Tips for selling a Corvette Privately

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
M guys in Ithaca are all liberal and hate guns and stuff
Which is ironic, considering Ithaca Guns was founded there.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:49 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird

Entire building has been leveled accept the smoke stack.

Big clean up problem involving the EPA over lead bullets that were
shot into the hillside when the guns were tested.

Last edited by mark79,80; 04-27-2017 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Richard Daugird (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:07 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunracer
Police stations and guns really not needed
Wow, and you are from San Francisco!!

I'm an old fart and pretty shocked at how devious, evil, and totally disrespectful some people can be, so I'm standing by my rule!
Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 PM
C369GS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I've sold quite a few cars on eBay and never had a non-paying bidder. I know it happens but I don't think it's a reason to avoid eBay. I've also taken cashiers checks and, as suggested, I have the buyer present the check at my local bank so they can verify it. The title is retained until the check is cleared and any holds are released.

For wire transfers, we have a separate bank account that rarely has any money in it. As soon as the wired funds show up, they are moved to another account. Personally, I prefer wire transfers since most of my sales have been to other parts of the country and the car is usually being shipped.

If you do go the eBay route, take lots of pictures of the car top to bottom. Make a video of it running and show close-ups of the interior, body and engine compartment. Include any flaws as well. Take the time to tell the story of the car and really market it. So many eBay listings have a brief, relatively meaningless paragraph with few pictures; they tend not to fare well or draw the best prices.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
No offense to the OP, but Ithaca is one of the most liberal, hippy, crunchy, eco friendly, tree hugging bullzhit cities in all of NY. Dont get me wrong, I spend half my summers there hiking and exploring the local waterfalls, but I make dam sure that my concealed pistol stays WELL hidden in that part of town.

Not to take this post off course, but NY has actually become the most gun unfriendly state in the union. Our new 'SAFE' act virtually banned semi automatic weapons overnight and imposed HUGE restrictions on ammunition purchases. I had been home from my last deployment less than 30 days and in one evening found out most the firearms I owned were now contraband. Its a sorry state of affairs here.

Now back to topic. Rant off.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by pws69
Here is my rule: Meet me at the [local] Police Station and bring cash.
whoa... no... theres a good chance they will confiscate your cash and ask questions later. especially if you are from out of state. will take you a year of lawyering to get your money back.. too many horror stories out there regarding forfeiture laws.
MISTERZ06 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

This is what I did when I bought my C3, it worked out fine for both of us.

Originally Posted by Sunracer
Police stations and guns really not needed, I second the advice here:

Meet at your bank, let them count it for you

Cashiers Check or money order, have them verify

Wire to your account, then move funds to another one as soon as it arrives
Old 04-27-2017, 12:06 AM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Ok :)

Originally Posted by pws69
Wow, and you are from San Francisco!!

I'm an old fart and pretty shocked at how devious, evil, and totally disrespectful some people can be, so I'm standing by my rule!
SF has nothing to do with it, silly assumption on your part

I never have to ever carry the cash, goes straight to deposit, banker there to check validity of bills or monetary instrument.

Police don't offer that service.

Easiest and safest method that's all.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

It looks like I will have a hard time buying a cars in USA in the future.........
Old 04-27-2017, 08:52 AM
71 Vert LS1
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 295 Posts

Wire transfer is the best. Cash and meeting at the bank is second best.

Keep in mind you can't wire transfer to or from a bank on the weekend. Also later Friday can be a problem if it's close to 4 PM. Time zones also make a difference.

On the other hand represent the car the best you can. List the high points and the low points. Best way to turn off a possible buyer is not telling the whole car story.

Also if the buyer starts out with a call asking for more details. Listen to his or her questions to see if they really have a clue about the car you are selling. Ask them questions about their current cars. If they seem flaky they most likely theyare.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:00 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
Also if the buyer starts out with a call asking for more details. Listen to his or her questions to see if they really have a clue about the car you are selling. Ask them questions about their current cars. If they seem flaky they most likely they are.
I don't think that paragraph is accurate:

Some people don't have a clue about Corvettes, have always liked them and finally can get one. Don't throw them out because they want to know what T-Tops mean or how the seat belts work on a Corvette...and nobody should care about the other cars they have.

People can be a bit flaky and still have the cash to buy. Heck, I'm flaky and buy all the time!!! And if you label me when I drive up with my 2003 260,000 mile GMC extended cab pickup...you did wrong!

Chuck M

Last edited by hotmotorsports; 04-27-2017 at 09:02 AM.
MISTERZ06 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 11:14 AM
71 Vert LS1
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 295 Posts

My comment about flaky calls maybe wasn't written well.

Mostly questions like "How fast is it" or "Will it smoke the tires?" tend to turn me off.

I've sold a few of my cars to people that have done their research and have some knowledge of what they are looking for in a car especially if it's a hot rod of some sort.

I'm happy to sell to anyone with the funds to buy the car.

BTW good luck with the sale.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

First ask if they even have the money period seems todays world has become a free for all flea market mentality

Been trying to sell 2 cars for a year
only 1 actually had the money

Rest said all the right things then the punchline came....trade for?

Had a guy email off CL few days back and offer to trade a used commercial printer for my Silverado. He was serious as a heart attack

Some kid who looked at it 6 mos ago after hrs of convincing me he was coming to come and cash me out offers me a dirt bike and trade a Saturn he just financed a few days prior.....then caled 2 days ago offering me a fd up ranger and his dirt bike again. Yeah my wheelchair would tow it great

Last edited by cv67; 04-27-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:09 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
Wire transfer is the best. Cash and meeting at the bank is second best.

Keep in mind you can't wire transfer to or from a bank on the weekend. Also later Friday can be a problem if it's close to 4 PM. Time zones also make a difference.

On the other hand represent the car the best you can. List the high points and the low points. Best way to turn off a possible buyer is not telling the whole car story.

Also if the buyer starts out with a call asking for more details. Listen to his or her questions to see if they really have a clue about the car you are selling. Ask them questions about their current cars. If they seem flaky they most likely theyare.
Won't some people have a problem with wire transferring the money before they have access to the title? I would not have a problem with doing that with an established car dealer, but would with an individual I did not know.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 PM
momo608
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Claim the car is in excellent condition especially if it isn't, the farther they have to travel to find out the true horror the better. Play dumb to any obvious problems. Say you have all the receipts for it's restoration and hand them receipts for every car part you ever bought even if it isn't for the car they are buying. Raise the price after they come to see it.

These are some of things I have encountered repeatedly so all these sellers must have access to the same advice on how to sell their car.
The following 2 users liked this post by momo608:
mark79,80 (04-28-2017), Metalhead140 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

IMHO, this has, again, gotten out of hand. It's just selling a car, remember that.

I live in AZ, so I always carry a weapon, whether in my pocket or on my side, but I always have one. That's the way Americans should handle themselves, but that's my opinion, and I'm not forcing it on anybody. (But don't call me when the **** hits the fan and you need help)

The other thing, no matter what anybody else says, "in God we trust, all others pay cash". If you live by those 2 simple rules, you never have an issue. KISS principle (not heard of around here), Keep It Simple Stupid.

Good luck

Last edited by USAFVeteran; 04-28-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Tips for selling a Corvette Privately