Sponsored by:

Meguire's 2.0X scratch remover

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Meguire's 2.0X scratch remover

Has anyone used this product by hand before? I bought a bottle at Carlisle after seeing some miraculous videos. I don't have a proper DA unit. While my car's paint is nice 'n shiny, the PO must have had Stevie Wonder do the paint because it's horrific up close. Lipstick on a pig stuff, but I'd at least like to try and get the swirls out of the clear and there are some hazy areas that need attention too.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:55 AM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Highlander1732
Has anyone used this product by hand before? I bought a bottle at Carlisle after seeing some miraculous videos. I don't have a proper DA unit. While my car's paint is nice 'n shiny, the PO must have had Stevie Wonder do the paint because it's horrific up close. Lipstick on a pig stuff, but I'd at least like to try and get the swirls out of the clear and there are some hazy areas that need attention too.
Ya, I use it by hand all the time on my White Vette and Black Harley. Works well, just put a good coat of wax on it afterwords
Old 05-31-2017, 09:03 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...the PO must have had Stevie Wonder do the paint...
That's uncalled for. You owe Mr. Wonder an apology.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 05-31-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:53 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I use it on all my stuff. Just make sure to throw some wax on top of it after you buff the scratches out.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:56 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

If you haven't already tried I suggest using a clay bar before any abrasive polish. If you're not familiar with clar bars they are safe for any paint finish and capable of performing miracles. They will remove even heavy overspray. Parking lot encounters disappear. Even more serious problems that look like they'll cost hundreds if not thousands to repair can be turned into minor flaws that you have to look to find.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:11 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I use it on all my stuff. Just make sure to throw some wax on top of it after you buff the scratches out.

I've used it for years, always had great results.

I've always applied and removed it by hand though, never used a machine to do it.....and I have never used it for a large area, just scuffs and scratches.

Old 05-31-2017, 04:17 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
The strange thing is, as talented an artist as Stevie Wonder is, I bet he could have done a better job than the hack who painted my car...
Old 05-31-2017, 08:02 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

I've used it for years, always had great results.

I've always applied and removed it by hand though, never used a machine to do it.....and I have never used it for a large area, just scuffs and scratches.

Yes I always do it by hand also... Apply with a foam applicator, take off with a Korean Micro fiber. Then throw some wax on top.... Always works great....
Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 PM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm a big fan of Meguiar's 105 and 205 Professional Grade polishes. I always start with 205, but move to 105 if I need something more aggressive for paint correction. 105 will take out 1,000 grit scratches. I'm pretty sure Scratch X is a consumer retail version of their Pro Grade polishes, but I'm not sure which formulation. If you're correcting an entire car, get yourself a nice DA polisher and don't look back. They are easy to use and produce superior results to hand polishing. Also, you can vary the foam pad material for more (or less) aggressive correction. Good luck!

Last edited by Neil B; 06-01-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:44 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Using a Portor Cable PC 7424 XP while applying the Meguires Scratch X will show superior end results over hand application/removal. You cannot hurt the paint or clear coat with the 7424 XP.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Did U ever see a pic of Stevie's wife? Neither has he.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

The strange thing is, as talented an artist as Stevie Wonder is, I bet he could have done a better job than the hack who painted my car...
Thanks all! I may just have to take the plunge and buy a good DA unit. Probably less than paying someone to do the whole car. And yes, the entire car's clear coat/finish looks like a giant swirl mark. Lots of work ahead with some cold beers, a shade tree and tunes I guess.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 AM
JohnnyQuik
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Post a pic or two of the paint with the sun shining directly on it. Let's see how bad the paint is and we can better advise how to fix it. If it's as bad as you say, it probably needs to be polished with a rotary and something like Megs 105 on a wool or foam cutting pad to start. Whether you pay someone to do this or learn how to do it yourself is up to you, but you can damage paint with tools made to actually fix it if you don't know what you're doing.

A lot of the consumer grade "polishes" that are designed to be applied by hand or with a DA contain a lot of fillers to mask scratches without truly removing them. You should be able to wipe the finish with alcohol when you're done polishing and not see any scratches. Waxes and sealants should just be needed to protect the finish. That's what the phrase "paint correction" means.

A DA buffer is sort of in between doing it by hand and a rotary. It will fix some stuff, but will take longer and is less prone to damage paint.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Post a pic or two of the paint with the sun shining directly on it. Let's see how bad the paint is and we can better advise how to fix it. If it's as bad as you say, it probably needs to be polished with a rotary and something like Megs 105 on a wool or foam cutting pad to start. Whether you pay someone to do this or learn how to do it yourself is up to you, but you can damage paint with tools made to actually fix it if you don't know what you're doing.

A lot of the consumer grade "polishes" that are designed to be applied by hand or with a DA contain a lot of fillers to mask scratches without truly removing them. You should be able to wipe the finish with alcohol when you're done polishing and not see any scratches. Waxes and sealants should just be needed to protect the finish. That's what the phrase "paint correction" means.

A DA buffer is sort of in between doing it by hand and a rotary. It will fix some stuff, but will take longer and is less prone to damage paint.
Thanks, I'll do that once I retrieve the car from down the street. My neighbor's housing it for me while I'm wrenching on another project.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:31 AM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
If you haven't already tried I suggest using a clay bar before any abrasive polish. If you're not familiar with clar bars they are safe for any paint finish and capable of performing miracles. They will remove even heavy overspray. Parking lot encounters disappear. Even more serious problems that look like they'll cost hundreds if not thousands to repair can be turned into minor flaws that you have to look to find.
I use a clay bar on my car all the time.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:32 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Originally Posted by imariver
I use a clay bar on my car all the time.
I am going to get a clay bar after reading all the comments and seeing some great youtube vids. I have a white C4 that could benefit from using it as well. I'll be interested to see how much hidden dirt it pulls from a white car.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:55 AM
929nitro
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I am going to get a clay bar after reading all the comments and seeing some great youtube vids. I have a white C4 that could benefit from using it as well. I'll be interested to see how much hidden dirt it pulls from a white car.
Look into NanoSkin pads. They are used the same way you would use clay. Reason I like NanoSkin pads is if you drop it you can rinse it off and keep going, you drop the clay and you throw it away. Both do a great job.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:46 AM
Polara67
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat

I must have scraped something sharp on the lower portion of the body just behind the door. The clear coat has a serious scratch, and a small piece has started to peel. Any way to fix this?
Old 06-17-2017, 01:21 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
I use clay all the time...even used it on the Jeep because I had failed to move it and when I paint sprayed the trim of my house, the wind drifted the overspray onto the Jeep's paint.

Get notified of new replies

To Meguire's 2.0X scratch remover

Quick Reply: Meguire's 2.0X scratch remover