Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Actuator or Relay Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Harbison
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Actuator or Relay Valve?

My son has a 1980 C3. Both headlights will go down but won't come up. This problem happened suddenly. Seems odd that both actuators would go out at the same time but what do I know?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Will the headlights come up if you use the override switch under the dash?
Old 01-07-2018, 05:25 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbison
My son has a 1980 C3. Both headlights will go down but won't come up. This problem happened suddenly. Seems odd that both actuators would go out at the same time but what do I know?
I've come to conclusion with headlamp operation that consistent expected operation becomes like the brake system and that an overhaul is needed at some point. I have a 78 and tinkered around the edges by troubleshooting vacuum hoses, replacing a relay here and there and then finally had the vacuum actuators rebuilt.

Now those headlights "pop" when I pull the light switch. Let's face it that 1980 is 38 years old. It's actually a fun project and there are restorers who will rebuild your actuators which will preserve the actuator markings, date code, etc.

But I agree, it is unusual that both actuators fail simultaneously and makes it sound like a vacuum/hose problem. That's why the troubleshooting starts with the vacuum/hose system before checking the actuators and relay.

There use to be a great troubleshooting guide posted as a sticky. Look for it as you wade into solving the 80's problem.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
Since your 1980 headlight system has 2 relays and 2 actuators it's seems unlikely that both relays or both actuators would fail at the same time.
So... a control issue (small hoses) to the relays.

A wiper switch problem?

Do you hear anything when you pull the headlight switch.... a 'hiss'?

Iceaxe's question... does the override switch below the steering column open the headlight doors when it's pulled?

What are you doing to open the doors?
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

This problem does sound somewhat far fetched, but actually can be fairly common under some scenarios.

We know the rear seals of the actuators are good as the doors will go down. We know the control hose plumbing to and from the relays are probably good as the internal relay piston must be raised to switch the vacuum signal to the "headlight down" position.

So what can cause the "headlight up" to suddenly fail? Both relays must get the actuating vacuum from the same shared vacuum reservoir. Any massive vacuum leak from one side could also bleed vacuum through it from the other side. Consequently neither headlight door would open.

I would look for a disconnected vacuum hose at the front of the actuators and/or the bottom hose on the relays. Next check the front seals on the actuators. A quick and easy way to do this is to pinch closed the vacuum hose going to the front of each actuator one at a time. If one side has a seal leak, and the other doesn't, that one should pop up.

Here's a link to the forum headlight vacuum tutorial;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tem-works.html
Old 01-07-2018, 01:57 PM
oldboat
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

it is strange that both would fail at once if there are two relays, but my vote is for relay failure. vacuum to the relays closes the headlights, but the spring in the top of the relays should open them.
of course this time if year it could be ice freezing the system.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That other post is mostly about theory,
Here's a hands-on how to:
http://www.corvette-101.com/vacuum.htm
Old 01-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Harbison
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Override switch is missing for some reason. We reach underneath and push the headlights up. I'll go through the troubleshooting and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:01 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

I have the same issue on my 78. So I am following this.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Actuator or Relay Valve?

Quick Reply: Headlight Actuator or Relay Valve?