Sponsored by:

Lower dash skins.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Lower dash skins.

Does any one sell lower dash skins anymore. I used them on a 77 I had about 15 years ago and they worked great.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:30 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

To my knowledge they are no longer available... I just checked the CA site and they don't have them listed either. The issue is that the new lower pads fit like a glove vs. the old lower pads that sucked. My guess is once the pads were fixed CA had no reason to sell the skins... Which I too have installed and they are kind of a royal pain. For our customers in the shop it's cheaper to purchase the pad then buy the skin and then pay us to put it on.

If you do find skins, make sure to patch every bad spot on the dash with silicone, cut out any high spots and just fill them in... then use ice cubes to make it smooth and allow to dry. (old cheat trick). If you do this the silicone will be perfect.

If you decide to go with lower pad assemblies, then sign up for our email on our website and you'll get a good deal on a pair when our next high discount sale starts.

Willcox
Old 06-13-2017, 02:57 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
To my knowledge they are no longer available... I just checked the CA site and they don't have them listed either. The issue is that the new lower pads fit like a glove vs. the old lower pads that sucked. My guess is once the pads were fixed CA had no reason to sell the skins... Which I too have installed and they are kind of a royal pain. For our customers in the shop it's cheaper to purchase the pad then buy the skin and then pay us to put it on.

If you do find skins, make sure to patch every bad spot on the dash with silicone, cut out any high spots and just fill them in... then use ice cubes to make it smooth and allow to dry. (old cheat trick). If you do this the silicone will be perfect.

If you decide to go with lower pad assemblies, then sign up for our email on our website and you'll get a good deal on a pair when our next high discount sale starts.

Willcox

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If your present panels are not broken, repair them with polyester filler and then recolor them with good quality vinyl dye. No one but you will ever know that they have been repaired. Dealerships do this all the time with NEW cars and with used cars being resold. It's no big deal to do.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:42 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If your present panels are not broken, repair them with polyester filler and then recolor them with good quality vinyl dye. No one but you will ever know that they have been repaired. Dealerships do this all the time with NEW cars and with used cars being resold. It's no big deal to do.

Mine has a small dent in it. Maybe I will try that.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:19 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Mine has a small dent in it. Maybe I will try that.
Small dent? Find a upholstery steamer and steam it.. that will make the dent come out... If you don't have a steamer use a heat gun or maybe for you a hot blow drier. If you heat the vinyl it will shrink and probably pull the dent out as it cools... It's an old old upholstery trick.

When the vinyl gets soft from the heat you can form it by laying a soft rag on top the dent and massage the pad through the rag. If you use the rag to do this you'll create a shinny spot so use the rag as a go to. And if you are trying to re-form it.. you heat it, form it and then hit it with a ice cold rag.

IMHO,

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Lower dash skins.

Quick Reply: Lower dash skins.