Sponsored by:

1982 corvette special edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 02:48 PM
lookingnow
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 corvette special edition

what options made a 1982 corvette a special edition?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by lookingnow
...what options made a 1982 corvette a special edition?...
It was called a Collector Edition. The special equipment included in the Collector Edition package had special paint and graphics, special leather interior trim, Collector Edition only wheels, glass tops, rear defrost, optional ties, power antenna, and the only operable hatch back to appear on C3s. These cars had a special VIN identifying them as Collector Editions. The sticker price was also the highest of any C3.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-08-2018 at 04:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lookingnow (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 04:57 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

The opening rear hatch is the most special and only available on the "Collector's Edition".

The entire 1982 year was "special" in that it ended the exceptionally long run of the 3rd generation Corvette. The 4th generation Corvette was so hyped in the media and so initially problematic that production skipped a year until 1984.
lookingnow (07-10-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 10:45 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
The opening rear hatch is the most special and only available on the "Collector's Edition".

The entire 1982 year was "special" in that it ended the exceptionally long run of the 3rd generation Corvette. The 4th generation Corvette was so hyped in the media and so initially problematic that production skipped a year until 1984.
That and the Collector Edition Wheels, with the Star Burst Center caps and 255/60 R15 Goodyear Steel Belted Radials. The wheels were styled to resemble the 1967's "bolt-on" optional wheel, but in 8" width.

Good luck... GUSTO
lookingnow (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 03:27 PM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

...and the collector editions were so special that literally one in four corvettes produced in 1982 was a CE; 6,759 out of 25,407 produced. Stunning cars but a bunch of them were made...
lookingnow (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Dont you just LOVE it when they gush Ebay hyperbole about how RARE and special the 82CE is........................until you point out that 1-in-4 statistic ?
Now dont get me wrong i like them, but L88-rare they are NOT
lookingnow (07-10-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

I believe I read somewhere that the plan was to ensure every Chevrolet dealer got one, similar to the '78 Pace Car.

GUSTO
lookingnow (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:07 PM
lookingnow
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks easy mike

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
It was called a Collector Edition. The special equipment included in the Collector Edition package had special paint and graphics, special leather interior trim, Collector Edition only wheels, glass tops, rear defrost, optional ties, power antenna, and the only operable hatch back to appear on C3s. These cars had a special VIN identifying them as Collector Editions. The sticker price was also the highest of any C3.
h
they may not be the hottest vette, but the pricing is affordable
Old 07-10-2018, 09:15 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lookingnow
they may not be the hottest vette, but the pricing is affordable
The '82 was the most refined of the C3 Corvettes. While no one would confuse it with the performance Corvette of the early C3's, in so many other ways it really is a superb car. A low mileage '82 can be a joy to own and the Collector Edition at a good price is just that much better.

The only real draw back to the '82 CE is the hatch itself. The hinges that mount the hatch to the halo were really not up to the job and over time they tend to bend. This causes the glass to not sit on the seal correctly and water can leak in. Do a search on the CE hinges here and you will find more than a few threads on them. Someone at one time offered a replacement hinge that corrected the problem, but I'm not sure if they are still available. To my knowledge GM does not offer the original hinges any longer, but if they did, it wouldn't really solve the problem permanently.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Bajaholic
Burning Brakes

Received 388 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
The '82 was the most refined of the C3 Corvettes. While no one would confuse it with the performance Corvette of the early C3's, in so many other ways it really is a superb car. A low mileage '82 can be a joy to own and the Collector Edition at a good price is just that much better.

The only real draw back to the '82 CE is the hatch itself. The hinges that mount the hatch to the halo were really not up to the job and over time they tend to bend. This causes the glass to not sit on the seal correctly and water can leak in. Do a search on the CE hinges here and you will find more than a few threads on them. Someone at one time offered a replacement hinge that corrected the problem, but I'm not sure if they are still available. To my knowledge GM does not offer the original hinges any longer, but if they did, it wouldn't really solve the problem permanently.

Good luck... GUSTO
Just to be fair, every C3 and before Leaked. It wasn't a matter of if it leaked, but how bad and from what angle.

I get a kick out of he new car guys (people that have only owned C5's and newer) they have no idea how archaic the old ones were. But that is part of the mystique... I personally think this is how the phrase of "never being driven in the rain" got started...
Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Default 1982 Collector Edition Rear Glass

These are just a few posts, but believe me, I would not be discouraged from a nice '82 CE, particularly if the hatch was not leaking and the hinges were not bent.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ear-glass.html post #4 on...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fo-needed.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tt-hinges.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-an-82-ce.html

By all means do check out the Corvette Collector Edition Registry

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
...I believe I read somewhere that the plan was to ensure every Chevrolet dealer got one...
I've read the decision was made to not to put a specific number on CEs to avoid the issues encountered with the Pace Cars. They simply scheduled the cars based on the number of orders they received. I've also read speculation that a percentage of folks who may have wanted a CE waited and ordered a new C4.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:45 AM
KGV
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the look of the 82 CE. If I had the money and the garage space, I would have one with an LS7 swapped in

Ken
Old 11-09-2018, 01:42 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default Rarer than you think....condition tells!

First the 82 CE was a fuelie with twin TBI's, Then it had solenoid actuated Ram Air. To ensure good performance the first two gears in the 700R-4 transmission were lowered and the upper gears were raised, achieving almost DOUBLE the usual Corvette gas mileage. I regularly get 26mpg on 89 octane pump gas. Then it had the one million cycle fiberglas rear spring.
Wheels & tires were specific,
3 cloisonne emblems
BRONZE T-tops only year.
Extra plush carpeting only application.
Usually pretty loaded with the most common additional 'specified' options of radio/cb and t-top carrier.
Though the rear window gets some bad press....mainly most people do not realize that its adjustable. I find the hatch the CE's 'most endearing feature' after the spectacular interior.
I'm so glad to have mine in my fleet.
Many people have commented derisively on the 6735 production number...of course that was 37 years ago....I'd like to say that PERHAPS/MAYBE there are 1500 left that are in anywhere near the condition of my car or some of the very nice examples still left.
Every time I look for 82 CE threads there are HUNDREDS of modified units that will never really be original anymore. There are THOUSANDS of pretty ****-poor units out there.
A little math says that every state got about 135 units/avg. There are exactly TWO in PHX area that are in the condition mines in....so RARITY! HELL YEAH!
I showed up to Scuderia...the Ferrari-centric gathering in Scottsdale AZ... Dozens and dozens of Ferraris (red boring) ONE 82 CE!. 1000 cars of all types and stripes.

Enjoy your search. So far the record is $39,990 for a 700 mile 82 CE with provenance.

UnkaHal
Old 11-09-2018, 11:51 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If I was interested in owning a C3, and an '82 CE was available, in good condition, and the Cross-Fire engine management system and TBI's were still operational, that car would get some serious consideration from me. Keep in mind that at the start of the C3 era, the cars were 'muscle' vehicles; at the end of that run, they were Luxury Sport vehicles. IMO, you shouldn't buy an '82 CE if you want to mod it out with a bunch of ' go-faster' stuff. Even though lots were made, it is a very identifiable car with a special personality that shouldn't be altered.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 corvette special edition

Quick Reply: 1982 corvette special edition