Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better visibility for side mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 PM
drmonstaa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Better visibility for side mirrors?

So after a year of letting my vette collect dust due to school, I finally got back to working on it.

One of the issues that had to be addressed was the really bad visibility of the sport mirrors on the '76. It must be more of an issue for short people like me as i only found threads asking how to convert from chromes to sport... (why do i have to be 5'5" )

That being said, i shall inquire about the opposite, how much better is the visibility of chrome mirrors vs sport mirrors, and is it worth it to switch? How about sticking on convex mirrors?
thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The 75-79 so called "large head" mirrors, will give slightly better rearward visibility. They stand up a little bit taller, and have quite a bit more mirror surface. Even so, the rear fender bulges still dominate the view, when using the mirrors.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:55 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Try adjusting your mirrors as suggested in the article below. Have an open mind. Then get out on a highway and try it out. Simply amazing! I was skeptical at first, but after driving with my mirrors this way for a few years, I have no idea how I used to drive the "old" way. Your 'humps" won't be filling up your mirrors if they are properly adjusted...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots

Last edited by 79C3tnd; 04-24-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:05 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by 79C3tnd
Try adjusting your mirrors as suggested in the article below. Have an open mind. Then get out on a highway and try it out. Simply amazing! I was skeptical at first, but after driving with my mirrors this way for a few years, I have no idea how I used to drive the "old" way. Your 'humps" won't be filling up your mirrors if they are properly adjusted...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...id-blind-spots
I agree, if you can see the side of your car in the mirror it's not properly adjusted. Next time your sitting at a light with cars next to you (in any car you own) adjust the right mirror (or left if there are cars to that side) so you can see the car to the right and behind you. When you see that car in your mirror your mirror is adjusted correctly.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 AM
72downunder
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
I agree, if you can see the side of your car in the mirror it's not properly adjusted. Next time your sitting at a light with cars next to you (in any car you own) adjust the right mirror (or left if there are cars to that side) so you can see the car to the right and behind you. When you see that car in your mirror your mirror is adjusted correctly.

Totally. any driver training course will tell you the same. Thats how I have my mirror and I'm a left drive in a driving on the lefthand side of the road country.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi II,
The 68-74 mirror is designed in an interesting way… the 'stalk' doesn't mount to the center of the mirror…. it's off-set.
This off-set allows the mirror to pivot 360 degrees which varies how high/low it is and also how close/far from the door it is.
Might this degree of adjustment be of some help to you?
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 PM
drmonstaa
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for your inputs, i think i'll try the mirror config in that link, and if that doesn't work out i'll go to the chromes.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:04 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi II,
The 68-74 mirror is designed in an interesting way… the 'stalk' doesn't mount to the center of the mirror…. it's off-set.
This off-set allows the mirror to pivot 360 degrees which varies how high/low it is and also how close/far from the door it is.
Might this degree of adjustment be of some help to you?
Regards,
Alan

Also notice the "small" side of the up/down offset is at the bottom. Even though the mirror can be rotated 360 degrees the "small" side should be down. This raises up the mirror. I've seen some pictures of member's cars that have it up-side-down. If it's up-side-down it will be too low and all you'll see is the rear fender hump.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:49 PM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

What about getting a backup camera? I'm thinking about it myself. I really like the cam in my wife's Edge.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:13 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by army
What about getting a backup camera? I'm thinking about it myself. I really like the cam in my wife's Edge.
Ya, my wife's Explorer has one. It's nice but to be honest I forget it's even there most of the time. Call me old school.

Do you plan on keeping it on all the time? Also backup cams don't really show you the blind spot.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The side view mirrors in my '78 only let me know that the rear fenders are still attached. The inside mirrors verifies the retention of the roll bar and the rear spoiler. I bought a backup camera and 5" monitor from Amazon for $30. The camera is mounted on the back of the roll bar and since it's wide-angle the rear vision is very good.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

How about you turn your neck and look?

Momma taught me to check the mirrors first....look over my shoulder....mirrors again.....then move.

I do this in my Corvette, my motorcycle and in 10 Ton armored vehicles.

Adjust the mirrors.....but ALWAYS look. Mom was never wrong.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:32 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Several years ago I approached a company (I forget the name) which once made a high quality stick-on driver's side convex mirror for the C4 about doing a run for the "big" C3 sports. Unfortunately, they weren't interested enough to even site how many would be necessary for a minimum order. If anyone might know of a source offering that fitment today, please fill me in.

However...

Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 AM
army
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Ya, my wife's Explorer has one. It's nice but to be honest I forget it's even there most of the time. Call me old school.

Do you plan on keeping it on all the time? Also backup cams don't really show you the blind spot.
I have a bunch of antique tractors and golf carts and a bone stock flathead V8 `50 Ford F47 pickup so I'm somewhat old school myself. I'd like a backup cam for the truck too but I don't see them as a replacement for side mirrors. More like an extra point of view. I'd leave it on all the time not just when I'm in reverse.

Get notified of new replies

To Better visibility for side mirrors?

Quick Reply: Better visibility for side mirrors?