Sponsored by:

Outdoor/Indoor Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM
dalane
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Outdoor/Indoor Car Cover

Do you guys have a favorite C3 car cover.? Mostly indoors, but occasional outdoor if have a big project in the shop.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 763 Likes on 532 Posts

I have a 5 layer waterproof cover but I can't find the brand name or who I bought it from. I do know the inside is real soft and it is totally waterproof after the couple of monsoon rains it's been through this summer and not a drop of water inside my Vette or even under the cover. I don't use it when my Vette is ins the garage but if I had to it would be fine for it. I'll see if I can dig up more information. I do know that it's not a NOAH which are very expensive IMO. I paid under $300 for mine.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 AM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dalane
Do you guys have a favorite C3 car cover.? Mostly indoors, but occasional outdoor if have a big project in the shop.
I got this one I use it indoor but for short term outside I guess ok but short term. for me the price was great and it works well for my indoor use. it was like 30 bucks

Budge Lite Car Cover Fits Sedans up to 200 inches, B-3 - (Polypropylene, Gray)
Old 08-20-2018, 05:02 AM
theandies
Team Owner

I found the info on my cover and you can save 50% right now which is a great deal. I bought mine when they had a 25% off sale.

5 layer outdoor water proof Cover.
The following users liked this post:
dalane (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 11:41 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

Using a cover made for outdoor sue ids fine. BUT..then KEY thing is to keep in mind that this car cover CAN being to cause for problems due to no matter what the manufacture states about the car cover It will inhibit air flow and can cause for moisture to get trapped in areas where you do not want it.

So leaving you car covered outside and never taking it off after rainstorm and allowing the car to breathe will make it so you have to take your Corvette to a guy like me and I have to fix paint issues or rust developing in areas where it would not have developed due to being subjected to a 'greenhouse' type environment.

Because if you stop and think about it. IF water can not get through the cover...then what does that say about the water that got UNDER your car after a rainstorm and then the sun comes out and the water starts to evaporate and gets under the cover and into your car. Would not logic tell you that it would hold in that moisture and knowing that the air blowing around the car can not move as freely due to the fabric..that can further inhibit this moisture from getting out and migrating to areas it normally would not get into if left out in a free air flowing environment. And I can tell you that when person takes off a car cover outside when it is in the sun and opens the door the inside the car can be quite hot there also. Even though the sun was being blocked by the cover.

So if a person uses one for the outside. Just maintain it and keep an eye on things Because thinking that if a company sells something and market it as the thing to buy and use does not make it always the best thing to buy and use. Numerous cases of cars that were covered an left alone and only when they were uncovered...the problems began to show up. And depending on where you are located in this world...that can happen quickly or possibly take long time for the inevitable event to occur. Sometimes they do more harm than good. And that is coming from the Corvettes that I have personally seen get effected by car covers.

Indoor car covers in a good indoor environment are fine. But putting a felt car cover on your car inside garage that is damp and can get really hot and humid is not wise....as a mater of fact...get the car out of that type of garage. You are not doing it justice.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
dalane (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Dubs advice is always appreciated and it's good sound advice. With that said I know from experience that the cover I posted ZERO water, and I mean zero has penetrated it so far and it's been through some gully washers. I'd rather take my chances with a good cover than let water into my interior even though I've plugged all my leaks over the years. I just don't want to take the chance.
I don't store my Corvette outside and only use my cover if there is a threat of rain while I'm at work or away from the garage. Storing outside under a cover long term I'd heed Dubs advice.
It's like long term storage indoors. You shouldn't let it sit for years without starting the engine and even taking it for a short drive at least once a month. Leaving it in the garage to rot is almost as bad. Like anything else that gets cool metal will condense water inside the engine (and other things) and the only way to keep/get it out is to get the engine up to operating temp and the moisture will evaporate.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

'theandies'

Hopefully you know I was not singling you out that you made the wrong choice in using a car cover. Like I wrote..they are fine but just be smart and not trust them as the 'be all-end all' in car protection. I can see you take care of your car and use your car cover wisely. Many people do not do what you do.

DUB
Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 PM
dalane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by theandies
Dubs advice is always appreciated and it's good sound advice. With that said I know from experience that the cover I posted ZERO water, and I mean zero has penetrated it so far and it's been through some gully washers....
Thanks Fellas. I often have too weld or use woodworking tools on the other end of my shop and want to avoid having to wash and wax all vehicles afterwards. For that matter, I just added a big window a/c unit to my shop and put one of those home a/c filters on front since the one that came with the unit is permanent. Just puttering around in the shop, you wouldn't believe how quick that filter get's dirty. So mainly just keeping all that crud off my vehicles. Moisture is not a problem in my shop. Thanks for the heads up....you never know. That's a nice cover Andies, I'm going to ****** one up.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
'theandies'

Hopefully you know I was not singling you out that you made the wrong choice in using a car cover. Like I wrote..they are fine but just be smart and not trust them as the 'be all-end all' in car protection. I can see you take care of your car and use your car cover wisely. Many people do not do what you do.

DUB
It's all good DUB I knew you weren't and you brought up some good points about using a cover.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by dalane
Thanks Fellas. I often have too weld or use woodworking tools on the other end of my shop and want to avoid having to wash and wax all vehicles afterwards. For that matter, I just added a big window a/c unit to my shop and put one of those home a/c filters on front since the one that came with the unit is permanent. Just puttering around in the shop, you wouldn't believe how quick that filter get's dirty. So mainly just keeping all that crud off my vehicles. Moisture is not a problem in my shop. Thanks for the heads up....you never know. That's a nice cover Andies, I'm going to ****** one up.
knowing that you are using this cover inside to protect the paint from the inherent dusts that get on everything. I would be CAREFUL in buying a fabric car cover due to it will gather all of this dust and get into the fabric itself. not really knowing how good or bad your shop conditions are. I WOULD ALSO advise that you can stop by a paint and body supply house and buy one of the large plastic bags that we use to bag up a car when painting it.

NOW this plastic bag is really thin but it can be placed OVER you fabric car cover IF your shop conditions do not get damp. And thus...protect your fabric car cover when you are grinding and doing work so you do not need to wash your inside car cover all the time. I personally do not use these bags due to so many cars in my shop I keep covered but I have gone out and bought the thick black plastic and have made my own covers to cover the Corvettes in my shop that are not being worked on at that times when I do go to grinding fiberglass. And if the car has nice paint on it. I cover it with one of my inside car coverts and then the black plastic so any fiberglass dust or whatever does not get on my car cover. I use the black plastic so when people come into my shop I do not have to answer questions one each and every Corvette in the shop and why it is here and have an hour to two wasted.. I have enough cars in the shop that are uncovered that they can ask about. And I have been doing it this way for over 30 years...it seems to work and my shop conditions are very good in regards to air flow so I do not have to worry about damaging anything on any of the Corvettes I cover up.

DUB
Old 08-21-2018, 09:40 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Even the so called breathable indoor covers, where you can actually see the shine of the chrome through, trap moisture. If you live in an area that sees fast temperature and humidity changes in a non climate controlled building, any cover is a bad idea. The best thing you can do is have a tight well insulated building that is resistant to fast temperature and humidity changes. I have this along with a air circulating fan on a timer. In a well sealed building the cars stay clean anyway, a California duster is all I need.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:56 AM
dalane
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DUB
knowing that you are using this cover inside to protect the paint from the inherent dusts that get on everything. I would be CAREFUL in buying a fabric car cover due to it will gather all of this dust and get into the fabric itself. not really knowing how good or bad your shop conditions are. I WOULD ALSO advise that you can stop by a paint and body supply house and buy one of the large plastic bags that we use to bag up a car when painting it.

NOW this plastic bag is really thin but it can be placed OVER you fabric car cover IF your shop conditions do not get damp. And thus...protect your fabric car cover when you are grinding and doing work so you do not need to wash your inside car cover all the time. I personally do not use these bags due to so many cars in my shop I keep covered but I have gone out and bought the thick black plastic and have made my own covers to cover the Corvettes in my shop that are not being worked on at that times when I do go to grinding fiberglass. And if the car has nice paint on it. I cover it with one of my inside car coverts and then the black plastic so any fiberglass dust or whatever does not get on my car cover. I use the black plastic so when people come into my shop I do not have to answer questions one each and every Corvette in the shop and why it is here and have an hour to two wasted.. I have enough cars in the shop that are uncovered that they can ask about. And I have been doing it this way for over 30 years...it seems to work and my shop conditions are very good in regards to air flow so I do not have to worry about damaging anything on any of the Corvettes I cover up.

DUB
Thanks Dub. Great idea, not the most attractive, but efficient and effective. If I ever come to your shop, I'll be lifting a few covers so we can talk about your Vettes.!

Get notified of new replies

To Outdoor/Indoor Car Cover

Quick Reply: Outdoor/Indoor Car Cover