Sponsored by:

Brake Booster Push Rod Length

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:22 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Brake Booster Push Rod Length

The spacer is the brass colored cylinder in the middle.

Hey Guys, I’m having a real headache of a time with my master cylinder install. It’s on a ‘74. I purchased a MC from pirate jack, similar to the willwood MC. I intsalled Their spacer that goes into the back of the MC because that’s what I was Instructed to do so by the company. And when I did That the push rod is out too far to where I cannot Bolt up the MC to the booster. I called The company and they sent me a shorter push rod to install. So I pulled Out the long one and compared the two and they are nothing alike. If you guys have any suggestions of how to install it, cut the push rod, or anything would help!

Im to the point of just getting another MC and making it easy
Old 08-17-2018, 03:39 PM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,012 Posts

Is the adapter you were instructed to install for a non-power brake to power brake conversion?
I found this video interesting, its for the booster pin adjustment when replacing booster.

Last edited by bmotojoe; 08-17-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:28 PM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Originally Posted by bmotojoe
Is the adapter you were instructed to install for a non-power brake to power brake conversion?
I found this video interesting, its for the booster pin adjustment when replacing booster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6MgNNMQts
it was power brake. I know it’s incorrect. I’m just trying to figure out how to make it work, or remove that spacer. Or trying to make an exchange
Old 08-18-2018, 12:17 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It's very simple.... The push rod needs to be exactly the same length as the space in which it fits. If it is too short, you have no braking action until the push rod makes contact with the M/C. If it is too long, you don't have as much pedal for braking..OR..you can over-travel the apply valve in the M/C. It must be the same length as the space (total of pocket depths in booster and M/C) or just slightly less (0 to -010").

Any time you swap out a master cylinder or a booster you must measure the pocket depths and the push rod length to match them properly. DO NOT expect a part swap at at parts store to supply you with an identical part. It will merely be a part that will assemble to your vehicle.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:59 AM
Johnnypegs
Racer

Thanks guys. That video with that tool has a pretty nice tool for the measuring

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Booster Push Rod Length

Quick Reply: Brake Booster Push Rod Length