Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Dye

Old 10-10-2017, 05:56 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interior Dye

I'm using the Corvette America Interior Dye for the first time and did a complete prep for the dye. I am starting with the steering column while its out of the car. After I applied the dye, it has a very flat finish. Do i need to put some kind of clear coat over it to give it a slight shine like the original. I noticed there is a clear coat on their site that says it is a protective coating, is this a special clear coat or just basically a polyurethane clear coat? Any other options than ordering it and having to ship?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi MG,
I believe the dye is designed to be used on 'soft' parts like dash pads and door panels.
Things like the steering column should be painted with semi-flat or semi-gloss paint…. those are offered by companies like SEM and Krylon.
Regards,
Alan
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (12-04-2022)
Old 10-10-2017, 06:28 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

According to their website it can be used on soft materials like vinyl as well as plastic and Metal.

https://www.corvetteamerica.com/cf/d...ategoryid=X295

Last edited by MobileGreg; 10-10-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:36 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

You will have to do additional work on the dye to get the gloss you want.

For smooth and semi gloss wet sand the dye with 2000 grit, hand rub with rubbing compound, and then polishing compound.

If the paint is pretty smooth then skip the wet sanding part and do the other two steps.
Primoz (12-04-2022)
Old 10-10-2017, 07:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

And seeing that you live in Alabama...if it was humid when you shot it...the dye could have blushed.

I know here in North Carolina...some days when it is really humid I know not to even try to spray any of the aerosol products I use because it will be waste of time due to the color can change due to the paint blushing. Most of all aerosol products need to be painted at ambient air temperatures ( 70F-85 F @ 50% humidity).

DUB
Old 10-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Save the dye for your vinyl/plastic parts. Use paint for the steering column. You can probably get a good match at Autozone in their Color Match by Duplicolor.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MobileGreg
I'm using the Corvette America Interior Dye for the first time and did a complete prep for the dye. I am starting with the steering column while its out of the car. After I applied the dye, it has a very flat finish. Do i need to put some kind of clear coat over it to give it a slight shine like the original. I noticed there is a clear coat on their site that says it is a protective coating, is this a special clear coat or just basically a polyurethane clear coat? Any other options than ordering it and having to ship?
The the original Dupont paint that GM used came in different sheen levels. It was used on hard pieces like kick panels the rear door frames Etc.
Primoz (12-04-2022)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:47 AM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

The only one you can get away with generic paint is black. You are not going to get a color match other than buying from a Corvette vendor or having your local paint supply store make you a quart if you have a spray gun.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm in Florida, the humidity capitol of the world. I used the Corvette America interior dye on my steering column (77 Buckskin), and like you found it very flat. After some research on Corvette Forum, I came up with the answer - Krylon Clear Matte Finish #1311. It goes on very easily (several light coats), gives a sheen that matches the other vinyl items I used the CA dye on, and protects the hard surface from chipping and abrasion
Team Evil (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm currently redoing my interior with Corvette America interior dye as well and find it to be a really nice product in every way. I've been using an adhesion promoter on the hard parts, then coating them with the vinyl/leather dye. This is working out wonderfully. The dye sticks to the hard parts just like Krylon or any other paint would. I especially like that it's all one color.

As for the satin finish, there are many quality products out there that can be sprayed on and rubbed onto the panels to make them a bit shinier (avoid Armor-All like it was poison!.) A quick trip to you FLAPS will reveal a whole shelf full of them.

If you prefer to use a Krylon coat for any of the hard parts, Rotunda has it TOTALLY correct with his suggestion of using their clear matte finish. It's almost like magic. I've used in on everything over the years, it's particularly great on repaired gauge faces.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:12 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting a satin clear coat to put over it on the column and it looks great. I'll us this method for any hard parts. I also like the idea of using the same product for all the parts that will need it to preserve the color consistency through the interior. May get the clear coat from Corvette America for the vinyl parts since I assume it has a flex agent in it to prevent any cracking as the the vinyl does have some flex to it.

Primoz (12-04-2022)
Old 10-12-2017, 01:44 PM
Team Evil
Racer

What color are your interior seats/panels/etc. ?
Old 10-12-2017, 02:14 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

It has the dark blue interior that pretty much all either needs refreshed or replaced.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Blue interior with a black column—nice ! I'm re-dying my interior in Doeskin, it's currently dark tan. I was thinking that paint the column in Krylon satin black to match the speedo/tach pod might lend a more modern touch to the interior. Paint the eyeball vents as well.

Please post pictures of your progress, it'll help me decide.

Thank you—
Old 10-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Blue interior with a black column—nice ! I'm re-dying my interior in Doeskin, it's currently dark tan. I was thinking that paint the column in Krylon satin black to match the speedo/tach pod might lend a more modern touch to the interior. Paint the eyeball vents as well.

Please post pictures of your progress, it'll help me decide.

Thank you—
Old 10-12-2017, 03:32 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Going to be awhile before the interior really get worked on. Working on all the suspension, brakes and steering right now to get road Worthy, then paint etc. Interior is actually last on the list right now, but doing parts as I have them out.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Just the opposite here. The engine needs to be sorted out, I just can't imagine how bad the bushings and brakes are, tank and fuel lines are probably even worse. All that I can get to easily and afford to resurrect is the interior. Makes me think that I'm making progress, otherwise it would just sit there, taunting me . . .

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Dye

Old 10-12-2017, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Going to be awhile before the interior really get worked on. Working on all the suspension, brakes and steering right now to get road Worthy, then paint etc. Interior is actually last on the list right now, but doing parts as I have them out.
100%

For what this is worth to those who are going to get into all aspects of their car in time.

My process...if all possible...do all mechanical work.....then paint it.....then the interior.

Leaving the interior to last is best...unless you want to take it back apart when you go and paint it. Or leave it in and let it get possibly damaged.

DUB
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 PM
1976-L82
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I painted my steering column with the same brand dye in 76 buckskin, then used gloss clear over it. It's a bit shiny but looks great. I also used the satin clear over the plastic parts such as the kick panels. Gives it the same sheen as the vinyl.
Team Evil (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 03:00 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

“Dye” and “paint” are words used interchangeably, it’s all just paint as both can be used on metal and hard or soft plastic. Because different materials and different textures reflect light in a verity of ways, some parts can appear dull while others may appear to have some level of gloss. Using a good quality clear coat available in flat, matte, semi and gloss finishes can even out any inconsistent tones. CA has a 71/72 dark Blue dye that has a semi gloss while it’s 70,71,72 Red is flat and needs a matte clear spray for an even look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior Dye