Sponsored by:

71 heater hose question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Default 71 heater hose question.

My friend over seas is looking at this 71. Looks like it had AC And the Compressor is missing. What is with the heater hoses and the over flow tank? Notice the braided gas line? I am leaning to tell him to run away from this one. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sorry dum dum moment!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cooter Tech; 10-11-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not see any photo to look at...if that is what you want us to do.

Also it depends if your friend is looking for a 'factory correct' Corvette...or one that they can drive.

DUB
Old 10-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
I do not see any photo to look at...if that is what you want us to do.

Also it depends if your friend is looking for a 'factory correct' Corvette...or one that they can drive.

DUB
Sorry, I added the photo. He wants a driver, looks like a few short cuts on this one and no pictures of the underside.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Yes the car did have AC, and the compressor and brackets are gone. There's a lot of other non stock stuff, going on under that hood.

AC cars used heater hoses with molded ends. I'm guessing that since they didn't have hose with molded ends, they used longer hose so that they could put a big loops in it, to avoid having it kink.

I can't say why there is a overflow tank on it.

I'd be a little concerned about the plug in the valve cover, where the breather or PCV should be. I'm wondering how they're venting the engine?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Yes the car did have AC, and the compressor and brackets are gone. There's a lot of other non stock stuff, going on under that hood.

AC cars used heater hoses with molded ends. I'm guessing that since they didn't have hose with molded ends, they used longer hose so that they could put a big loops in it, to avoid having it kink.

I can't say why there is a overflow tank on it.

I'd be a little concerned about the plug in the valve cover, where the breather or PCV should be. I'm wondering how they're venting the engine?
Thanks, Isn’t the PCV valve on the drivers side?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Thanks to all, there are only a few photos of the car, mostly the body. Nothing underneath.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:49 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Thanks to all, there are only a few photos of the car, mostly the body. Nothing underneath.
That in itself probably tells you all you need to know.
The following users liked this post:
Cooter Tech (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Maybe more information that is needed here...but what the heck.

Not a deal breaker ....but...I just repaired a Corvette this past week that had a totally screwed up PCV system....and this car seems to be the same but much easier to get correct than what worked on.

In the photo below...the plug that looks white that is in the valve cover ( which is valve cover for a Tuned Port engine) is plugged or capped off.

IF there is a PCV in the other valve cover (left valve cover)...than the white plug in the valve cover needs to be taken out and some type of filter installed.

Due to this valve cover being capped off....the engines PCV system is being suffocated. Becasue where is the filtered fresh air coming into the crankcase area at in order for the PCv system to do what it is supposed to do??

For those who may not know...the PCV system is designed to draw out the combustion gasses that pass by the rings...and build up in the crankcase area....and the PCV pulls these gasses into the carb so they can be burned.

And keep in mind....if you pull out this plug and the left valve cover has the PCV in it and it is connected....and you place a dollar bill across the grommet in the right valve cover while the engine is running and it does not get sucked to it....that is telling me that either there are leaks in many of the gaskets...or the engine has more blow-by than the PCV can keep up with. IF the dollar bill blows away from teh grommet or you place your hand over it and feel puffs of air blowing against your hand...then the engine is SHOT...more than likely. Excessive ring wear.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Cooter Tech (10-12-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 71 heater hose question.

Quick Reply: 71 heater hose question.