Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:09 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Default winshield trim and corner molding

Looking for information on what the best method is to bed in and seal the T-Top stainless trim and the corner moldings.
I have removed the old windshield cleaned the birdcage of all the old butyl and sealant.
Also I don't seem to have any clips screwed to or riveted to the upper windshield frame to hold the top reveal molding. My car is a 76 built late in 75.... I recall the clips may be held in place by the T-top trim,I do have just two clips per side screwed in.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jk,
Some folks like to use the 3M strip caulk as a sealing material.

The corner casting is held in place with 4 screws; 2 from the front and 2 from the rear. The 2 front screws can only be SAFELY accessed when the windshield is out of the car.

The reveal molding has tabs which slip into the clips. The clips must be installed correctly, and with the proper screws, in order for the tabs to slip completely into the clips so the strip is flush with the windshield.
Also note the ends of the reveal molding are 'trapped' under the a-pillar reveal molding.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-13-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:42 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Alan. What size did you use for the sealing strips? did you use the same for the rear of the T-top trim.
My birdcage was in remarkable condition with no rust just a poop load of sealer. Bubba had used silicon before to seal the upper reveal molding to the windshield. I never saw signs of any screw holes for the old clips or signs that rivets would have been there.
I did order new screws and clips but still waiting to receive them, so its holding up the windshield and paint.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jk,
I mainly used the strip caulk as the sealer for all the ss trim.
I tried to understand by looking at the AIM and also at some photos of the trim coming off, and off the car to determine how much caulk to use.
The 68-72 cars I'm familiar with had 7-9 clips and they were all screwed in place.
From what I read it seems latter cars had the clips 'glued' in place. I'm not sure how that worked so really can't offer any advice. Sorry!
Hopefully someone will be along to give you some guidance.
Regards,
Alan

Old 07-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I just came inside from doing exactly this (again).
​​​​​​Here is a my recent post which you might find useful.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595018896

I used the exact strip caulk that Allan mentioned, 1/4" I think. I used it under the front of the corner trim, the front and rear of the t-top trim, and where the t-top trim overlaps the corner trim. One issue I noticed was the last location left a step from the added thickness of sealer.

And my car (like yours) only had screws for the outer four clips. The center clips are Installed by sliding them onto the t-top Trim before installing it.

I still need to rivet the rear t-top trim back down. I think I need 1/8x1/2 rivits.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I used electrical duct seal.... it`s a gray putty that comes in a one-pound block. If it`s good enough to seal moisture out of electric equipment, it should work great on my windshield header!
Old 07-13-2017, 04:27 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Clip under t top trim. I thought the Same as you at first. I took the trim off and found the clips stuck in the sealer. I assumed that's what held them in. But in reality the sealer likely got on the clips after they were installed.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:08 AM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for the replies. I will use the strip caulk as suggested, and also slid the molding clips onto the T top trim.

Get notified of new replies

To winshield trim and corner molding

Quick Reply: winshield trim and corner molding