Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non original engines

Old 01-11-2018, 11:20 AM
scondon

Default non original engines

well I have a odd question, why is it that most all of the c3 vettes I look at do not have the original engine in it including my two. if something goes wrong with the engine why not fix it and leave it with the car. is it not better to have the original engine with the car then to put something else in its place. both my 73 and 75 have 350's in them but not the original engine. I don't get it.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:25 AM
TimAT
CF Senior Member

The original engine in my 69, 427/435 L-89, spun a main bearing in 1971. Next engine broke the cam between the 3 and 4 bearings about 2500 RPM, saved the rocker covers on that one. Engine #3, crate LS-7 454-460, pulled it after the cam went flat, couldn't afford the 110 octane fuel to make it happy anyway. Now it's a 496 that is happy on pump gas.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:29 AM
scondon

Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
The original engine in my 69, 427/435 L-89, spun a main bearing in 1971. Next engine broke the cam between the 3 and 4 bearings about 2500 RPM, saved the rocker covers on that one. Engine #3, crate LS-7 454-460, pulled it after the cam went flat, couldn't afford the 110 octane fuel to make it happy anyway. Now it's a 496 that is happy on pump gas.
yeah I have my 75 coupe with L82 hood badges but its not an L82 so now I am looking into how to put it back to an L82 to match the hood badge in case I want to sell it.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by scondon View Post
...I don't get it...
Swapping an engine would have been a personal choice for a previous owner.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Go Vette Go
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15

Back "in the day", we had no idea of how the values of these cars would grow!! "Numbers matching" had no meaning - didn't hear that term until after I got my first Corvette.

We would change parts, including engines, like you'd change underwear!! Someone had a more powerful engine available for sale of trade - we did it!! I had a new 66 Impala with a 283 that didn't stay stock long!

It was just the way things were back "in the day"!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Go Vette Go For This Useful Post:
marshal135 (01-12-2018), PainfullySlow (01-11-2018), Primo┼ż Krajcar (01-14-2018), Yankeededandy (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:46 AM
ENCSDOUG
CF Senior Member

In the early days it was cheaper to swap an engine verses rebuilding. Also, if you owned a C-3 during those times, do think we would considered someone 40 some years later would want it original? How many C-6 owners have swapped their motor for more HP? I know of a couple. Do you think they're worried about numbers matching for someone who may own it 40 years later?
The Following User Says Thank You to ENCSDOUG For This Useful Post:
20mercury (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM
Dynra Rockets
CF Senior Member

Remember that for a very long time most C3s were unloved used cars. For most people it came down to economics, if it was cheaper to put a running engine in from another car then that's what they did.

My '69 has a CE engine in it dated 1969. I'm sure the original owner was thrilled to get a new engine for it for free under warranty back then.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 01-11-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:18 PM
ballen06
CF Senior Member

well I have a odd question, why is it that most all of the c3 vettes I look at do not have the original engine in it including my two. if something goes wrong with the engine why not fix it and leave it with the car. is it not better to have the original engine with the car then to put something else in its place. both my 73 and 75 have 350's in them but not the original engine. I don't get it.
Not a whole lot of choices when you have a cracked block.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:25 PM
calwldlife
CF Senior Member

looks like most of the points have been covered.
i don't know what percentage of owners were capable of working on their cars but
i have a feeling it was a small number.

so that leaves shops that did the work and
made financial choices based on getting it running quickly.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM
BBCorv70
CF Senior Member

It wasn't uncommon to swap the engine back in the day when it either blew up or the owner wanted an upgrade. These cars were not collectible, just another used car.

For that reason, true originals are more coveted today, especially the higher performance versions, since they are thought to be more rare.

Now most people who own C3s with original engines will not discard the original. A true original adds value.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:21 PM
ronarndt
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BBCorv70 View Post
It wasn't uncommon to swap the engine back in the day when it either blew up or the owner wanted an upgrade.
Agree. I had a 66 Mustang 2+2 fastback in 1971 when they were not considered collectables. When the engine went bad, I went to a junk yard and got a running 289 motor and installed it in my car. In 1989 I sold the car, just as they were starting to gain value. Fortunately I had kept the original motor and that added about $1k to the asking price. Wish I had that car today.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:43 PM
mrvette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BBCorv70 View Post
It wasn't uncommon to swap the engine back in the day when it either blew up or the owner wanted an upgrade. These cars were not collectible, just another used car.

For that reason, true originals are more coveted today, especially the higher performance versions, since they are thought to be more rare.

Now most people who own C3s with original engines will not discard the original. A true original adds value.
I sold off the OEM engine/trans over 20 years ago....put in a modern drive train...... DPFI/roller/overdrive.....serp drive/modern HVAC comp....new aluminum rad and cond.....much less the rest of the upgrades....SO do you want to DRIVE it or STORE it???

Old 01-11-2018, 02:53 PM
63Corvette
CF Senior Member

I have never blown a motor which was rebuildable!! You could look right through them.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Mineolajoe
CF Member

Way back in the '70s I had a '61 and then a '67. The original motors were tired so I built LT1 small blocks from junkyard engines and swapped them out. At the time nobody cared about originality. That's just the way it was.

Fast forward to 2014 when I started looking for another Corvette to revisit my youth. I found a nice, numbers matching '70 coupe that needed a little TLC. It had racked up a lot of miles but the L46 engine was rebuilt in '89 and only had 15k miles on it. It was bored 0.020" to clean up the cylinders and the seller gave me the original 11.5:1 pistons. I'm going to do everything I can to keep it in original condition. Retaining value is one reason but there just are not that many C3s around with the original drivetrain. I see it as saving a piece of history.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:48 PM
Greg
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Not to worry!
In a couple more decades when the C3's are worth a small fortune, they'll ALL be numbers matching again.
Just like the C2's!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greg For This Useful Post:
20mercury (01-12-2018), 449er (01-14-2018), Metalhead140 (01-15-2018), Yankeededandy (01-12-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Mr D.
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If the engine in your 1998 Chevy Pickup gave up on you would you rebuild it or replace it? My guess is you would replace it because it's just a used Chevy pickup that has no real value.

A 1975 Corvette in 1990 had no real value because it was just a used Chevy.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 PM
ed427vette
CF Senior Member

The cars when new were under warranty for up to 5 years. Chevy was not interested in rebuilding the original motor, it was much easier to replace it. Many of these blew there motors within the warranty time frame and would get a CE block. Then those blew up......
Old 01-11-2018, 06:43 PM
loup68
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't forget that 1973-up engines lacked the much desired horsepower that the older cars had. So people would want to swap out the original motor, to get more go power. Lou.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 PM
The13Bats
CF Senior Member

I see purists sometimes seem to take it as a deep personal insult when a c3 doesnt have the orginal factory engine, or a guy doesnt care about saving it,

I am trying to understand your post and question as you say you bought two c3s neither with original engines,
Did you beat up the seller and get both for 1/2 their asking price because they have nom,

I doubt it, too many people building c3 restro mods for a seller of a nom car to take much bs about the engine not being orginal,

Dont get me wrong, a 68 69 427 435 car is cool as all hell, but i wouldnt care if the engine came in it, and people do restamp blocks or use another one of that year, but thats not the original engine,

Perhaps i missed your point and question, if you are simply asking why so few c3s have orginal engines, it starts with only a very small group care about such things and those cars are all around pristine looking 100% orginal head to toe, purists dont go after restro mods normally,
If a guy demands orginal then why would he even pester a seller of a nom car?

So when c3s blew their engine or just wore them out or guys wanted more hp than stock they slapped in a whole new engine, and tossed the old orginal one or sold it or whatever, sometimes they rebuilt it,

saving the old orginal engine for some possible rainy day the car is for sale and some purist wont buy it because of the nom isnt a concern to most c3 owners, especially with restro mods being the thing,

They wanna go play with their cars driving them,

PS
When i say "restro mod" i dont mean all out radical custom i mean the c3s like the majority of guys on this forum have,
A non orginal up to par driver,
Old 01-11-2018, 06:55 PM
LT-1 kid
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ed427vette View Post
The cars when new were under warranty for up to 5 years. Chevy was not interested in rebuilding the original motor, it was much easier to replace it. Many of these blew there motors within the warranty time frame and would get a CE block. Then those blew up......
I thought the warranty back then was 1 year 12k miles or 12 FT
what ever came first,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: non original engines

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: