll discuss this with DUB but it was impressed on me how important it is to bring the bumper brackets 'out' to meet the bumper and to not use the bolt to bring the bumper 'back' to meet the bracket.
Regards,
Alan
TWINRAY (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi TW,
The end of the twist bracket does contact the fiberglass.

It's immediately behind the corner hole for that large bumper bolt.
IF…. the bumper was off, but the twist bracket was in place and adjusted, you'd be able to just see the bracket by looking through the hole because the hole in the fiberglass is larger than the hole in the bracket.

I'm sure you'll discuss this with DUB but it was impressed on me how important it is to bring the bumper brackets 'out' to meet the bumper and to not use the bolt to bring the bumper 'back' to meet the bracket.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan for the Confirmation. Before your original photo the other day, I was trying different which way positioning and the twist bracket again the fiberglass, then the "U" bracket against the twist bracket was the only good fit possible. Yesterday and today are 2 crappy rainy days. Tomorrow I hope to drill the 2 end holes and make some progress. Thanks for rhe help.

Last edited by TWINRAY; 04-26-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

I have to check something before I possibly further insert my foot in my mouth...BUT I swear it only make sense that the 'C' bracket...which has much more surface area to come in contact with the fiberglass WOULD be the logical choice...instead of the narrow 'twist bracket.

I will double check something and get back to you tomorrow.

DUB
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DUB
I have to check something before I possibly further insert my foot in my mouth...BUT I swear it only make sense that the 'C' bracket...which has much more surface area to come in contact with the fiberglass WOULD be the logical choice...instead 7of the narrow 'twist bracket.

DUB
10 4, Exactly what I thought when I started to put things together but when I went to put the twist bracket over the "C" bracket, it didn't want to fit. That's when I put the HELP call out. Thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

I just checked my 68 and 69 AIM manuals, and also my car. It makes no sense to have the twist bracket up against the fiberglass body. Both AIM's very distinctly show the twist reinforcement on the outside of the "C" bracket on two different pages, and then the bumper outer bolt goes through the reinforcement. Lou.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:46 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

The angle of the reinforcement lines up perfectly with the angle of the face of the "C" bracket. Lou.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by loup68
I just checked my 68 and 69 AIM manuals, and also my car. It makes no sense to have the twist bracket up against the fiberglass body. Both AIM's very distinctly show the twist reinforcement on the outside of the "C" bracket on two different pages, and then the bumper outer bolt goes through the reinforcement. Lou.
I have the 1969 assembly manual. It's useless to determine what goes where. Now I only saw the bumper assembly photo on 1 page. I will look for the 2nd page you refer too. Maybe you have a different manual.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

I looked again at the assembly manual, found a 2nd page with a not so great photo of the C bracket and twist bracket. Trying to "read" the way the parts overlay, the C bracket could very well go against the fiberglass but when I tried that route the other day, the twist bracket really didn't want to lay flat.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
I just looked at the 71 AIM, UPC 14, Sheet A3.
It indicates the 2 small brackets are to be placed reversed of the way I have them.
I don't know why I put them in the position shown in my photo?
Maybe just because I wasn't paying attention?
Regards,
Alan
TWINRAY (04-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 front bumper "twist" bracket

Old 04-27-2017, 09:41 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Thanks Alan, while I'm not a structural engineer, I'm not convinced it really matters a whole lot. It's all tied together anyway. As I mentioned, mine seems to go together easier with the twist bracket directly against the fiberglass. Stay cool.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi TR,
I think I put the bumper back on the car about 12 years ago.
When I was installing the large corner brackets I used the marks left in the steel from the serrated washers as a guide for the bracket and bolts placement.
I guess I saw that 'space' between the small C shaped bracket and fiberglass and thought ….well that twisted bracket fills the gap and inserted it.
I like to think I did 'nothing' without referring to the AIM first, but obviously I didn't look EVERY time.
Regards,
Alan

Here are my fastener notes from when I took the car apart…. but nothing about the exact placement of the bracket.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:51 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Notes , you mean I was supposed to take notes . If I was taking notes, I'd still be in the position depicted in the photo.
Thanks for the reply, not sure what my positioning on the twist bracket at this point. Will update .
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1969 front bumper "twist" bracket