Old 10-20-2018, 07:09 PM
Hdavis
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Winter maintenance

I purchased a 1982 vette and live in New Jersey
i don’t have a garage so it will be in the elements during the winter
I have a car cover but I need suggestions on how to maintain it in the weather
should I drive it weekly add anything to the tank I’ve read that driving less then 10 miles per week is not good that it won’t even reach operating temperature
ive put in dry rid for moisture I think I may be too worried but some posts say the weather wrecks havoc on the exterior
thank you in advance this forum is so fantastic so many experts that are great resources

Old 10-20-2018, 07:35 PM
1970LS5
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I live just across the river and am in the same situation as you. I also use a car cover . I have a knife switch on the battery,and employ a battery tender for the winter months. I also place a container of desiccant in the cabin. Make sure that the antifreeze is fresh and at the proper mixture, fill up the tank and wait for spring. I have found that no fuel additives (Sta-Bil) are necessary for a three month storage.

If there is a sunny day with no contaminants on the road you can take her out for a cruise and and button everything up again. I have been doing this for the past nine years with no problems.
The following users liked this post:
Hdavis (10-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Hdavis
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but what’s a knife switch and how do you use a battery tender do you take the battery out I’m parking the car outside.
?
Old 10-21-2018, 03:02 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Knife switch is a battery disconnect switch. Battery tender is a tiny battery charger that moniters the battery voltage and charges as required. Or you can remove battery and take it inside and charge it before reinstallation.. I use drier fabric sheets to keep mice out of interior. T

Get notified of new replies

To Winter maintenance

Quick Reply: Winter maintenance