Sponsored by:

Incident - Someone following me

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:20 PM
vin67
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Incident - Someone following me

So driving home from an outing, I notice (rear view mirror) a car was making the exact same turns as me. Not necessary tailgating but at a comfortable distance.

Near my residential area I decide to pulled over 3 blocks from my street and see what he does. If he made a U-Turn, then its obvious he was following me. I pulled over maybe half block after passing a 4 way stop sign. At this time he was coming towards the same 4 way stop.

From my rear view mirror I can see him stopped at 4 way stop and noticing me pulled over. However, he sits there for about 7 to 10 seconds and finally continue towards me. He pulled along side and said "Nice car" and continue on about this and that about Corvettes. I played it cordial. He finally drove off and I waited few minutes and then circling my neighborhood to see he's still around. Didn't see him and I finally open my garage and put her away.

I know some might think I'm paranoid but
#1 he has been following me for a while.
#2 why did he sat for 7 to 10 seconds at last 4 way stop sign? Normally anyone would have gone about their way already. 7 second is a long time just sitting there looking towards my direction.
#3 if he wanted to talk cars, he could've easily drive along side me earlier and I would've pulled over.

I don't know . . . things like his makes me nervous.

Anyone have similar encounters?

Last edited by vin67; 09-12-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Popular Reply

09-16-2017, 11:03 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I've been in law enforcement for 25 years. When the hairs on your neck stand up or your sixth sense tells you something isn't right, pay attention because something isn't right. It's saved my life on more than one occasion. Be cautious, pay attention, especially when what you have is something somebody else wants. Don't be a creature of habit and make it easy for someone. Don't drive to or from home the same way every day. Very your patterns. If you think someone is following you, Don't Drive To Your Home. Drive away from home, to public places and dial 911. Give them your location, stay on line with dispatch and give them the make, model, color, and if possible the license plate of the car following you, plus your vehicle description. I've had numerous calls like this over the years. Most of the time it's nothing. A few times it was something involving seriously bad people. Just because you are a guy it's ok to call for help if you suspect something. We love our jobs, we love helping people, and doing stuff like this helps keep the bad guys in check and off the streets. For us this is the fun stuff and it's why we do what we do.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

I've had a couple of people follow me home when I was driving my AMC SX/4. They just wanted to look at it and one to take pictures.

I think the person you encountered was no threat.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Cajun_LS3
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hard to say. Could've been innocent, with nothing better to do than admire your ride. Could've been casing you.

Any reason for a P.I. to be following you around?

It's a shame that we have to be so vigilant these days.

I hope all turns out well for you.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vin67
So driving home from an outing, I notice (rear view mirror) a car was making the exact same turns as me. Not necessary tailgating but at a comfortable distance.

Near my residential area I decide to pulled over 3 blocks from my street and see what he does. If he made a U-Turn, then its obvious he was following me. I pulled over maybe half block after passing a 4 way stop sign. At this time he was coming towards the same 4 way stop.

From my rear view mirror I can see him stopped at 4 way stop and noticing me pulled over. However, he sits there for about 7 to 10 seconds and finally continue towards me. He pulled along side and said "Nice car" and continue on about this and that about Corvettes. I played it cordial. He finally drove off and I waited few minutes and then circling my neighborhood to see he's still around. Didn't see him and I finally open my garage and put her away.

#1 he has been following me for a while.
#2 why did he sat for 7 to 10 seconds at last 4 way stop sign? Normally anyone would have gone about their way already. 7 second is a long time just sitting there looking towards my direction.
#3 if he wanted to talk cars, he could've easily drive along side me earlier and I would've pulled over.

I don't know . . . things like his makes me nervous.

Anyone have similar encounters?
Vi,

IMO it doesn't hurt to be skeptical, and always assume the worst. Maybe it's a shallow way to be or 1 dimensional thinking BUT what if you didn't put the car away and wake up tomorrow with it gone? Didn't hurt or cost you a dime to be cautious.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:43 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Being cautious and at least somewhat suspicious is not being paranoid. People need to be aware of their surroundings and watch out for possible threat situations. He may have been following to connect an address to the car, or he may have just wanted a good look at it. I think you handled it right myself. No harm, no foul. This is different scenario but a while back I had been over to my storage unit to drop off or pick up some Vette part. The unit is in not a sketchy neighborhood but blue collar. So as I am driving along this residential area there is a teenage girl walking down the sidewalk headed toward me. I am nearing an intersection and I see this sketchy looking van with a real sketchy driver. He is approaching the intersection perpendicular to me and he is heading from my left to my right. I see him begin staring at the girl, rolls thru the intersection, then stops, never takes his eye off the girl, then backs up and looks like he is going to turn down the street we are on. I slow down so I can keep him in view as long as possible. The girl is not aware of him because he is behind her but she looks nervously at ME because I am slowing down. Anyhow, at that point he looks at me and I give him a good glare, eye to eye. He looks back straight ahead and continues on his way. Did he have nefarious intentions? Who knows, it looked suspicious and we react the best way we know how.

Last edited by 68/BB; 09-12-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'm in law enforcement, probably another goof ball. God knows the quota is full for goof ***** out there.

Still never hurts to take the long way home using well populated and lit areas.

Just me but when I grab my c3 keys I grab the Glock too.
I also have Phila on three sides of me.

As Forest Gump says..... Stupid is as stupid does.

Any transaction selling parts or cars should be conducted in a police parking lot. Not in your driveway or remote area. Or if able a nice used car lot.
Be careful folks its sounds like nothing but I see all the nuts out there.
Marshal
Old 09-12-2017, 11:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Could have been 'casing' you to see where you lived...

Could have a Corvette 'fetish'....

Could be looking for a Corvette very much like yours and was 'enamored' with it...

Could have just been a weirdo...

You did the right thing to be "cautious" and not go home with someone following you.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Post this at the end of your driveway

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 09-13-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Post this at the end of your driveway

Guns and machinery - sounds like a lucrative target to rob!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:09 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts
Default agreed

Originally Posted by marshal135
I'm in law enforcement, probably another goof ball. God knows the quota is full for goof ***** out there.

Still never hurts to take the long way home using well populated and lit areas.

Just me but when I grab my c3 keys I grab the Glock too.
I also have Phila on three sides of me.

As Forest Gump says..... Stupid is as stupid does.

Any transaction selling parts or cars should be conducted in a police parking lot. Not in your driveway or remote area. Or if able a nice used car lot.
Be careful folks its sounds like nothing but I see all the nuts out there.
Marshal
PPK here
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by vin67
Yes or maybe he thought you were pretty?

Last edited by Revi; 09-13-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

No offense, but I think you're paranoid. That's why you don't list a location with your avatar.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:02 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Smith & Wesson........never leave home without it.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:03 AM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had similar situations happen to me in the past and your better safe than sorry. Paranoid or not doesn't matter, because nothing good could come from them knowing where you live. They want to talk about the car, cool, lets talk in this random parking lot. Why take the chance.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:11 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I had a C3 stolen from my driveway. I was doing work in the garage and had to run to Home Depot. I left the car out for 1/2 hour. When i got home it was gone. I live on a block that isn't well traveled. So I think someone took advantage of the situation.
I would have been the same as you. Except I would have gotten his plate number. If he wants your car he has your plate number and knows where you live by now. So pay attention to what you do.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Done the same as you...some guy just probably enjoyed seeing and hearing it thats all.

Guns and machinery - sounds like a lucrative target to rob

people go out of their way to rob homes with guns.,,if youre an owner or in LE you become a big target; had to move 2x due to it...now a 3rd. Lots of wackjobs looking for a reason to take their life out on you.

in the meantime keep the car insured and dont worry about someone heisting it. At the end of the day its a car...just a material thing they come and go

Last edited by cv67; 09-13-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM
BlowAMouse
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Better safe than sorry.
When I lived in SoCal, the gang bangers would follow people home / to work that were riding their Harleys. Then steal them out of your garage or work parking lot. Had my Harley stolen out of my works parking lot right in front of security, only had it 5 weeks. When I got the replacement, my riding buddy and I caught people following us home 5 times. We never took the same way home twice and always came in the back way. That’s how we caught them, we saw them and just turned around and headed right for them and they split.

I still carry a firearm when on the Harley or driving the Vette, Still watch my rearview mirrors when traveling home. Just be aware of your surroundings, if someone is following you, pull into a public parking lot and see if they pull up to admire your ride.

Moral, be nice but aware… just my 2 cents

Get notified of new replies

To Incident - Someone following me

Old 09-13-2017, 12:33 PM
pbigpig
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been working in law enforcement for 23 years now. I'm always paying attention to cars behind me and who drives by my house. Some may call it paranoia, I call it the reality of the world we live in. Just keep a mental note of the car and the face of the individual, if you see him again, it's most likely not a coincidence.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Did you get his tag number
Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

More and more "Idiots" over here in Germany too... I had People follow me because of my car as they wanted to ask me questions... I dont like that. Unfortunately over here we have very strict gun laws and you are not allowed to carry any Kind of weapon... I wish we could! A bat has to do then...

Quick Reply: Incident - Someone following me