Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:15 PM
visionary
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Opinions please

Hi there,
I have been a lucky man to have owned 3 C3's a C4 and 2 C5's. I currently have a great C5 that is bone stock, but well pampered. I am considering buying a 73 C3 with a big block 454 4 speed. I know these are somewhat rare and I think they will continue to rise in value. My question is, can the engine be rebuilt with internals of a higher hp 454 or will that completely demolish it's value. I think they were rated at 275 hp in 73, not so good compared to now. If you had this car what would you do?

Mike
Old 10-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Hi Mike, Some would consider that blasphemy. I don't. I prefer modified cars. If I was a buyer in that scenario and the cars were identical, I would buy the vette with the HP. Casting #s would all remain the same. No harm, no foul.

Ray
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If I had this car....It would all depend if I was going to be worried about how factory correct and perfect it is.

Knowing that the market for resale to those people who are hell-bent on it being 100% correct is lessening every day and the trend seems to be changing. SO it would depend if the target market I was shooting for would dictate my actions or not.

As for building the engine with stronger internals...I do not see why it could not be done (as you know) but if you are concerned that someone would pick up on it...or if it would diminish its value.....then I guess that depends on the person who is looking at buying it and if they care at all....seeing how you seem to be concerned about its future value.

DUB
Old 10-12-2017, 07:20 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Invest in other things than c3s as c3s dont have great bang for the buck,

Im with dragon that if two cars were the same but one had a rebuilt to higher hp engine, thats the one i would take,

For a 73 or really any c3 to be a car that has big increases in value the car needs to be cherry pristine perfect numbers matching low miles and something rare helps,

Ive been spewing for years that while cars like i just described will always have a market far more c3 owners want a car to drive, not look at,

You could pull the stock engine, bag it and drop in a sweet hipo bb....or just build what you have,
It boils down to what do you want,
Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

Rebuilding the engine to give it some performance shouldnt be a big deal....but the problem I ran into with my original engine was once the engines power was boosted, that 45 yr old block decided it didnt want to live! A cylinder wall cracked. Could have been core shift, could have been the fault of the machinist. Doesnt matter as the engine block swims with the fishes. Maybe just pull the engine and set it aside, build something fun!
Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

You can look factory correct with a 496 internals.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:03 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

A look back in car auction history can easily answer any concerns over original restorations.
It’s a no harm, no foul part of any restoration process to make sensible improvements along the way that doesn’t change anything that can’t be easily reversed with minimal effort.
Top dollar has been paid for many classic car restorations that look much more enhanced over any original ever produced. Perfect paint jobs without fish eyes, orange peel, runs or over spray. Triple chrome plating over flash chrome plating, perfectly painted engine compartments, beautiful thick painted engines, perfectly painted defect free frames with additional welding Vs lightly coated frames that begin to show surface rust even at delivery.
I have been to nearly 100 major cc auctions in the past 15 yrs. Many condition reports for restored cars state “Original #’s matching motor and drive train rebuilt exceeding factory specs and performance” or similar wording but the message is clear.
I would never expect to sell one of my restored cars with a penalty for a “Better then new” engine rebuild especially if partaining to internal, non radical parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions please

Quick Reply: Opinions please