Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top installation

Old 03-01-2018, 08:11 AM
broughj
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Convertible top installation

I am finally finishing up the restoration of my 68 convertible. Had the top frame refurbished and have it mounted on the car. New roof rail and front bow weatherstrip installed and door glass and top frame aligned so that everything fits like it should. I have new pads, straps, and tension cables but they are not installed. They guy that I was planning to do the top installation wants me to remove the frame. He says that he will install the top on the frame without it being on the car, and then reinstall the frame. This installer has a lot of upholstery/top experience and does very nice work, including interior work for me on another car. I've questioned him some about how he would get the top on the frame properly without it being fitted to the car, but have not really tried to pin him down. Is it reasonable to expect that the top can the top be installed on the frame with the frame off the car and then reinstalled on the car and have everything fit and lineup as it should.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions,

John Brough

Old 03-01-2018, 08:23 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Hmmmmmmm......I guess anything is possible. Maybe he has a dimensionally correct frame set-up at his shop.

But still......I removed my top from the frame.....cleaned/re-dyed it.......and it still was a pain to re-install it to fit properly.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:24 AM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

After installing a new top on the frame while it was on the car, I can't imagine the difficulty that would be encountered trying to do it with the frame off the car! Has the installer ever done a "remote" top install before? Not saying it can't be done, but not without a lot of potential for problems.

Jim
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi John,
I took a look at the photos of customers having new tops installed by Al Knock at Carlisle.

It appears that all the tops are being installed on frames mounted on cars.
I've watched the tops being installed over the years and it seems that
having the windshield header and rear deck to refer to is an important part of the installation.

Even installing the new pads seems to require that the top frame be on the car.

So???
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-01-2018, 09:43 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

If you have access to a removable hardtop you should align the windows to the hardtop profile then; remove the hardtop and align the soft top frame to the windows.

I've never heard of anyone recommending removing the Corvette soft top frame to install the new soft top. Unless he has some jig that allows him to properly tension the top I really don't know how he'd be able to duplicate the established installation process.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:32 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Agree

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
If you have access to a removable hardtop you should align the windows to the hardtop profile then; remove the hardtop and align the soft top frame to the windows.

I've never heard of anyone recommending removing the Corvette soft top frame to install the new soft top. Unless he has some jig that allows him to properly tension the top I really don't know how he'd be able to duplicate the established installation process.
Agree, and due to slight variations in Corvette to Corvette bodies, I do not see how even a std jig would even help.

I suggest you find another top installer or better yet, do it yourself, here are some links:

http://www.rowleycorvette.com/corvette_repair3.html

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/33283/

Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:50 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
I took a look at the folding top assembly sheets in the AIM and it appears that the top DID come to the production line as an assembly.
This would seem to indicate that there was a 'jig' of some sort that was used to install the vinyl top on the top's frame.
But how??
Regards,
Alan

John Hinkley's St.Louis presentation indicates that the top assembly was installed on the body after it was on the frame and quite close to the car's completion.

Last edited by Alan 71; 03-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:16 PM
broughj
Intermediate

Thanks everyone! Your comments have reinforced my own thoughts. I don't have a hardtop or access to one, but I spent a lot of time adjusting the top frame and window alignment to get it in very good shape. Hate to ruin all that work by taking the top frame off. I too looked at the AIM and figured that the top cover was installed on the frame before being assembled to the car. As Alan said, but how? I am certain that my top guy does not have any type of jig. Him being able to do it without being mounted to the car does not seem feasible to me. So, if I cannot convince him to do it on the car, I'll try to find someone else or make it another DIY project.

I want to ask a second related question. My top installer is recommending that I buy the top from ARO2000, a gentleman named Putt Georgi. His website is http://www.aro2000.com/ He claims to have used many of their tops over the years and they all fit well and were well made. Anyone know anything about this company?

Thanks again,

John
Old 03-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi John,
I see both cloth and vinyl tops are offered by aro2000.
Which type are you considering?
What color?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-01-2018, 03:14 PM
broughj
Intermediate

Black vinyl is what I'm thinking.

R/ John
Old 03-01-2018, 04:08 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by broughj
Black vinyl is what I'm thinking.

R/ John
Keep us up to date in this thread. I think the black vinyl (in '69 it was synthetic nylon) looks sporty, while the cloth looks Classy.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:35 PM
JBrooke825
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 156 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I can’t see how that would be possible.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:01 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

what could be possible??
Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Don't do it . That top would never look right and you would have trouble aligning it afterward because of the stress if he gets it too tight .

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top installation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible top installation