rotating sound behind dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 07:22 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default rotating sound behind dash

I'm getting what sounds like a pinwheel spinning behind my oil pressure gauge and the needle vibrates a tight span. Only when fully warmed up, and increases with speed and/or rpm. I'll need to study it further and report back, but I'm looking for initial suggestions as to what it could be.

The car is an 81 coupe in very good condition, always garage kept and very clean. Is the 81 oil pressure gauge still fed with a plastic straw pipe, like my 72 had? Could it be the speedo instead? No rocking needle.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

My first thought before I read your entire description is speedo. It's easy enough to disconnect the speedo cable from the speedo and see if the sound goes away, it just clips into the back. I'd do that first and then focus on the oil pressure gauge if the speedo isn't it.
The following users liked this post:
foundvettelifeisgood (08-23-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Your oil pressure gauge is electric and has a signal wire coming from a sending unit plumbed into the engine's oil circuit. I suspect that the sending wire is fraying somewhere (most likely under the hood and at the connection to the sending unit). That would yield an erratic signal which would tend to drive the oil gauge 'nuts'. If the 'pinwheel' sound seems to match the movements of the gauge needle, that's the problem. You just need to find the offending wire/connection and repair it. (If no problem with the sender wire, check the power and ground feed wires, too.)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:48 AM
Sluefoot
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
It's easy enough to disconnect the speedo cable from the speedo and see if the sound goes away, it just clips into the back. I'd do that first and then focus on the oil pressure gauge if the speedo isn't it.
Actually it's EASIER to disconnect the speedo cable at the transmission by far then from under the dash!! Hear me now & believe me sooner!

AND.....if U do that, it's not that much more hassle to pull it back into the engine bay area, raise it up & lube it at that time!
Old 08-24-2017, 10:55 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Make sure that noise is coming from the speedo area before you go to the trouble of messing with that cable....
Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Make sure that noise is coming from the speedo area before you go to the trouble of messing with that cable....
will do. i was at Carlisle today and bought a new cable in case that's the problem i'll start with the oil pressure wiring. where is it on the engine, top rear like my 72?
Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

I believe the sender is down around the oil filter. Lots of environmental 'issues' to affect wiring in that area.

Get notified of new replies

To rotating sound behind dash

Quick Reply: rotating sound behind dash