Sponsored by:

1968 build log "Elise"

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Yes, guy's, it is the wiper motor recess. I looked at the driver dash photo too fast and saw that thing and there is a metal piece hanging down and it looked like a tube was connected to it. My bad! I am not use to seeing a dash that naked, LOL. Lou.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Well, even as a restomod, you are much more ambitious than I. I agree with Bazza77 that it might be a good idea to look for a parts car. Buying all of the missing parts piecemeal might put you under water (and I am talking Mariana Trench deep) pretty quickly even with aftermarket stuff.

Good Luck with this car and I cannot wait to see the final result.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:57 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Hello "C" and welcome to the forum! Great project! You can do what you want, and are in a position to get all the frame and suspension issues dealt with! Take the time and do it up right and the way you want. BTW I have family in Waco and have spent a lot of time there. Great place!
That's awesome Andy, as long as my family has been here there is a good possibility one of us knows them lol!!

Last edited by Chonciceptor; 07-21-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:59 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Well, even as a restomod, you are much more ambitious than I. I agree with Bazza77 that it might be a good idea to look for a parts car. Buying all of the missing parts piecemeal might put you under water (and I am talking Mariana Trench deep) pretty quickly even with aftermarket stuff.

Good Luck with this car and I cannot wait to see the final result.
Oh yes, this is going to be a very expensive endeavor hahaha!!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Originally Posted by revneck
Looks bitchin with donut spares on all for corners! lol
That's the reason I bought the car hahahahaha
Old 07-22-2017, 05:32 PM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Once the interior is scrubbed/cleaned....insulate it from front to rear...you won't regret doing it.......

What is the best insulation to use?
Old 08-31-2017, 05:45 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Default Update 8.30.17

Well, I was able to get the t-top trim, windshield reveal, and driver side windshield trim off. Every screw was either seized or the inner clip was rusted so I couldn't actually get the screw out. It took forever and it made me real sad with the amount of rust found!! Also, it seems as though some mystery substance was in between the trim and the windshield frame itself, surely this wasn't factory.

Also, found another mystery substance on the floor pans, thoughts?

Old 08-31-2017, 08:13 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

That's a lot of rust on the windshield frame. Be prepared to have to replace the whole thing. Luckily they do make replacement pieces.

As for the mystery substance on the passenger floor, I suspect it's likely a roofing tar type material. Expect to find either a missing area of floor or a cracked up floor. Lot's of people back then didn't want to tackle fiberglass repair work.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I trust you don't require a lot of sleep, OR have a very large checkbook. Good luck!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I will be Debbie Downer for this thread;

Dude, what you have is what's left of a parts car and a 68 at that which has several one year only parts. Unless you have VERY deep pockets cut your loses now and part it out.

That car is a complete rusted out wreck.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:02 PM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr D.

Dude, what you have is what's left of a parts car and a 68 at that which has several one year only parts. Unless you have VERY deep pockets cut your loses now and part it out.

Check out RVZIO 69, far worse on the rust than mine and he's done a great job of bringing it back to life, constant vigilance!!! Plus, my frame is immaculate
Old 08-31-2017, 02:17 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.

Not trying to discourage you (not discourage, maybe change your mind?), but I also think you'd be better off starting with something that isn't quite as corroded.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:13 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What is your build date? My coupe is F22, Jan 22, 1968. Good luck with this project, it will be fun. I started with a mostly unassembled one myself. It had a lot more crap, dirt and junk piled in it when I bought it than yours does. Mine had been the beginnings of a frame off and had zero rust issues, but in many ways was very similar to where you are. Ill include a photo to illustrate what I mean....
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2017, 06:40 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Chonciceptor
Check out RVZIO 69, far worse on the rust than mine and he's done a great job of bringing it back to life, constant vigilance!!! Plus, my frame is immaculate
Hey Chonciceptor, your right my whole car I believe was in worse shape.
So, for me it was a surprise. Skill sets or the willingness to learn how to do a lot of the work are your choices. This helps in the pocket book. A lot of the other advice may be true. Your car, if I listened to all of the bail out comments I would have given up a long time ago. You don't get much for selling a project and you may be stuck in the middle so take your time. I am right in the middle of prep work for priming. Took a long time t get to this point but I WILL FINISH!
Only you know you.
Good luck!
Never give up...................................... .......................................
RVZIO
Old 08-31-2017, 07:18 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

Here's some inspiration for you and show some of those who say it can't be done.

The car as it sits today running. Pick your poison there is plenty. I have never owned a C3 , never did any of this type of work before. You REALLY want to do it like me then go for it.
Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2017, 07:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Seems like a perfect candidate to make into what you want...that being a resto-mod. Anything goes and you can make it as super awesome as you like and do not have to follow any specific dynamic.

As for the black substance on the top windshield frame....I believe it is like what I ahve seen many times as being a closed cell foam tape that appeared to have some goo in it that can dry out and get quite crumbly.

Nothing I have seen in any of your photos remotely scares me. I have seen and repaired much worse. So...it is quite 'do-able'...if you want to...which it seems you are up to the task at hand..

DUB
Old 09-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Thanks guys, ya, It didn't seem to me that anything about this was undoable at all, from what I've researched, fixing the windshield frame is probably going to be the hardest part of this restoration. it's the first thing that I'm going to tackle, so I feel confident that once that is out of the way, the rest should come along quite well. I will have lots of questions for sure hahahaha, but I'm in it for the long haul!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 build log "Elise"

Old 09-01-2017, 01:01 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68/BB
What is your build date? My coupe is F22, Jan 22, 1968. Good luck with this project, it will be fun. I started with a mostly unassembled one myself. It had a lot more crap, dirt and junk piled in it when I bought it than yours does. Mine had been the beginnings of a frame off and had zero rust issues, but in many ways was very similar to where you are. Ill include a photo to illustrate what I mean....
J16-May 16, 1968
Old 09-01-2017, 01:05 AM
Chonciceptor
Instructor

Originally Posted by rvzio
Hey Chonciceptor, your right my whole car I believe was in worse shape.
So, for me it was a surprise. Skill sets or the willingness to learn how to do a lot of the work are your choices. This helps in the pocket book. A lot of the other advice may be true. Your car, if I listened to all of the bail out comments I would have given up a long time ago. You don't get much for selling a project and you may be stuck in the middle so take your time. I am right in the middle of prep work for priming. Took a long time t get to this point but I WILL FINISH!
Only you know you.
Good luck!
Never give up...................................... .......................................
RVZIO
Absolutely, I look at your build log quite a bit, here's a question for you, did you have to get a donor t-bar center support, or are there reproductions available?

Last edited by Chonciceptor; 09-01-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Are you going to keep the later C3 hood shown in your first post? I like those hoods a lot so if it was me I'd keep that.

Quick Reply: 1968 build log "Elise"