Well I guess this is a bad sign!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 07:54 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21
Default Well I guess this is a bad sign!!!!!

Just about finished cleaning up the front half of the 1972 Vette and started to disassemble the rear area. So off comes the Spare tire carrier. That gave me nice access to the top of the gas tank. A few photos to get the angle correct and ouch!!!!!!

So I guess this is were my build sheet WAS. I assume it is lost.

I know it speculation but were they affixed well? Is the only way for it to be missing is its removal??

I guess there is still hope for the other build sheet near the dash!!!!

Ike
Old 02-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by general ike
...were they affixed well?...
No. They were never meant to be permanently affixed. Most got nothing more than a dab of glue.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ike,
I looks like part of the sheet might be folded up over the tank strap.
There MIGHT be some info still visible in that folded area.
IF the sheet extends under the strap at all there MIGHT be some info there!!!!
Maybe ?!?
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-19-2018, 06:39 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Alan I think your being an optimist!!!!! When I magnify that photo, all I see is a torn sheet of paper. Although I do see what you mean. I cant get me hand up there but my wife can. I will see what she can touch and decide what we are looking at. . Thanks all Ike
Old 02-19-2018, 07:02 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Tell her to be careful-- sharp edges may be lurking. If she's like my bride, she gets cut helping and you'll play he** getting her to help again.

And if she does help (good thing), tell her not to try pulling on it. It'll tear real easy
Old 02-19-2018, 08:05 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Yeah Tim you are 100% correct. Just getting her to try it is a game in its self. The more I stare at the pic the more it doesn't make sense. It almost looks like two different sheets of paper glued, one on the tank and then one on the strap. Ike

Last edited by general ike; 02-20-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I dropped the original tank on my 71 due to rust holes and the tank sticker was gone as in ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Guess it just eat itself over the years.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:33 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default acid paper

Originally Posted by Mr D.
I dropped the original tank on my 71 due to rust holes and the tank sticker was gone as in ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Guess it just eat itself over the years.
Most paper, cheap paper is what they call 'acid' paper...it's not PH neutralized.....
Acid to acid...dust to dust.

Mine came out in tiny little brown pieces...I did the jigsaw puzzle and glued them into a acetate sheet. Can read it...looked like the dead sea scrolls.

They called it the 'traveller sheet' IT DID!

unckahal
Old 02-20-2018, 09:45 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Interesting that they even saved it. For what purpose? Assuming it was needed for assembly only. I could see it just thrown away or jammed in somewhere so they did not have to walk to the garbage pail. But it was intentional glued to the top (error underside) of the fuel tank, possibly the most inaccessible location on the car. Does anyone know why GM did that?

Mine looks like it may have been torn away but that may be just me staring at the photo way too long!! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 02-22-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:35 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Interesting that they even saved it. For what purpose? Assuming it was needed for assembly only. I could see it just thrown away or jammed in somewhere so they did not have to walk to the garbage pail. But it was intentional glued to the underside of the fuel tank, possibly the most inaccessible location on the car. Does anyone know why GM did that?

Mine looks like it may have been torn away but that may be just me staring at the photo way too long!! Ike
Glued to the top of the fuel tank rather than underside. As the chassis moved down the line, this specified the chassis build. Glued on so it didn’t fall off and get mixed up. The location was strategic because it was very visible until the body assembly was dropped, and after that it wasn’t needed.
Another traveled with the body, and is occasionally found stashed between tach and speedo.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Sorry 62corvette, typing to fast, which isn't fast at all, meant to say on top. Thank you for your explanation. Complete logical sense, including why there was a second version by the dash!!!! Great info. Ike
Old 02-22-2018, 01:27 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default Body drop!

Originally Posted by L-46man
Most paper, cheap paper is what they call 'acid' paper...it's not PH neutralized.....
Acid to acid...dust to dust.

Mine came out in tiny little brown pieces...I did the jigsaw puzzle and glued them into a acetate sheet. Can read it...looked like the dead sea scrolls.

They called it the 'traveller sheet' IT DID!

unckahal
Guys my sheet was ON TOP of the gas tank....this was visible to all line personnel PRIOR to the BODY DROP.....THIS IS WHY IT WAS THERE!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:09 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry 62corvette, typing to fast, which isn't fast at all, meant to say on top. Thank you for your explanation. Complete logical sense, including why there was a second version by the dash!!!! Great info. Ike
Good afternoon Ike.

From reading a few of your recent posts and threads, it sounds like you are trying to learn about your 1972 Corvette's originality and what components, finishes, etc should be expected when you look at your car.

Please allow me to recommend a few references that I found VERY useful as I've worked to keep my car as close to factory specs as practical over the years. You may already have these books. If you do, I apologize for the redundancy and urge you to read through them with confidence.
1. 1969 Stingray Guidebook - by Rick Bizzoco. I believe this book is out of production, however, it can be found through the usual resale houses such as Amazon.
2. 1953-1972 Corvette Chassis Restoration - by Joseph A. Tripoli. I think this book too is out of production. Amazon usually has used copies available.
3. 1970-1972 Corvette Technical Information and Judging Guide (5th Edition) - NCRS Publication. I strongly recommend the extra money for the COLOR edition. There are many, many excellent photos along with detailed information on what came from the St. Louis factory.

There may be additional books that I've overlooked. Others will jump in if this is the case.

In my opinion, these are excellent books for your Corvette library. If on your shelf, you'd use them frequently. My car is largely complete (as far as I plan to take it) after almost 13 years of ownership/updates, however, I still reference these books and would not want to be without them, still today.

Hope this helps.

Don

Last edited by redrdstr72; 02-22-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:53 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Don, yes I am. I am trying to figure out what I have and what I should have. If I was smart I would just leave the car as is but I cannot look at a rusty car even though its only surface rust. So I am trying to find the CORRECT middle ground.

Thank you for the reference material leads. I have not heard of the first two and was debating on getting the NCRS guide. Good photos are what I am looking for.

I have The Corvette 1968-1982 Restoration Guide that is quite good but to me light on some photos. I guess they cannot photograph everything. I will look into your refernces. Thanks again Ike
Old 02-23-2018, 02:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The "Restoration Guide" is useful...but it is just a "guide". The NCRS documents are what NCRS uses to judge originality of cars, so that is the one to go by...if you are getting it judged by NCRS.

To be clear, those documents are their 'standard'. Not all factory cars were built as they were supposed to be. So, occasionally, there is a 'factory-original' vehicle which is not configured like the NCRS 'standard'. That's when it gets tricky and the owner has to PROVE that this 'original configuration' is actually how it came from the factory.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-23-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:06 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

I hope you find one behind the dash or gauges, but there is no garauntee one is there. Not too many were found there. Sometimes you might find one under the carpet or behind the kick panels.

I tell everyone who actually sees a tank sticker on there car to drop the tank immediately to protect it. Either cover it with clear plastic or if possible, remove it. Because if you don't, it can blow off and then you have what is in the picture in the first post.....

Last edited by ed427vette; 02-23-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:11 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Not much of mine was left when I replaced my tank years ago. I stuck it in a plastic Ziploc bag and it's in my toolbox.

Get notified of new replies

To Well I guess this is a bad sign!!!!!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:00 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I don't think the folks at Chevrolet built the C-3 Corvettes with any thought that 46 years later someone might want to see the original build sheet that was stuck to the gas tank. Having seen and heard so many stories about them I find myself believing more and more that what you have there Ike is the norm, and finding anything nicer than that is rare or fake. Unless the car was put in a time capsule it has seen a lot of weather cycling for moisture, heat, dryness, and paper like that just cannot, and will not hold up. Many owners later we are dependent upon the diligence of the owners that had the car before we owned it, and some just took better care of paperwork than others did.

Enjoy the 72 Ike.

David
Old 02-24-2018, 01:16 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

David, so true I am shocked that any of them survived. I assume it was nothing more than a simple piece of paper. Granted it is in a somewhat protected area. My 1972 is a very basic car, although fairly original, so not much need to prove anything through a build sheet, but I just love the history part of these cars.

7T1vette fully agree. Who knows what was going on from day to day, errors, by accident or on purpose, left over parts etc. From what I have read on the forum from past GM employees, I am not sure how much of a"tight ship" was going on in the 70s. For example my rear is marked "AX" which according to GM did not exist in 72, yet it was present in the years before and after. Alan had advised me that according to NCRS there are quite a few "AX"s out there. Who knows how accurate GM records were.

Ed
I have had the one kick panel off and nothing. The carpets were replaced by the previous owner so not sure what happened. I don't think he was that concerned with paperwork. I have had the center console off and did not see anything. I am waiting for a reason to remove the drivers side. Can't seem to muster up the strength to remove it just to look for a build sheet.

Greatly appreciate all the help!!! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 02-24-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Ike,
Don't feel too left out if you don't find a copy of the build sheet!
They're fun to have but are really only of importance to someone who wants to document something about their car.
BUT!!!!!! there is nothing on the Build Sheet that ties a build sheet to a SPECIFIC car!
UNLESS you happen to have the original Window Sticker TOO.
Because the Build Sheet contains an ORDER NUMBER and THAT number also appears on the Window Sticker which ALSO contains the car's VIN.
So that's the trail that needs to followed.
Probably relatively few Window Stickers around compared to Build Sheets.
Regards,
Alan

TankSheet...Order Number

Window Sticker.... Order Number AND complete VIN.
The following users liked this post:
71 Green 454 (02-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Well I guess this is a bad sign!!!!!