Sponsored by:

68 door panel installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:10 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Charley, Did you do any work related to Corvettes at GM? I worked in maintenance at MTD and we made some Corvette parts. Lou.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

The seperate door pull may be better, but I plan to adapt early '68 panels to my car, they just look great in my opinion, and my weird driving position, the '74 door pull is in the way of my knee.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 PM
DPCroghan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my efforts to reduce the amount of gap between the top edge of the door panel and the window weatherstrip, I noticed some peculiarities in how the weather strip is fastened to the door. From what I can determine by looking at photos online, I think my weatherstrip may not be fastened properly. There are screws that attach the felt(whiskers) to the metal support that are pushing the support away from the door frame. Plus, it appears that the inner felt/weatherstrip is much lower than the out felt/weatherstrip.
I am attaching a slew of photos that may present the situation and maybe someone can tell me if it looks like the weatherstrip is installed properly or not.

Shot from the rear of the door

From the middle of the door

Front of the door. Notice how much higher it is than the rear

Here a screw in inserted from within the door (window side) that is pushing the metal support away from the door frame

Last edited by DPCroghan; 08-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

I am not looking forward to replacing mine.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:00 PM
DPCroghan
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird
I am not looking forward to replacing mine.
Is yours a 68? Almost everything I read notes that 68 had a different weatherstrip and seals. I believe later years, 70 and beyond, had the inner weatherstrip and seals attached to the door panel itself.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

No '74. I just dig the way the early '68 panels look, plus due to an old injury, T drive with my knee right where the door pull is. I took the door pull off my panel, and just grab the edge of the door to close. A/C is non operational so I leave the windows down any way.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:12 PM
DPCroghan
Heel & Toe

All,
I was able to finally adjust my inner weatherstrip high enough to clear to tabs on the door frame so that the rubber would lay more flat and touches the door panel. These are aftermarket weatherstrip and whiskers I found the metal trim that holds the rubber swipe and cat whiskers could be adjusted and raised to a height that rested above the tabs on the door and touched the top of the lowered window to keep everything in place.

Installing the door panels was just time consuming trial and error. I am sure Chevy had some little jig that would hold the panel in place and align the screws to catch the u-clips. I ended up using a strap clamp to hold the panel to the door while I searched for the screw placement.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
Dan

Quick Reply: 68 door panel installation