It's alive !

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:52 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Good Save on the engine!

Welcome to the multi-wheeled Forum.........

Doorgunner , Didn't know you had a Harley. It looks like the 80 Fat Bob that I had years ago !
Old 05-11-2017, 12:02 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Khibbs
I'm totally excited for you...that HUGE news! If someone's not excited that a C3 has just fired back to life they are on the wrong forum..haha.

Congrats on the progress and thanks for sharing. It amazes me that someone wouldn't just throw a breaker bar on the crank pulley to determine if the engine is locked up. Hope you got a deal on her if that's what the PO thought.

Definitely check the calipers. I had mine redone with the stainless steel sleeves and I-rings vs the lip seal.

Keep up up the good work and posting as you go.

Khibbs
Actually, when I got it and they told me the engine was locked up I didn't think too much about because I have another motor that's ready to rock and roll ! I thought I was going to just pull it and replace it ! Once I got it in my shop I couldn't get it out of my head that I needed to at least find out for sure that I wouldn't run ! So now it fires right up ! I found out tonite that I have a brake line hose that isn't letting fluid through it so we'll try to get one from the parts car ! Right side is fine , left side not so good ! Lol
More to come so stay tuned and don't touch that dial !! Haha
Thanks everyone fo the great advice!!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:25 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

It took a lot of blood , sweat , and tears but , I have a corvette that moves under its own power again ! toughest part was getting the brakes to work again ! Finally for the first time I was able to drive mine today ! That would be two firsts , first time to drive mine and first time to drive a c-3 ! I be doing my happy dance!!
Old 05-20-2017, 05:21 PM
68l-36ragtop
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome job! Gets me excited to fire mine up for first time ...
The following users liked this post:
SPCL FX (05-22-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 11:32 PM
Darth Z
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! You really can't believe what people tell you when you buy an older vehicle. The guy I got my Tahoe from told me the shop told him that the truck needed a new block. I tore it down the the short block, and the only thing I found wrong with is, was the intake manifold gaskets were old, and the part around the front water jacket on both sides, had broken off, and filled the crankcase with water. Honestly could have fixed it for less than $200.
SPCL FX (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 68l-36ragtop
Awesome job! Gets me excited to fire mine up for first time ...
There's almost nothing better ! Oh wait , maybe driving it !
Wanna see when you get yours running!!😎
Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Darth Z
Congrats! You really can't believe what people tell you when you buy an older vehicle. The guy I got my Tahoe from told me the shop told him that the truck needed a new block. I tore it down the the short block, and the only thing I found wrong with is, was the intake manifold gaskets were old, and the part around the front water jacket on both sides, had broken off, and filled the crankcase with water. Honestly could have fixed it for less than $200.
I know , right! I just couldn't not try ! They truly thought that it was locked up and if it weren't for all the motors that I've pulled and replaced and then finally getting tired of it and I built a 454 for my 73 Nova and installed that ! That took almost a year with all the extra stuff that had to happen ( springs, brackets , cables , going thru the tranny making it all new and a shift kit ) what I did to that made this a piece of cake! 😂
Today I took the headlite switch from my parts car and plugged it in and found out the lines were on ! They act like they want to come up as well but I'm not sure yet if they are catching at the top or just need to be lubricated ! Ran out time though so will try again tomorrow!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Darth Z
Advanced

Awesome SPCL! This was my first pull/rebuild/replace, and it was a great learning experience. Sounds like you car is coming along, slowly but surely, and that is always good!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:57 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Awesome SPCL! This was my first pull/rebuild/replace, and it was a great learning experience. Sounds like you car is coming along, slowly but surely, and that is always good!
Actually it was out side my shop for almost two months with nothing happening to it at all ! Seems to be moving along nicely now though ! Got my shifter ball n button plus lock ***** yesterday and I pulled the headlite switch from the parts car and I have headlites now but actuators aren't working or I have a vacuum leak or both and the tail lites have a blown fuse ! The brake lites work and that's a good thing ! Just need to find out who stole the upper dash pad so I can get it back in go thru all the parts I have and figure out what I have and what I need ! But you are correct while it's gonna take some time I'd like to be able to tag it before winter comes ! So times wastin n I gotta go for now!!
Old 05-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Darth Z
Advanced

Oh, I know all about what you're going though. Having a project sit for months, looking for parts, finding new probs, etc. I've got a project that I have had for about 3 years. At times it sat for several months, but when I do work on it, I get s@$# done!

Gotta play with one of my toys this weekend. I have had it tagged and insured for over a year. Drove it a little bit, but it wasn't running right. Part of it was timing, the other was 3 O2 sensor codes. One of the codes was easily diagnosed, melted plug. Ofcourse it had to be the one on the wiring harness and NOT the one on the O2 sensor!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:30 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Sorry it took so long to reply back but between the 9 year old and my wife and all the other crazy in my life it's difficult to find me time any more! Hope you found time to play your toys ! I was skipping lunch just to find time do anything at all mine but I did find out I have a lot more parts than I thought ! When I first got it there were a bunch of loose parts that I put in a couple of old milk crates and things I thought were missing became things that were just pulled off ! Plus I took the seat sliders off the old seats and once I find time I'll bead blast them and paint black and put them on the new seats ! I also have all the lites working all though they are winkers! I get one to start to come up about halfway then the other pops up then the 1st one goes all the way . Then when I shut them down the first one goes down then about a delay of like a minute and a half and the other slams shut! All I did to them though so far was cut off the ends of the vacume lines at the actuators so I believe I need to replace all the lines and then see what I have ! Then last Saturday I took a pressure washer to it and did the engine compartment and the whole underside and found the front shock still have the original stickers from delco on them !! Still gotta find a dash and everything to mount it and find a drivers side glass and a few other things but it's all coming along and I hope to start the body work soon !! For now I better get some sleep so I stop dropping this iPad ! 😂
Take care all and I'll try to check in again soon!!:
e
BV85 (06-03-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 03:25 AM
Darth Z
Advanced

Ahhh, it's cool! I know how that is. Well, I didn't get to work on my project. I was busy one day, and couldn't find help the other.

Sounds like you have quite the jigsaw puzzle there. Hope you can remember what goes where! My dad's 82 always had issues with the headlights. If I remember correctly, been a long time since it was on the road, one side worked close to normal, but the other always stuck. He would turn the headlights on, rev the car, and I would have to go up front and assist the headlight to come up. Sounds like both cars have the same issue, with low vacuum. Time to change out thos vacuum lines!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:52 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Ahhh, it's cool! I know how that is. Well, I didn't get to work on my project. I was busy one day, and couldn't find help the other.

Sounds like you have quite the jigsaw puzzle there. Hope you can remember what goes where! My dad's 82 always had issues with the headlights. If I remember correctly, been a long time since it was on the road, one side worked close to normal, but the other always stuck. He would turn the headlights on, rev the car, and I would have to go up front and assist the headlight to come up. Sounds like both cars have the same issue, with low vacuum. Time to change out thos vacuum lines!
I only wish I had been the one to take it apart ! The two guys that I got it from bought it about five years earlier and they just kinda pushed it around the body shop from what I gather ! The two guys they got it from one owned an old set of warehouses and the other a towing and recovery company with a yard there and the story that I'm getting is the car was abandoned there so the property owner called the towing/recovery guy so when he moved it to his yard he did the paper work and received a title for it ! I know all this because before I bought it I had to track down the towing/recovery guy because his name was still on the title and I was told I needed a bill of sale so the state couldn't come back on me for not paying enough sales tax on it !
On a different note about a month and a half ago I lost my best friend to cancer ! Him and his wife had a house both here and in Wisconsin and they would go there when summer started and come back at tax season because that's what she does for work each year ! Anyway she called me and had me come over because she was getting ready to go back to Wisconsin till next year . The reason for for it was so that I could pickup and take care of his motorcycle for her ! It was his dads before he died and she wants me to ride it so it will stay in good running shape while she is gone ! So know I have a new toy to play with as well ! Here's a few pics of it !!

To say the the least it is an awesome machine and fun to ride , my daughter loves the sidecar and we get a lot of looks and smiles when we in it ! Even a guy in a brand new Vette and I found each other staring as we passed each other! Haha
Well better get to work hope you find time to play with yours and make sure you put up a pic when you do!!
Old 06-11-2017, 05:11 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

I finally took the headlight switch fro the 79 parts car and used it to be able to turn the lights on ! Doing that made the headlights come on , one tail light and the rear marker lights ! The missing tail light was a missing bulb , the right marker ( front , side ) was a blown bulb , right front marker,blinker was a broken bulb! The left front side marker was a missing bulb ! Got all those working now including the brake lights and the flashers so here is my problem!! If I put on the turn signal the left rear tail light goes out and no blinking front or rear same thing if I put the right blinker on ! Also if I plug in a bulb (new) in the left front turn/marker socket the side marker turns dim and the lit still doesn't come on or blink front or rear! Wondering if I have a ground issue or a short and mine being a 77 has the turn signal/ windshield wiper and high beam switch altogether and I know that the high beam part of it doesn't work so I'm not sure where to start first at this point! Any suggestions anyone?😎
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

I want to apologize to everyone that was following this thread ! Back when I started this I was excited about getting it running and I reached a point where I thought I should start a build thread !

I just happen to run into this while searching the forum unrelated to it so I stopped and read thru it and realized that I didn't let everyone know about my build thread !

Just in case anyone that was following this would like to see where I've gotten to so far my build thread is titled 77 Build, Stage One !

Hope to see everyone over there !

doorgunner (04-24-2018)

Quick Reply: It's alive !