Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What insurance do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Billem
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not knocking other companies, but I picked Hagerty. High coverages, no deduct., full comp., agreed value, a yearly policy (not 6 months), and a reasonable rate made it work for me. An added plus: the people I've dealt with are great. Have a great week, Bill
Old 08-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I would definitely check with USAA to make sure they are covering it to agreed value and not just "book" value like your SUV or whatever. if they are on the same policy statement it's probably not.

Low price for the insurance is great... except if it gets flattened by a tree and you get a check for $300.

Check and see how they are covering it, and also if you do shop around for collector car insurance ask what the restrictions on using the car are. One I called said they would only cover the car at organized shows or parades - not a drive to work or for ice cream.
The following users liked this post:
Cryptoboy (08-08-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 PM
dcurtis
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NCM here... also insures my Viper
Old 08-08-2017, 01:24 PM
toolmanzwief
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have USAA insurance on all of our daily drivers. When I called them to add my 68 Corvette, they pretty much told me that I'd be crazy if I had them insure the car. If I were to get in an accident, they said I'd be lucky to get a $1500 settlement. They referred me to American Collectors (which has a USAA discount) for an agreed-upon value policy. I've been happy with that so far. The rates are low for the "parades and car shows / pleasure driving" type of policy, but they also have more comprehensive coverages that will allow for personal use of your car. Every year, they've bumped up the agreed value a bit to take the vehicle's value appreciation into account.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:19 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
I've had them for 25 years on all my other various cars. This is my first one that would be a classic car, so wasn't sure if a specific company geared towards classic cars would be better or not.

Thanks!
When I switched to USAA, I asked about agreed value/classic car insurance. They did not have either. I would recommend checking all the companies which others are using. I used to have Hagerty, switch to NCM, saved money.
The following users liked this post:
Cryptoboy (08-08-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Cryptoboy
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for all the info! I'm looking at Hagarty's and Grundy (Hagarty's is not much cheaper than what the USAA policy is, but Grundy is quite a bit less).
Old 08-14-2017, 12:54 PM
rogernison
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Insurance

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
I've had the 74 Vette on my USAA insurance plan since we transferred the title to me (about 4 years ago). It was only in storage mode so was pretty cheap.

Since I have it down here I changed it to full coverage.

Should I keep it with USAA or look at something like Hagarty's?

Thanks!
Try American Collectors thru USAA. I found the premiums were less than hagartys. Just my $.02
Old 08-14-2017, 03:45 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I have the Gecko on my '73, but only because all the classic car insurance companies require the car to be kept in a locked building when not in use. Since I'm limited currently to my 1 car garage that houses my '68 restoration project I am stuck going through a conventional insurance company.

The '68 will have insurance through NCM, Hagerty's or Grundy when the time comes. It is currently insured with storage coverage through my Mom's insurance.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Cryptoboy
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I ended up going with NCM. Grundy was the cheapest but NCM was just a hair more and I felt more comfortable when I talked to that rep.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM
LimaCharlie
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I have been with State Farm since 1967. With multiple vehicles, home insurance, and an umbrella policy, they have always been cheapest for total coverages.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

AAA. $125 per month to insure an 09 RX 350 and an 82 Vette. Beat that. Report 5 - 7.5K miles a year on Vette and 15K a year on RX. Nobody seems to quote $. Have had several claims on Vette over 20 years of driving it and no problem.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:25 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Normal ins companies are not going to pay squat for a classic/collectible car.
I had Grundy for a number of years, then my agent got disillusioned with them and began searching for another good collector car ins. company. She found Condon Skelly. That is who I am with now and like them. $345 for a $48k agreed value on my LT-1. I drive it when I want and have never been asked for a mileage report.
Check them out along with a few others.

http://www.condonskelly.com/
Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary
Normal ins companies are not going to pay squat for a classic/collectible car.
I had Grundy for a number of years, then my agent got disillusioned with them and began searching for another good collector car ins. company. She found Condon Skelly. That is who I am with now and like them. $345 for a $48k agreed value on my LT-1. I drive it when I want and have never been asked for a mileage report.
Check them out along with a few others.

http://www.condonskelly.com/
Had my car front end hit in a parking garage. AAA came out and had no problem fixing.

Quick Reply: What insurance do you have?