Sponsored by:

C3 replace tach cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM
leobrennan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 replace tach cable

Looking for info on the removal of a C3 Upper dash pad and Lower left cluster in order to replace Tach cable to Distributor
Old 08-03-2017, 11:00 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you have small hands, or long fingers, you can reach the tach cable from under the dash. IT will take 2 people, one to push the retainer clip and one to pull the cable. Not a tough thing to do, but way easier than pulling the dash.
Have your help push the cable toward the tach from under the hood, use a finger to push the retainer toward the tach and hold it, then have them pull the cable off the tach.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Leo,
Welcome!
You don't say what year car you're working on.
Is it a 58-74 that had a cable and not an electronic tachometer?

Removing the top dash pad is really a lot of work. You might better consider reaching the tachometer from below. This is a bit easier if the car doesn't have a/c. It's certainly worth it to try this way first. Some people even take out the seat so they can get there head below the dash to see what they're doing.

The cable is held in place in the tach body by a spring clip. To remove the cable the spring's 'tag' must be depressed and the cable pulls out.
To put the new cable in place just pushing it into the fitting sets the clip.

Many people suggest installing the tach end of the cable first and the distributor end.

If you're unable to reach the connection from below you may have to lower the steering column and loosening the lower dash pad so it can be dropped a couple of inches. This is a LOT of work. Even in this case the upper dash pad stays in place.

Here's a photo showing the rear of the tach housing and the clip that secures the cable.

Good Luck! This isn't an easy job so take your time and don't damage anything. Be careful that you don't dislodge any electrical connections or vacuum hose while you're doing this….. there's lots going on back there!

Regards,
Alan

The tach housing showing the connector and the clip

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-03-2017 at 11:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RS69 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:06 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and welcome!

#1 make an appointment with your chiropractor.
#2 remove the drivers seat.
#3 remove the cable assembly from the distributor.
#4 at the cable to tach connection depress the spring retainer and have a helper pull the cable out from the engine compartment.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:12 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Leo, the first thing that you need to do is tell us what year your car is. 68's speedometer and tachometer cables screw on to the back of their gauges. Lou.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:19 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by leobrennan
Looking for info on the removal of a C3 Upper dash pad and Lower left cluster in order to replace Tach cable to Distributor
My tach failed recently on my 69. One tip on CF saved me from having to remove the lower left cluster. Check the tach cable and tach by detaching the tach cable from the distributor end, then chuck the cable end into a drill. Run the drill counterclockwise at low speed. If the tach shows RPM, then the problem is at the distributor end, if not, then you have a cable or tach instrument problem.

Regards,
Tom
The following users liked this post:
RS69 (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 08:44 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was able to get my cable in and replaced without removing the driver's seat or dash. I laid upside down with my feet up in driver's seat. My 69 doesn't have ac so it migh be earlier than an ac car.

Like what was mentioned above, verify if the cable is bad or just the gear on the distributor.

Over the years, I had both issues, a cable and the distributor gear.

Last edited by RS69; 08-03-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:33 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 178 Posts

i'm just doing this myself on my '72.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595287237

i found that the new cables are longer than originals, places too many bends.

i removed the center dash and laid it down onto the center console.
then i removed the 3 upper and 2 door side screws.
removed the lower steering column support bolts and let it hang slightly supported on the seat.
then got a couple of balled up socks and gently pulled the top edge of the dash away from the top piece and wedged the socks in.
then found someone with small hands and wrists to squeeze in the gap to release the clip,
whilst i pulled from the engine bay side, after i popped out the grommet that it feeds thru.
reverse to reinstall, i hope, about to that over the weekend.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:12 PM
pl2000n
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I'd share my recent experience (this past weekend) with replacing the tach cable on my '69 with convertible top and AC. The was no way I could get up in there from under the dash. I ended up removing the upper dash pad and pulling the instrument cluster forward. The process took some time but very actually quite easy. Here are a couple of videos that were of tremendous help:

Before reassembly, I spun the new tach cable with a drill. Worked like a charm. Good luck with your project.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:27 PM
DHer67
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I know it's an old thread but thanks TimAT.

this method worked like a charm. Still a total p i t a to get upside down in the driver's side foot well. And trying to balance a light to see, a long flat head screwdriver to use to move the cable, and not knock my glasses off my face. But I got the old cable out and the new one in with my daughter's help in about 15 minutes. 1972 four-speed coupe with air conditioning, but the vent duct going under the steering column is not installed

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To C3 replace tach cable

Quick Reply: C3 replace tach cable