Exhaust manifold bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:03 AM
swensonm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Exhaust manifold bolts

Good morning
I am going back to OEM manifolds. I know the bolts are 3/8 x 16 but I can not find the correct length a 78 parts manual shows 2 3/16. Anyone know it that is correct for a 74.
Thanks
Mike
Old 07-14-2018, 09:26 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You can buy the correct bolt kits due to on some manifolds the bolts are very unique due to the bracket for the A/C compressor mount.. These bolt kits also should come with the special thick washers. If not...I would get them also.

Also getting the 'French locks' for the two outer bolts one each end of the manifold is wise also.

If you are just planning in 'winging it' and getting bolts.. I get them so that they have about 1/2"+ of thread coming out past the flat surface of the manifold where it makes contact with the cylinder head. I clean the threads out and verify the depth of each threaded hole to make sure I am on point and when I go to bolt it up. I am not bottoming out the bolt and I know the bolts will thread in easily and not bind up due to me doing this.

I also install a gasket there also. Some choose not to...some chose to use an RTV.

DUB
Old 07-14-2018, 11:10 AM
swensonm
Racer

Dub
Thanks
I have a non AC car and the A.I.R. tubes have been removed so just looking for bolt.... Thanks again
Mike
Old 07-14-2018, 06:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

The bolt for what....the A.I.R. tube holes??? Due to you are wanting to cap them off.

DUB
Old 07-15-2018, 10:04 AM
swensonm
Racer

Originally Posted by DUB
The bolt for what....the A.I.R. tube holes??? Due to you are wanting to cap them off.

DUB
The PO removed the AIR system and the manifold I bought have AIR holes so I need both plugs for AIR and manifold bolts
Old 07-15-2018, 11:20 AM
DUB
Race Director

So are you going to buy the bolt and washer kit and French locks from Corvette parts supplier....or get them locally?

As for the plugs that can go into the A.I.R. holes ...you can get then locally also at a fastener supply hose in your area. These plugs are NOT pipe thread,,,,even though people have used them.

I have the stainless steel Allen head set screws that can go in there...but I am sure you can take one of your manifolds to a place and find one that will fit.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust manifold bolts

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold bolts