Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welded rear crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:12 AM
fede
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately I won't be able to get any more pictures till February at least but I'm reasonably clear now about the issues with having that welded.
As to why it might have been done I'm not too sure, the 2 explanations I came up with are either a very crappy repair job or as a way to stiffen the rear suspension for performance reasons.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,607 Posts

the normal way to stiffen that crossmember is to remove the bolts and use round aluminum blocks under the bolt heads, not welding. See link below.

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...cing-kit-63-75
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (11-24-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:31 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,006 Posts

The aluminum discs are more safety, but also give a bigger footprint to prevent that crossmember from rocking on the rubber donuts! For street cars, you want some isolation by use of rubber or a softer material for street! Usually welding that crossmember is to remove the rubber and bushings to move it upwards, essentially lowering the car! The rear crossmember welded substantially reinforces and strengthens that rear frame area. It also eliminates any movement of the diff that could translate out to suspension and handling and gives stability to the drivetrain component relations under hard usage! I hate to give secrets away, but on my racecar to shed weight, that heavy piece of metal is gone except for just the rear diff mount area welded up!

Last edited by TCracingCA; 11-25-2017 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (11-26-2017)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:39 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doorgunner
welds eventually crack......running a torch over the weld after it is completed makes it last much longer.
I do that with chromoly to chromoly or chromoly welded to steel, but never needed to anneal or normalize steel welding on steel! If you tig, then you never need to do any of that!
Old 11-25-2017, 02:39 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,136 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by TCracingCA
Usually welding that crossmember is to remove the rubber and bushings to move it upwards, essentially lowering the car!
That suggests there wouldn't be room in a welded crossmember for the tools I've used and showed here.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:47 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ignatz
That suggests there wouldn't be room in a welded crossmember for the tools I've used and showed here.
Generally not! A lot of racecars just have removable panels or nothing back there to get all into the rear end area from above! That crossmember doesn't look like it was moved upward! My question on old race or old autocross cars when I see something like this, there are more mods that give a clue to maybe some history!

Quick Reply: Welded rear crossmember