Sponsored by:

tilt column

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 02:22 AM
acorvetkid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tilt column

is it possible to make a tilt column out of a 1980 fit into a 1974 ?
Old 10-07-2017, 03:41 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

YES, I did it back in '95, I am 6'5" and a bad lo back/spine/arthritis and so the stock bus driver wheel just did not get it, going to the smaller wheel with the TT column was a life saver.....now one thing....the column is shorter inside the pass compartment.....by about 1.5 inches, I split the difference and made a spacer for the firewall mount flange from 3/4 plywood, pulling the entire assy toward the driver, now that forced me to pull the two silver tabs off the dash mount, and turn them over to get the spacing correct for the bolts....

I still had the wheel on my legs TT or not, so winter 01-02 I cut the floorboard below the column flange, on both sides, full width and swung the firewall forward about 3" at the floor, filled in with glass, and then modified the pedals to be 3" further forward, this made my legs relax and off the wheel, not necessarily related, but I took out the rear seat mounts to drop the seat about 2" in the rear, makes it easier getting in/out of the car with the top up.....oh, it's a convertible......

OH, almost forgot, another nice thing is putting the dimmer sw on the column, instead of the floor, another annoying bulge outta there....

Old 10-07-2017, 11:55 AM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

It's a bolt in, wiring all hooks in, just the different look and also no backdrive lever. Your steering wheel will lock, but not the shift lever.

Get notified of new replies

To tilt column

Quick Reply: tilt column