Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Corvette as a first car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:41 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I have time to think about this. Might wait a few years, get some more driving experience and get my insurance to go down, then I'll look at these Corvettes once more.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think you should realize that people on this forum are not necessarily the right people to ask about this. While they all supposedly share a love of the car, they also enjoy talking about how difficult these cars are to maintain. Even though they are far simpler than any modern vehicle. If you want to live in fear, then buy a boring modern car. If you want to live.......with the requirement it takes effort, care money and determination, then you might think about taking on the challenge. Or, you could just take the safe way out......just don't lose the desire.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 05-01-2017 at 07:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
Metalhead140 (05-01-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I think you should realize that people on this forum are not necessarily the right people to ask about this. While they all supposedly share a love of the car, they also enjoy talking about how difficult these cars are to maintain. Even though they are far simpler than any modern vehicle. If you want to live in fear, then buy a boring modern car. If you want to live.......with the requirement it takes effort, care money and determination, then you might think about taking on the challenge. Or, you could just take the safe way out......just don't lose the desire.
I mean, I've worked on a '65 mustang with my friend, and that wasn't too much for me. I can afford the car and would love it, it's just outside voices always help my decisions, especially with something like this.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:54 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by M4A3E2
I have time to think about this. Might wait a few years, get some more driving experience and get my insurance to go down, then I'll look at these Corvettes once more.

Smart idea. Most older folks like me look back at when they were 18 and wonder how they made it. The Corvette you are looking at would be a good choice if you were working a few years and could buy a car that would be a toy for weekends and sunny days. When I was young and stupid I bought a 1964 Triumph TR-4 to use as my daily driver for an 80 mile round trip commute from home in NE PA (snow in the winter) to graduate school. Fun car.......when it was running. I wisely switched to a Mustang and had to do far less roadside repairs.

You might also be better able in a couple years to buy a Vette with greater collector value. If you read this forum you will find that the plastic bumper C3 cars are less desirable than the 1968-72 cars with chrome bumpers. They cost a little more, but will probably keep getting more valuable.

Sounds like we will read about your first 'Vette on this forum in a couple years. Hope you find a good one.
The following users liked this post:
M4A3E2 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

Sit down with your Dad and read over all the replies. Then you guys decide together.
M4A3E2 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:07 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
Sit down with your Dad and read over all the replies. Then you guys decide together.
Sounds good! Might save the money I have, wait a few years, and get one of the 68-69 ones.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

You have an Uncle guiding you in this endeavor. He has some experience and knowledge of Vettes. You have gained some experience getting your knuckles busted and hands greasy. You have the finances to make the purchase. Sounds like it push came to shove you could buy a $1,500 back-up. It appears to be a very sound vehicle from the start. SO I would say: GO FOR IT!!! Keep your eyes open, knowing you will have to put money, time, effort, money, love, sweat, tears and MONEY into it. As I was once told anything with tires is gonna give you trouble sooner or later. There are times coming ahead of you when you may not have the opportunities before you such as you have now. Sometimes the grumpy old men are just jealous. Each eighteen year old is different. If I could I would buy my 18 y/o daughter without a second thought. My oldest son when he was 18 had a high performance Z28 . It "wore off" and he sold it. Now married, he drives a Suburban. Drive it respectfully, treat it like a queen (you will always remember her and wish you hadn't of sold her) but buy it. You will end up with a Corolla sedan and a minivan soon enough. Sometimes the grumpy old men have good insight, and don't ignore them (or rebel against your Dad if he is deadest against it) but they aren't always right either. There is good help here if you run into problems. Be careful, be aware of problems and difficulties you may run into, but don't be afraid to buy it and enjoy it.
Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodzone
Old 05-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,414 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Girls.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:39 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Get a cheap 1500 beater import as a backup and get the corvette..if its priced fair with low mi hard to go wrong

Youll have to wrench on it here and there but youll have to with any used car

Cost of fixing is cheaper than en EFI car, very simple to work on and learn about cars..these are so underpowered if you ask me safe compared to a 400hp SUV

Why keep the guy from enjoying his hobby sounds like a safe bet to me. Not a lot of 15k mi C3s running around doesnt mean it has to be your only car

These things were made to drive we all know the C3s arent some rocketship so go get it.

Had that same speech when I was a kid;sure there is logic to it but lifes too short; wound up buying a 67 rs drove it everywhere everyday only had 1 thing break in many yrs of being that idiot...still
alive!

Good point, many have or have been turned back so op look at overall condition. If its mechanically sound dont see why not
He's 18 and is concerned about being able to afford insurance on a corvette , let alone another car too . Nice to dream about but a bad idea unless you have a rich daddy !
Old 05-01-2017, 08:49 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by ronarndt
Smart idea. Most older folks like me look back at when they were 18 and wonder how they made it. The Corvette you are looking at would be a good choice if you were working a few years and could buy a car that would be a toy for weekends and sunny days. When I was young and stupid I bought a 1964 Triumph TR-4 to use as my daily driver for an 80 mile round trip commute from home in NE PA (snow in the winter) to graduate school. Fun car.......when it was running. I wisely switched to a Mustang and had to do far less roadside repairs.

You might also be better able in a couple years to buy a Vette with greater collector value. If you read this forum you will find that the plastic bumper C3 cars are less desirable than the 1968-72 cars with chrome bumpers. They cost a little more, but will probably keep getting more valuable.

Sounds like we will read about your first 'Vette on this forum in a couple years. Hope you find a good one.
I have to agree that if you wanted a dependable car for every day use it would not be a British car with Lucas electrics. I also had a Triumph TR4A and a Bug Eye Sprite and both would quit in a rain storm if you hit a puddle and the electrics would get wet. Dry it out and they would run fine until the next rain. Funny thing , doesn't it rain almost all of the time where these cars came from ?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:59 PM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
He's 18 and is concerned about being able to afford insurance on a corvette , let alone another car too . Nice to dream about but a bad idea unless you have a rich daddy !
Money most certainly isn't an issue. I don't actually have to worry about insurance and the sort, it's just I've been raised to be more frugal so I think about stuff like that.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

You only live once, and you don't know how long you've got until it's gone. If you're really keen on it, and willing to work on it yourself then go for it. Every part you need and all the information you need to do any work on it is available on via google. Worst that can happen is it'll cost you a bunch and you'll sell it and know that it's not for you. Better that than always wondering what might have been!
The following 2 users liked this post by Metalhead140:
jr73 (05-01-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Well, you've definitely got exceptionally good classic car instincts. You have obviously thought it through. I wouldn't buy a POS Honda or Toyota but Please (twice) buy your favorite C3 in the future .,.as a first rate hobby car. Not now. You need more reliable transportation at your life stage. The C3 is relatively reliable, but not to the level that you need right now. Any classic car demands a lot of attention so don't tie yourself down in your still highly formative phase where you have s growing list of higher priorities as you get your life firmly on track. But when you are finally ready, there will be many exceptional cars for you to choose from starting with some of the guys/gals on this forum who sinfully spoil their beautiful cars in hopes that someone who appreciates them like you will come along someday.

You
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Lets see here an 18 year old guy driving a C3 as a daily driver.
Why not?
All of us here was 18 once, optimistic and fearless. If I had a chance to own a Vette when I was 18 I would have done it, I certainly would have loved to have had that experience. Are they practical? Nope but who cares when you're 18. You deserve to find out on your own if it was a bad idea or not. Looking back I would have some pretty cool stories to tell. I hope no one talks you out of the adventure that every young American guy should have in his soul. If you learn it was a mistake who cares, you will bounce back. You have the rest of your life to drive a Volvo.
The following 2 users liked this post by jr73:
Metalhead140 (05-01-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 11:21 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jr73
Lets see here an 18 year old guy driving a C3 as a daily driver.
Why not?
All of us here was 18 once, optimistic and fearless. If I had a chance to own a Vette when I was 18 I would have done it, I certainly would have loved to have had that experience. Are they practical? Nope but who cares when you're 18. You deserve to find out on your own if it was a bad idea or not. Looking back I would have some pretty cool stories to tell. I hope no one talks you out of the adventure that every young American guy should have in his soul. If you learn it was a mistake who cares, you will bounce back. You have the rest of your life to drive a Volvo.

You only live once, enjoy life.

I say go for it!

Last edited by blk79nj; 05-01-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:19 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

I was 18 when I used all of my savings of $3,000 for a down payment on a brand new 1980 Corvette costing $15,5XX. And this was my only car.
I soon learned how impractical his car could be. Only one girl at a time, tires and brakes wearing out more often then I care to admit. A constant insecure driveabilty in anything but good weather. Everybody wanted to take me on knowing of course these 'vettes are so weak, always finding trouble for me in more ways then one.

I don't care what anybody says, Corvettes in general are not the easiest cars to drive for people that are (what's the best way to say this?), not mature and respectful of this car's limitations and restrictions. If I had to do it all over again that purchase at 18 would have waited, and as a second car too so that it would get the care it deserved.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Corvette as a first car?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:34 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Ok. Well at 17, I bought a car that was then a bit over 20 years old, lots of electrical and vacuum accessories, worked v8 with a carb, really not that dissimilar to a Vette. I'd never really worked on a car before, but I was keen to learn. I loved it, cost me a bunch and I could barely afford to put fuel in it, but I wouldn't change it for anything. That is the newest car I've ever owned. I now do all my own work, bodywork, paint, wiring, engine and gearbox conversions, everything. If you are passionate about old cars, you'll run them, fix them, patch them as needed and enjoy. If not, you'll soon work out it's not for you, but I'm sure you won't regret having given it a shot. I drive 35 miles (each way) to work every day, and I own 2 1970s vehicles, no newer car. It can be done, if you have the will. I'm 32, and could easily own a new car, but I have no desire to.
The following 2 users liked this post by Metalhead140:
jr73 (05-02-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 12:44 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Something to think about,

This is priced high for a base coupe. Maybe with more documentation, an L-82 and perhaps a four speed, this car could justify the current price as long as the exterior is like the interior for 15k miles.
Keep in mind the miles will fly by when you take it out for those beautiful weekend drives and soon your low miles '76 'vette will loose a big chunk and quickly becomes just a clean 76 worth about $9 to $11K providing nothing more has changed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z06LMB:
Metalhead140 (05-02-2017), Richard Daugird (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:04 AM
M4A3E2
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06LMB
Something to think about,

This is priced high for a base coupe. Maybe with more documentation, an L-82 and perhaps a four speed, this car could justify the current price as long as the exterior is like the interior for 15k miles.
Keep in mind the miles will fly by when you take it out for those beautiful weekend drives and soon your low miles '76 'vette will loose a big chunk and quickly becomes just a clean 76 worth about $9 to $11K providing nothing more has changed.
Here's some images of the exterior. And you're right, even as a Sunday/perfect weather leisure drive car, those miles are going to quickly stack up.

Quick Reply: C3 Corvette as a first car?