Wiper Motor Differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:03 AM
Thran69
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wiper Motor Differences

Hey guys,

I have a 68 Corvette, i have what i assume is a 68 wiper motor and 72 wiper motor. MY car has completely been rewired with a painless wiring system, factory harnesses (including windshield motor) have been removed. I have the wiper eliminated hood. (LONG HOOD) So this means i don't need half of the wires needed in an original.\
Would it better to us a 73-76 motor? I know that they eliminated the wiper door after 73, Any information would help. If i used a 72 wire, how would i wire this to the switches? Trying to wire this to the factory switch. All i have is the switch and motor. Probably going to end up buying a brand new one. Trying to figure out the best one to buy.

Cliff notes I have 68 Corvette, no wiper door. Need wiper motor, but do not have any stock electronics installed. What is the easiest way toi get my car wiping again?
Old 10-18-2018, 11:29 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you use the 73 and newer motor here is how it wired in.... since you have the "painful" harness in your car you might be able to convert it.

The 73-76 motor didn't use a wiper relay either so you'd want to eliminate that from the wiring.
You'll also need to verify that the wiper switch is grounded, if the center dash bezel is broke the metal plate on the wiper switch may not make enough contact to supply ground to the system. If it's broken it's always best to run a jumper ground from the wiper switch screws to one of the screws that holds the small gauges in place and doing this will assure you there is a ground to the switch.

You'll also notice the wipers piked up power from the brown wire in the fuse panel, yes... the center terminal has power all the time, it's just waiting from grounds from the wiper switch.

Willcox

https://willcoxcorvette.com/
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/

Please bump our sale threads if you get a chance..

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 10-18-2018 at 11:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Thran69 (10-19-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 12:46 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,699 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Wilcox comes through again!
Thanks for all the input and help you give others.
The following users liked this post:
Willcox Corvette (10-18-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 07:12 AM
Thran69
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
If you use the 73 and newer motor here is how it wired in.... since you have the "painful" harness in your car you might be able to convert it.

The 73-76 motor didn't use a wiper relay either so you'd want to eliminate that from the wiring.
You'll also need to verify that the wiper switch is grounded, if the center dash bezel is broke the metal plate on the wiper switch may not make enough contact to supply ground to the system. If it's broken it's always best to run a jumper ground from the wiper switch screws to one of the screws that holds the small gauges in place and doing this will assure you there is a ground to the switch.

You'll also notice the wipers piked up power from the brown wire in the fuse panel, yes... the center terminal has power all the time, it's just waiting from grounds from the wiper switch.

Willcox

https://willcoxcorvette.com/
http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/

Please bump our sale threads if you get a chance..

Is there a reason that 73 had their own year of Wiper Motor? Does anyone know if these fit up to a 68 wiper motor position? Does the 68 wiper motor have a different mounting location? Bolt pattern? etc.
I see that there is a 73 only motor, and 74-82. Which one would be a better fit. As I've googled this multiple times and have yet to find one piece of information regarding this topic.

The only reason I say this is like the hood latches, which I found to have different mounting holes then 69-76 hood latches. Something that isn't well known, and could differ from Early to Late 68 corvettes. I found this out the hard way with the latches. The 68 Corvette is a beast of its own, and i have found half the hardware that is "suppose" to work for that year, is clearly wrong. (like Door Guides, Weatherstrip, and

Cliff notes: 73 Wiper motor is one year only? Why? Is this the motor I want or 74-82. I don't want to be stuck with a 100$ motor that doesn't mount in the factory location. && Doe Willcox have any discount for forum members. Need to make a purchase. I've been going through ZIP lately. I know the forum guys prefer Wilcox. They do have very competitive pricing. Shipping usually is what determines who gets my order.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Thran69
Is there a reason that 73 had their own year of Wiper Motor? Does anyone know if these fit up to a 68 wiper motor position? Does the 68 wiper motor have a different mounting location? Bolt pattern? etc.
I see that there is a 73 only motor, and 74-82. Which one would be a better fit. As I've googled this multiple times and have yet to find one piece of information regarding this topic.

The only reason I say this is like the hood latches, which I found to have different mounting holes then 69-76 hood latches. Something that isn't well known, and could differ from Early to Late 68 corvettes. I found this out the hard way with the latches. The 68 Corvette is a beast of its own, and i have found half the hardware that is "suppose" to work for that year, is clearly wrong. (like Door Guides, Weatherstrip, and

Cliff notes: 73 Wiper motor is one year only? Why? Is this the motor I want or 74-82. I don't want to be stuck with a 100$ motor that doesn't mount in the factory location. && Doe Willcox have any discount for forum members. Need to make a purchase. I've been going through ZIP lately. I know the forum guys prefer Wilcox. They do have very competitive pricing. Shipping usually is what determines who gets my order.
1968 Motors were the one off motor, they had a completely different wiring schematic to them... the wires were in a different place.

1969-1972 motors utilized the limit switch power to keep the motor off when the door was open so they had had a main body power wire and were also designed to drive the washer pump.

1973 motors didn't need this additional wire because the wiper door was eliminated from the system, this motor was however designed to drive the washer pump and the wires reminded in the same place as previous years.

1974-1982 motors had a different location for the wires but the man body remained the same for that fact... So...

To answer your question any motor from 1973-1979 will work for your car, the mount bracket was the same.

Willcox

Old 10-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Spot Rot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

If memory serves, the 68 used a switch on the ground circuit to prevent the motor from running until the door was opened.

The 69-72 used a switch in the power circuit to prevent the motor from running until the door was opened.

I don't see why not to just use the 68 motor with the 68 wiring and just bypass (or hold closed) the ground switch.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Spot Rot
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

If memory serves, the 68 used a switch on the ground circuit to prevent the motor from running until the door was opened.

The 69-72 used a switch in the power circuit to prevent the motor from running until the door was opened.

I don't see why not to just use the 68 motor with the 68 wiring and just bypass (or hold closed) the ground switch.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:09 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Spot Rot

My guess is because he has a Painless (painful) harness..

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper Motor Differences

Quick Reply: Wiper Motor Differences