international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,043 Posts

“Money is no object, I don’t care what it costs....”
Old 04-20-2018, 09:50 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

When I did my 72, it was my project so I did all of the glass work and priming and block sanding and sanding and sanding..... oh, anyway I needed final paint. Not too many shops want to paint over others work. So theres that. Then like several have found out, collision shops dont really want restoration projects taking up their shop space. So, finding a custom shop to complete a project can be quite a task. For one, custom shops and low cost are not readily available. I paid a lot of money to the guy who applied the final paint on my car. More than many would pony up for. But, everyone who see's my car in person has complimented me on the beautiful finish. And it only took 6 weeks. Like Priya said, it looks nearly done, either finish it yourself or wait it out.

Last edited by Sunstroked; 04-20-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

As a side note, Ive been half hearted trying to get a friend to sell me his 65gt mustang coupe, its a nice rust free car, but needs a lot of sanding, gap correction etc. I'd love to get the car, but I have no place to paint it. I learned my lesson doing my corvette, its messy as hell! Anyway, I recently had 1 of my cars repaired at a collision shop, minor scrape, but they did a fantastic job. They had a mid yr corvette under going a rear clip replacement, so I know they do restorations. I asked about painting the mustang, 8-12k, because they will not give a crappy looking car back, their reputation is at stake. So theres that too.

Last edited by Sunstroked; 04-20-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunstroked
As a side note, Ive been half hearted trying to get a friend to sell me his 65gt mustang coupe, its a nice rust free car, but needs a lot of sanding, gap correction etc. I'd love to get the car, but I have no place to paint it. I learned my lesson doing my corvette, its messy as hell! Anyway, I recently had 1 of my cars repaired at a collision shop, minor scrape, but they did a fantastic job. They had a mid yr corvette under going a rear clip replacement, so I know they do restorations. I asked about painting the mustang, 8-12k, because they will not give a crappy looking car back, their reputation is at stake. So theres that too.
Thats sounds about right on the money from my experience.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:34 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Motivational words: "Here is more money."
Old 04-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
Motivational words: "Here is more money."
He said he tried that already and the shop owner refused to take more money.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:28 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

One reason I purchased my C3 was that it had already been painted recently... not a great job, but decent. I've spent many hours cleaning and gently removing over spray... and generally trying to bring it to a higher level of quality.

I figured it was 5 or 6 thousand dollars worth of time and trouble I saved myself on this particular car.

Conventional (collision repair/insurance work) Body shops and classic car projects are poor companions for both shop and car owner.

mardyn

Last edited by mardyn; 04-21-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:37 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Feb two years ago, I had a person back their jacked up pickup over the nose of my '72 setting/parked at the bank....I suppose cams running so the gal got out and notified the bank....the cop guard came out and took a report.....so their insurance paid a total of 2700 bux to me, I cashed the checks.....and so it spent the better part of two weeks at Gordon Chevy....they insisted on putting a aftermarket hood on it.....mine is custom and I knew it could be fixed....so I picked up the car and cut them a check for 450 bux....they did nothing but patch up the RF fender and a bit of nose work the bumper was not touched, all glass work....

SO dropped the hood off at another shop, he screwed it up BAD....

took hood and car to yet another place where he performed a miracle glass resto, and did some other patch work too.....2 days, he is the son of a used car dealer, so fixes the cars in a barn behind his folk's house and he is GOOD at fiberglass...REALLY GOOD!!!

then off to Macco for a 550 buck paint job......shown here on bottom link....it's a 10-10 job, not show quality, but gets lots of compliments, they shocked it's a Macco job.....

total cost to ME 2100 bux total ET 1.5 months......the extra paid some taxes......

It's not the END of the story yet, but over for the body/paint asspects of this event.....

Last edited by mrvette; 04-22-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

All this hassle is why my Vette will be wrapped rather than painted. In and out in a week at 1/3 the cost.

No body shop involved. Just a custom shop that wants to get paid.

Last edited by Corvette SSX; 04-22-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:41 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette SSX
All this hassle is why my Vette will be wrapped rather than painted. In and out in a week at 1/3 the cost.

No body shop involved. Just a custom shop that wants to get paid.
Wraps have pros and cons too and imho do not replace a decent paint job...
Old 04-22-2018, 07:49 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I told them "I'll have a flat bed here at 4;30". And walked out.
They left a message they'd shoot the paint first thing in the morning.

It worked.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:43 AM
macrohard
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
Its called Paint Jail for a reason. No, you do not get out early for good behavior. I brought one in while the shop was going out of business and the owner had NOTHING else to work on. Took like 11 months total and we had to move it to his home shop in middle of the job when his building finally sold. It got finished, but nothing I ever did could move it along any faster.
Paint Jail. Perfect.

Quick Reply: Choice words to motivate a Body Shop