Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood latch differences per year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:53 AM
E.Murray
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hood latch differences per year?

My '68 had a long hood when I got it. I got everything to go back with the wiper door and short hood. When I went to put everything together this weekend, though, I ran into a problem. I got the hood (an original small block hood of unknown year) from one place and the upper latches (also original) from another. When I tried to mount the latches, the driver's side fit fine but the passenger's side holes don't line up. See the picture. Two of the holes line up fine, but the other two aren't even close. You can see the lower hole in the picture past the edge of the latch. In addition, there is a kind of "blister" hump on the hood where the latch goes so it won't fit flush with the hood.
The two latches (driver and passenger) were attached to each other by the cable when I got them, so I know they went together. Are there differences in the latches depending on the year?
Old 10-03-2017, 11:19 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes there are differences in hood/latch locations. I don't remember when (someone will), but sometime during the 68 or 69 model year I believe.

Found this,
Originally Posted by gbvette62
The 68-69E hood latches, both male and female and left and right, are different than the 69-76 latches. The difference is in the location of the mounting bolt holes, so 68-69 latches can not be attached to 69-72 hoods, and vice versa. You can not mix 68-69E male or female latches with 69-76 male or female latches either, the different year latches will not work with each other. The 68-69E latch uses a different hood cross cable than the 69-76s, too. The 68-69E uses a 33" long cable, while the later hood uses a 31 3/4" cable.

Nothing I know of about either hood should cause interference with the master cylinder and/or brake booster, 68-72s all use the same MC and booster. The only thing that would prevent the hood from sitting flush that I can think of is if you are mixing the types of latches. 68-69 and 69-72 hoods are identical, except for the way the latches attach. If the hood had 69-72 type female latches and the car has 68-69 male latches, the hood won't close because the male and female latches won't line up.

68 hood supports are unique to 68, but mount the same as 69-71 supports. 72 supports are completely different and are the same up untill 76.

Last edited by Revi; 10-03-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi EM,
The latch in your photo was used until late in 68 production.
It's the right side latch.
Regards,
Alan

There should be a 'pin' with a hole in it for a tiny cotter pin at this location rather than a bolt. It where the clevis of the latch cable connects to the latch.

Here's the late 68+ right side latch.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-03-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood latch differences per year?

Quick Reply: Hood latch differences per year?