Tracking down sold 77

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 PM
crazy4c4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tracking down sold 77

All,

Been a long time since I have posted or been to the forums, lots of good memories here. I am looking to see if anyone has seen the 77 that I sold back in 2011. I am hoping to be able to contact the current owner to see if he has any interest in selling the vehicle. My wife and I sold the car when we started having kids and 6 years and three children later we wish that we never had sold the car. She and I traveled to AZ and drove the car back to TX. We were young, and very inexperienced in older cars, and basically bought the car sight unseen. When we arrived to find the car it was not as had been described. Needless to say we drove it back home (replaced cap, rotor, plugs, wires, alternator, battery, and tires along the way). The best memory of the trip was the heater stuck on in 113 degree heat and my wife putting a bag of ice in her lap and saying "lets go!". We found out the next week she was pregnant on this trip with our first child. The car was sold in Belton, TX in 2011 to a very nice gentleman that I think lived in Bryan College Station. I have no other ways that I can think to track down the car so just hoping someone has seen it. I know that we can go get another car and start a new adventure but I would at least like to try to find our old car due to the sentimental value. I hope to not be flamed for this post, I know that we sold the car and should move on but hoping for the best. Anyways, here are some photos that I had of the car. Thanks for reading and for your help!

Old 06-18-2017, 11:55 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I think most of us can understand a sentimental attachment to a car. I don't think anyone is going to flame you.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
I think most of us can understand a sentimental attachment to a car. I don't think anyone is going to flame you.
And a beauty as well ! Good luck on your search!!
Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Only people who believe cars are point A to point B mechanisms would flame you. The rest of us understand.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Do you have the VIN? Old insurance records perhaps?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Nice, late '77, no alarm lock on the fender. Interior color?
Old 06-19-2017, 10:11 PM
crazy4c4
Racer

Thanks all, yes I was able to track down the VIN but that's all that I have. Interior was brown and black, definitely not the most desirable combo of all the vettes out there but was looking / driving good when I sold it.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Start with a title search with the Texas DMV.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 AM
crazy4c4
Racer

Just did a title search on Texas DMV with no matches...was a good idea though
Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you find it and are able to buy it back. I can certainly understand the sentimental value. I had a blue 77 when I met the women that is now my wife. Similar story as yours. Got married and wasn't long before our first son was on the way and could not afford to keep it and get something bigger that would hold more than two people. Regretted selling it for years. Then about ten years ago, I wanted to find it and possibly buy it back. I pray that when and if you find yours that you are not disappointed like I was. I found mine, and the guy was willing to sell it. But I was heart broken to see the shape it was in when I found it. The guy we sold it to did not take care of it, and neither did the second guy who purchased it from him. I found my old 77 sitting in a pole barn building that leaked with the T Tops out. The car was in horrible shape and mice had taken up residence inside the car. The car was immaculate when I sold it and looked brand new as I had recently had it painted. The guy wanted way too much for the car in the shape it was in, so I walked away heart broken having seen the abuse. I hope you find your car and the person who owns it cares as much about it as you did. Good luck :-)
Old 06-22-2017, 12:46 AM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

A law enforcement officer should be able to tell you where the car is currently registered and to whom.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:32 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Hayes00
...A law enforcement officer should be able to tell you where the car is currently registered and to whom...
Careful, there. You could be getting your LEO friend in trouble by asking for that favor since they are not supposed to release the information outside of official channels.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:02 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I almost did sell when we started to have kids too... though would have taken a soaking on it vs. what I put into it. So I kept it and hardly worked on it for about 10 years. This past spring I got back into the game again with it and glad I kept it. Been spending time working on it and finally getting the interior done, fixed the stock radio, fixed the broken never ending heat, and fixing the PO/Bubba fixes I've found (chop job on vacuum hoses under the hood, open vacuum ports, coat hanger on heat riser valve, etc).

Deep down I think I really kept it as it was the one large thing I held onto from before getting married (bought it literally months before getting married...strategic right), and my wife knows she has no say in it.

Really hope you find it and it's in good shape still with the owner willing to sell.

Last edited by raydog9379; 06-22-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Leo could lose his job over that real quick if he helps you its on him though he knows that

Hope you find it..found one of my old ones; sometimes things arent the way you remember them Ill put it that way.

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking down sold 77

Quick Reply: Tracking down sold 77