Sponsored by:

Trailing arm question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Here is a couple pictures of my setup tool and holder I use to rebuild T/A's.
Attached Images   
Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Wee
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 237 Posts

If it's the other piece you are talking about, the larger diameter piece is the dust shield, it goes on the spindle after the seal but before the half shaft flange.

Brian
Old 09-19-2017, 01:59 PM
68bigblock
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
That is a spacer inside the hub on the spindle that is used with shims for setting up your bearing clearance.

Did you use spindle setup tool to set your bearing end play?
Yes! But my set up tool did not have a part that looked like the one in your picture.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:16 PM
68bigblock
Instructor

I'm not talking about the spacer it is the part next to the spacer. It is pointed out in the picture below.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You have to be REALLY watchful on how much paint you get on the inside diameter of where the bearing housing fits into the trailing arm....along with the amount of paint on the exterior of the bearing housing. This fit is REALLY a close tolerance.

Also...if you have the set-up tool to set up your rear wheel bearings...do you have the special tool to 'press' the spindle into the bearing assembly you have installed into your bearing housing??? This 'press' toll is actually pulling yoru spindle throguh yoru bearings...and not like a typical hydraulic press.

The one I have looks like the photo below.

I know and have had members send me videos of how other people installed the spindles in other methods...obviously... you can do as you wish on that one.

DUB
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Wee
Drifting

Originally Posted by 68bigblock
I'm not talking about the spacer it is the part next to the spacer. It is pointed out in the picture below.
See post #22 above....

Brian
Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 AM
68bigblock
Instructor

Yes, I have both tools.
My arm and housing is powder coated. I tried tapping it on with a rubber mallet last night. It did not work. I probably will pull the arm back off the frame and try pressing it on tonight. I don't know what else to do.
Originally Posted by DUB

You have to be REALLY watchful on how much paint you get on the inside diameter of where the bearing housing fits into the trailing arm....along with the amount of paint on the exterior of the bearing housing. This fit is REALLY a close tolerance.

Also...if you have the set-up tool to set up your rear wheel bearings...do you have the special tool to 'press' the spindle into the bearing assembly you have installed into your bearing housing??? This 'press' toll is actually pulling yoru spindle throguh yoru bearings...and not like a typical hydraulic press.

The one I have looks like the photo below.

I know and have had members send me videos of how other people installed the spindles in other methods...obviously... you can do as you wish on that one.

DUB
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Wee
Drifting

One thing you will have to do is take off the powder coating that is on the trailing arm where the spindle housing is trying to fit into.

Brian
The following users liked this post:
68bigblock (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Wee
One thing you will have to do is take off the powder coating that is on the trailing arm where the spindle housing is trying to fit into.

Brian
10,000%

If there is powder coating applied to the inside of the large hole for the bearing housing...it MUST be removed.

I would not press the bearing housing into your trailing arm...you can begin to venture down a path that can cause you problems later due to 'tweaking' the trailing arm in the process of pressing the bearing housing into it. You should be able to lightly tap it in place an NOT have to force the heck out of it.

Just trying to save you from other problems.

Also...here is something I look at BEFORE I rebuild trailing arms. When the trailing arm is assembled....I look at the inner bearing flange that allows the universal joint flange to attach to it. With it being basically a square shape for the 1963-1979 Corvettes. I spin the spindle and make sure that the distance of the flange to the large center hole in the trailing arm is evenly spaced when I spin the flange.

IF when I spin it and I see that the outer corner of the flange where the 7/16-20 bolt goes is really close to touching the inner dimension of the large hole of the trailing arm. That tells me that that trailing arm has seen damage and it can cause for when I rebuild it...and then go to align teh car...the alignment may be hard to achieve or not be achievable due to the trailing arm is tweaked.

DUB

Quick Reply: Trailing arm question