Sponsored by:

Finance a classic car

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by joewill
the secret is to put money down.. if you are wanting to borrow 100%, most won't loan you.. but if you borrow 50% and put 50% down.. then even i will loan you that money.

since I get the car for half price if you default, and it is great incentive to keep paying, when you have equity in your car.
This is what I did though my local credit union. Most want pictures of the car to ensure it's not a Junker. I put half down and work out great.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 AM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Idan55
Hello everyone, in new over here.
I hope it' the right place for this ad.

I'm looking to finance my first corvette 1980, but I'm not sure what are the best compnies there or if you guys had good/bad experiece with some....

Thank you,
Dan.
When I financed my bike in 2004 the salesman at the dealership suggested a local credit union. He was right.The rates and fees were so much lower than the local bank at the time that not only did I get the loan there but moved all my banking over too and am still using it. Worked out pretty good for me so maybe it's worth a look
Old 03-06-2018, 10:27 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

I had no luck with my work credit union. I had checking and savings accounts there and obviously they were exposed to my long work history and salary.

I remember many years ago I found a great buy on a ‘63 convertible in Ohio, but I needed to go get it quickly because the seller was getting a lot of calls. I called the CU first and went down there after they said they could expidite the loan. Upon arrival they said their “board” denied the $10k loan because it was “unreasonable for a ‘63 Chevrolet.” I asked if they had anyone working there that had some sort of clue what we were talking about, and they got pretty snotty.

I had to buy the car by using credit card convenience checks because I needed the money right away. After returning from Ohio I closed my accounts at the CU. I eventually sold the car for $36k.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:12 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

I've been treated very well purchasing used cars using credit unions.
+1 for credit unions!

Banks were far more difficult cost of the loan wise.

Scott
Old 03-06-2018, 01:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

If I were a lender, the only way I would loan money for a "classic" car (one which had a higher actual value than its black book listed worth) would be if the buyer had "Agreed Value" insurance on that car...and the payout for a claim would come to ME.

Otherwise, I'd be stuck with a heap of glass/metal and a worthless title if the owner had a major accident.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 03-06-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:51 AM
Stevelovescars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LightStream

I had great luck with LightStream. I could have paid cash but at the time, the loan was less than 3% APR and I figured my cash could go further elsewhere. The process is entirely online so there is nobody to talk to, but it was cheap money and it was quick. I applied and had the cash in my bank account the following morning.

Hagerty has some links to collector car loan companies, including LightStream, here: https://www.hagerty.com/finance/clas...tial-providers
Old 03-20-2018, 02:41 PM
radioguy
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used JJ Best Bank also. They were very easy to deal with. Got approval for X amount over the phone and they sent all the paperwork right out. When I found the car there was some paperwork exchanged and they sent the check to the seller. I got approved for more than I spent so the loan was for the actual amount borrowed.

They were very easy to deal with the entire time. I have zero complaints with them and would easily got that route again.

BTW, I bought my 71 LS5 Coupe through them.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:06 PM
LeeS
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Woodside Credit Amazingly low payments as well. Search for 80 Corvettes then click the insurance payment link on the page. This one is $16,995 and the payment is only $254.
Don't think it has to be a Hemmings car and I've never done it with them but have talked to them and it sounds easy and cheap.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...e/2084145.html

Quick Reply: Finance a classic car