What's your approach to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:53 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 81vettski
Good luck with the MG Metal. I still have haunting memories of my 79. I think i put more money into that car then i will be putting into the vette. In the cars defense, it was my daily driver and its not meant for that. At least not here!
Thanks! It's the second time I've done it (bare shell rebuild MG Midget) with most of the same parts, and I've had it mechanically apart several times, so nothing much worries me about it. They're simple cars, and I do all my own work. The first time it was assembled from a bare painted shell and piles of parts to a driving car in 3 weeks of weekends and nights after work with help from my wife and brother - though it took a lot longer to work out the kinks! Just don't ask too much about why I have to do it again (had an accident). It's not stock either...

Last edited by Metalhead140; 07-04-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 03:03 AM
72downunder
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

We were going to do a bit by bit approach on ours, but as it needed a new Chassis, decided to do almost the whole kit and caboodle. Paint, suspension and some detail work were already complete so we did the rest of the running gear and opted for power brakes and overhauling the mechanicals . Cheaper to do in the long run when the bodies off. She drives like a new car, and stops like one.

Its in the shop at the moment getting an insurance repair from an accident and the engine is being rebuilt as well. (Looking' forward to that!)

We didn't intend to but we've overcapitalised. Plans change as you go along, and our aim was to have a reliable car that we can enjoy driving and thats exactly what it is now and we do drive it but mainly on weekends, its a cruise car not a daily driver.

There is one vice, as its been repainted I like to keep it lookin' shiny and clean. and we take it everywhere, shows, cafe's, drives, club events, even grocery shopping. You'd be surprised how much groceries you can fit in the back (One rule though never park in shopping centre car parks!!!)

Last edited by 72downunder; 07-04-2017 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:26 AM
Cool95vette
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 88 Posts

It's disappointing that people criticize other people's cars because their tastes are different. I've ended up with three cars because depending on my mood I want to drive different style cars. My red 78 is a little more track then street. My blue 79 is more street than track, and my yellow 95 is pure stock when I want comfort and reliability.

The following users liked this post:
Metalhead140 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...What's your approach to your car?...
Almost always from the driver's side with keys in hand.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

My '68 convertible was/is a basket case. Life interrupted the build, so I'm 3 years behind schedule (I'm learning to NOT let that dampen my enthusiasm). It's going to be a daily driver hopefully this summer.

I'm going stock with nearly everything, but won't fully restore it since all I wanted to do was save it from a slow death in a tractor shed. I also am removing the '76 front and rear bumper/fiberglass the previous owner installed, and am replacing it with correct fiberglass and chrome bumpers.

So...hang in there and don't get discouraged....the car is always ready for you to work on it whenever the chance arrives.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:17 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I bought my Corvettes to RACE! Why else would anyone buy a Corvette?
Metalhead140 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 02:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Racing a Corvette is fine. But there are LOTS of other reasons to have one.... as witnessed by all the posts in this thread, alone!
Old 07-05-2017, 08:27 AM
suprkoop
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I never buy any cars with "investment" ideas in my head. I buy them to enjoy and drive, so, they may not be the nicest looking on the street, but I make sure they are all safe and reliable to drive.

I feel if it needs to stay in a garage or storage facility somewhere, it's not for me. I mean what fun is it to own the car of your dreams only to have it sit behind a glass curtain to look at and not get out on the open road and drive, heaven forbid it should see any bad weather or run through a puddle.

My cars are all daily driver condition, not necessarily stock, maybe not the best paint, but rock solid dependable and I won't hesitate jumping behind the wheel and driving cross country if I had the time and resources.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

I am doing mine a bit different, when I got it the paint was cracked and peeling. Then there was a hit & run, so new paint before anything else. The very next day, my helpers from work were bringing me the car with it's new red paint, and threw a rod. Didn't even get to drive it with the new paint! At least it looks good in the garage waiting on the engine I recently built.

A few of my buddies said I should have built an engine and done the brakes first. But I am glad I did it this way. The car will need everything sooner or later. It will have lots of down time while I own it, and at least it will look good sitting there being repaired. Kinda keeps the morale up. Better than people asking "Why are you bothering with this ugly paint peeling old car?", instead they say, "Man it looks great, hurry up and fix it so we can cruise!"

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 07-05-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:14 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
But most importantly for me, was to build the car in a way that respects its design. I have been down the path of extensive modifications, and I found that it took away from the character of the car as I perceived it. So, when you see my car, it respects the general appearance that it had when it was built and sold to the first owner. I like it that way. !
Same, One reason why I don't have an L88 hood. I like the original look.

I even didn't my engine to look kind of stock.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
My approach was costly ...

But most importantly for me, was to build the car in a way that respects its design. I have been down the path of extensive modifications, and I found that it took away from the character of the car as I perceived it. So, when you see my car, it respects the general appearance that it had when it was built and sold to the first owner. I like it that way.
I bought mine (71 vert 4 speed big block)over 35 years ago as a senior in High School - life past by... The last 7 years I have been messing with it as I'm no longer have to go to school functions or post bond () as my son is on his own -OK mostly!!!

I originally though about going back to stock- remove the flares/rollbar and put a "correct" 3512 block back in it... but that's not how I bought it- sort of hotrodded back in the day.

Then I realized how boring that would be!!! BUT- I wanted the average person to look at the car even with the mods - look period correct and sort of OEM- EXCEPT if you open the hood!!!

Haven't stopped since-

Under the hood-

Wanted it to look similar to the Gran Sport crossram webers- but added 4 more cylinders-

Gran Sport-

Name:  DSCN0086.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  134.6 KB

Mine with 4 more cylinders-

Exterior- with the hood on- car will look very close to stock- even the original color- Nevada Silver-

Interior?

I always though the Lamborghini Miura ( late 60's ) looked a LOT like a Corvette 's dash but better looking- so I mimicked it

Lambo-

mine in the works-

Went with the original gauges (ones not original look have the original looking green lettering)

Lots of small mods- some aren't even noticeable-

Liked the 68's look of 4 taillights- so I hid the reverse lights-

And I like the newer cars turn signals on the side mirrors- rather than put newer mirrors on the car I modded the OEM Stock ones-

Many more "upgrades" -suspension - brakes- 5 speed - hydraulic clutch- electric power steering etc.... I want the car to look vintage- but feel/perform like a new car.

Richard
Old 07-05-2017, 03:12 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I bought my '70 back in 2008. For awhile every little part I bought had to be 'correct'. Now I'm on a 'lightweight' kick and looking to shed a few hundred pounds.

Intake, heads, water pump, seats, rear spring, master cylinder, no spare, removed soft top etc. Goal is sub 3K.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:52 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

I can't justify owning a car that's so perfect, that I'd freak if it got a scratch. I don't need originality if it's gonna put me in the poor house. My C3 is a ten footer, won't stand up to scrutiny at a car show, but get looks, thumbs up, and 'nice vette' from ordinary people. Safe enough, fast enough, dependable enough. I got 3 more classics with the same philosphy.
Metalhead140 (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
I can't justify owning a car that's so perfect, that I'd freak if it got a scratch. I don't need originality if it's gonna put me in the poor house. My C3 is a ten footer, won't stand up to scrutiny at a car show, but get looks, thumbs up, and 'nice vette' from ordinary people. Safe enough, fast enough, dependable enough. I got 3 more classics with the same philosphy.
How's that "convertible upgrade" working out for you?
Old 07-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 718 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Read my mind!
Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
How's that "convertible upgrade" working out for you?
It's more or less done, I drive it one weekends. Got an old VW I'm putting together right now. It's getting its Rustoleum paint job.

Hope to see you working on yours soon
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

My approach, to have something that will shock or impress in every area of the car they look! Stuff that they have never seen, and vintage correct or top of the line!

Get notified of new replies

To What's your approach to your car?

Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

I respect anyone's vision for their car, as I'm sure many do not agree with mine.

For me, I have tried to expand on the the original design making improvements in safety, dependability and performance without drastically changing the car.

IMO I think the lines of the C3 are as perfect as you can get from the factory, which is rare. I'm one of the few that do not like huge flares, wings, body kits, etc.

Last edited by Corey_68; 07-08-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Torqued Off (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:41 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

finding what makes you happy with it is the right way no matter what anyone else thinks

Tried the stock, #s deal, never followed trendy stuff either
dig the stock body/interior with lightening things up and a stout drivetrain/solid non rattling suspension
lowbuck72 (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 12:38 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm 29 and bought my Bubba'd up '74 in August 2016. Made sure the breaks worked, after flooding the engine, rebuilt the carb, and bought completely new interior since it was garbage. Originally I was going for the stock look all the way through, but since it's not numbers matching at all, going for stock look with more fun all the way through. It'll be a long process, but I'm taking baby steps.

Quick Reply: What's your approach to your car?