Wiper Door Vacuum Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 04:55 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by fever1
I'll check it, do I do this with the car running or stopped with the vac pump to the center nipple and the red hose plugged or with car stopped and trying to pump vac to the valve?
Once the door is open and the wiper arms are sweeping away from the switch... pause the arms from inside the car on the cut off over-ride switch.. Then shut the car off..

Your just testing the switch only, so pull the middle hose, attach your vacuum pump to this middle plug and pump up about 20 lbs of vacuum.. Then watch the switch and see if it leaks down.

Willcox
Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM
fever1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default wiper door (confused)

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Once the door is open and the wiper arms are sweeping away from the switch... pause the arms from inside the car on the cut off over-ride switch.. Then shut the car off..

Your just testing the switch only, so pull the middle hose, attach your vacuum pump to this middle plug and pump up about 20 lbs of vacuum.. Then watch the switch and see if it leaks down.

Willcox
I did as you said and works good, does not leak down, this switch came from Pacifica corvettes and they said they were good switches I assumed it was an import due to it having the white plunger but I don't know but it works, and Thanks again. I had tried to buy one from you and when I called the lady said they were on back order and check in about a month so do you have them now the true American one I have other C3s and might want a spare.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

I did as you said and works good, does not leak down
WOW, I would strongly recommend you go buy a lottery ticket!
Old 06-02-2017, 02:58 PM
fever1
Instructor

Default wiper door (confused)

Originally Posted by Dave J
WOW, I would strongly recommend you go buy a lottery ticket!
Amen! I feel I deserve it since I've lost sleep and been screwing with this problem for about 2 months trying to figure out how it worked, thanks again, learned a lot. I done a body off on this car back in 1984 and its been setting upon blocks since, just had to finish and this was upsetting me to no end, its now ready to come out of the shop.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Drive It!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 AM
fever1
Instructor

Agree Dave J, I'll take it on a trial run this coming week, then to an outside show on the 24th, good Lord willing, Amen! Again thanks for the help.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

So - follow-up questions:
I've got a new 'good" switch from Willcox - appears to hold vacuum when tested, so I'm going to go ahead and install it.
Based on Alan's photo's of the switch alignment to the parked wiper trans bracket, it appears that there is a nice flush/square contact between the two. Mine is tending to hit the switch more of angle.
The best contact I can achieve, is if I reverse the order of the Driver and passenger arms, allowing the passenger arm to park first, under the driver arm. This gets the passenger trans bracket as close to 0 degrees and flush to the switch face as possible.
Only trouble is, this then causes the blades to interfere with eachother at about mid-sweep, even with adjusting them as much as possible at the center adjustment slides (at the motor shaft interface).
What is the proper over/under of the wiper arms? Driver over Passenger? Or under?
The park position rest bracket for the blade (at the base of the glass) is on the passenger side only, so it would seem that the passenger arm wants to park first.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

When I install wiper arm switches I almost always have to adjust the mount bracket that it attaches to. Typically it favors the "starboard" side of the car. I simply use a pair of needle nose vice grips. Use the full length of the jaws and grip the bracket midway to "nudge" it into the correct position relative to the top of the plunger. It normally doesn't take much persuasion.

I wouldn't mess with the wiper arms at all.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Update:
I've got everything working correctly - Yay!
Remaining question relates to the routing of the 3 hoses coming from the vacuum valve.
Alan's photos of his '71 looks like the hoses all take a 90 degree turn forward and go directly through the plenum wall to the engine compartment. My hole/grommet on my '69 is more inboard than that, so I'm not sure how to best route the hoses to go across the ~6-8" to get to my pass-through hole without getting tangled in the transmission.
Also, What is the best routing for the 3rd "open" hose which goes nowhere? Can this hose stay in the plenum and just get routed down the outboard drain trough? Or does it need to also go through to the engine compartment, and then where?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bb,
Your right.
On 69 (and other years?) the hoses from the safety switch DO exit the firewall closer to the distributor.
In the 69 AIM on UPC 12, Sheet A8, there's a note that indicates the 'vent' hose should extend through the firewall 1-1/2".
Regards,
Alan

Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Bergerboy
Pro

Thanks (as usual) Alan.
I would think the vent hose would at least not want to just sit loosely in the trough. Might end up getting water in it, etc.
I'll check the AIM for the proper routing of all 3 within the plenum. Not sure if it clips up to the hanger that the alarm switch wires hang from.

Now that all this is done, I'm moving ahead to try to get the headlight washers working. I bought a new diverter valve to split the headlights from the windshield washers, but it doesn't seem to be operating correctly yet.
Does anyone have these working right? Does the diverter valve give any feedback when it actuates between windshield and headlight washer modes?
I know it is functioned by either pressing/releasing versus pressing/holding the wiper button, but I would think you'd be able to hear/feel the solenoid actuating within the valve when working the button.
Not sure if the new valve is working, or what..........
Old 07-21-2017, 04:40 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Bb,
The AIM page I noted isn't very clear about the routing of the hoses beyond pointing out that the vent hose should extend through the firewall grommet 1-1/2".
The other 2 hoses are pretty easy to figure out though, one has to hook to a vacuum supply coming across the firewall and the other has to go to the metal port on the headlight door actuator.
Sorry, but I can't really help with your washer questions… simply no experience at all with that system.
Regards,
Alan
Old 09-16-2020, 09:10 AM
1969kid
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default threaded wiper mounts

Can anyone tell me were I can purchase the mounting bracket the wiper linkage attaches to?

I need these gold or black mounts for wiper linkage. Where can i buy them? thanks!

Last edited by 1969kid; 09-16-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by 1969kid
Can anyone tell me were I can purchase the mounting bracket the wiper linkage attaches to?

I need these gold or black mounts for wiper linkage. Where can i buy them? thanks!
Please start a new thread rather than post an unrelated question to a 3 year old thread.

Quick Reply: Wiper Door Vacuum Switch