Another Speedo question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM
ray_ray
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Another Speedo question..

Where the Speedo connects to the transmission,
should you be able to move the cable and can see it wiggle where it goes in the transmission or should it not move at all. Trying to trouble shoot no Speedo at the dash thanks all.. does anyone know what a kick up seloiniod for a a.c. does and where to get one.

Last edited by ray_ray; 05-30-2018 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Continuing question
Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by ray_ray
Where the Speedo connects to the transmission,
should you be able to move the cable and can see it wiggle where it goes in the transmission or should it not move at all. Trying to trouble shoot no Speedo at the dash thanks all.. does anyone know what a kick up seloiniod for a a.c. does and where to get one.
The cable at the tranny should be pretty tight and on a good car I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could make it move, but it should be pretty snug to the tranny. You didn't say what year the car is?

Willcox
Old 05-30-2018, 01:53 PM
ray_ray
Pro

It's a 82 , 4 speed manual installed
Old 05-31-2018, 12:28 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The cable at the tranny should be pretty tight and on a good car I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could make it move, but it should be pretty snug to the tranny. You didn't say what year the car is?

Willcox
I had a similar problem. The 4-sided core was bottoming-out inside the transmission gear/binding against the inside of the gear, and not allowing the cable housing to seat against the transmission. The housing could be wiggled with slight finger pressure. I ground 1/16" off the end of the core so the cable housing would fit firmly against the transmission....my transmission was an automatic, though.

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-31-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:02 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I had a similar problem. The 4-sided core was bottoming-out inside the transmission gear/binding against the inside of the gear, and not allowing the cable housing to seat against the transmission. The housing could be wiggled with slight finger pressure. I ground 1/16" off the end of the core so the cable housing would fit firmly against the transmission....my transmission was an automatic, though.
Doorgunner is right... and I just remembered a car we had this issue with and it's the same one we have with speedometers all the time. Possibly part of an old tip is broken off in the gear. On the speedometers I have a small section of spring steel (it's the same inner cable we use to make heater control cables), and I took a set of side cutters and made little notches in the side. I heat this up with a torch and then force it into the end of the speedo heads.... then I allow it to cool down. Once it cools you just pull the broken portion out.

Now the issue is the gear in the tranny is plastic, so you may need to pull the gear and look inside of it. If you see any portion of the old end gear then you'll probably need to replace it.

Ernie
Old 06-01-2018, 10:57 PM
ray_ray
Pro

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Doorgunner is right... and I just remembered a car we had this issue with and it's the same one we have with speedometers all the time. Possibly part of an old tip is broken off in the gear. On the speedometers I have a small section of spring steel (it's the same inner cable we use to make heater control cables), and I took a set of side cutters and made little notches in the side. I heat this up with a torch and then force it into the end of the speedo heads.... then I allow it to cool down. Once it cools you just pull the broken portion out.

Now the issue is the gear in the tranny is plastic, so you may need to pull the gear and look inside of it. If you see any portion of the old end gear then you'll probably need to replace it.

Ernie
if I disconnect the cable from the transmission about how much trans fluid will I lose, do I need a bucket underneath..thanks
Old 06-02-2018, 05:19 PM
tehjrow
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ray_ray
if I disconnect the cable from the transmission about how much trans fluid will I lose, do I need a bucket underneath..thanks
I'm also wondering this. I have a trans leak and I think it might be coming from the speedo cable.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:39 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 06-03-2018, 09:11 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

On a manual, you will not loose fluid if you disconnect the speedo cable, IIRC. You should definitely disconnect it though, and then chuck up the cable in a drill and run the drill in reverse and see if the speedo works. This will of course eliminate anthing beyond the trans as the problem if your speedo works this way.
The following users liked this post:
SciVette (06-10-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 09:34 PM
ray_ray
Pro

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
On a manual, you will not loose fluid if you disconnect the speedo cable, IIRC. You should definitely disconnect it though, and then chuck up the cable in a drill and run the drill in reverse and see if the speedo works. This will of course eliminate anthing beyond the trans as the problem if your speedo works this way.
thank you sir I will try that

Get notified of new replies

To Another Speedo question..

Quick Reply: Another Speedo question..