Sponsored by:

Front Grill Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Front Grill Suggestions

Hoping those with some experience with grill, bumper, bumperettes fitment can jump in on this one.... The front end on my 71 has been a challenge....I was missing brackets, gobs of fiberglass in the wrong spots and pieces of inner fender missing. I have since corrected the majority of the issues fitting the bumper brackets to the frame and headlight support. I am satisfied with the bumper fit....level with about a 1/2 inch gap.

I was able to fit the bumperettes touching the bumper and the lower valance/ brackets to frame.

Now my issue....when I fit the grill, the valance, where it attaches to the grill is low, by about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch.

I like the fit of the bumperettes touching the bumper and the lower valance I’m just not sure that’s correct. If I lower the bumperettes down/away from the bumper the 1/2 inch to 5/8 of an inch it will probably make up the difference but I’m not sure this is correct. In order to keep the bumperettes touching and fitting the valance to the grill I would have to cut and re-fiberglass the valance, which I have no problem doing.
Any suggestions, thought would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:46 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

PM RVZIO. He is currently fitting up a valence on 1 project and has another in paint. So he can get you measurements for bumper lip to valence gap. But a half inch gap either above or below grille? Nobody will notice it but you. As long as it mounts in solidly.
The following users liked this post:
Norm07 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 08:13 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default My suggestion;

These kind of body parts fitting drive people nuts. On my 72, I dry fit everything, bumper, bumperettes, front grills, ect, ect, and then and only then gluing the hood surround, fenders and lower front valence. I would likely cut the valence and rebond in the proper place. The other option, if not off too bad, is one time, I just built up the missing area and blended in the correct curve with fiberglass/VPA. Or you might try spacer washers for the bumperettes. In the end I sometimes split the difference if small as a compromise. Consolation is that GM never got this close out of St Louis either.

Here are some great resources, pricey but well worth the cost:
https://www.corvettecentral.com/sear...***+glas+ra+cd

I saw in a book by Richard Prince that how the real pros fit a chrome bumper, is they first mount the bumper and then do the fiberglass body work to match the bumper (LOL's)

Hope this helps

Last edited by 20mercury; 02-14-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Norm07 (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

“I saw in a book by Richard Prince that how the real pros fit a chrome bumper, is they first mount the bumper and then do the fiberglass body work to match the bumper (LOL's)”

I did this with my rear bumpers. I set them straight at the spot I wanted then fit the brackets. Once they were in place I fitted the rear panel and the exhaust surrounds. I ended up doing a fair bit of fiberglass work. Turned out just about perfect, quite pleased. There is no way it came out of the factory this good.

Thanks for your advice
Old 02-14-2019, 10:18 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm07
“I saw in a book by Richard Prince that how the real pros fit a chrome bumper, is they first mount the bumper and then do the fiberglass body work to match the bumper (LOL's)”

I did this with my rear bumpers. I set them straight at the spot I wanted then fit the brackets. Once they were in place I fitted the rear panel and the exhaust surrounds. I ended up doing a fair bit of fiberglass work. Turned out just about perfect, quite pleased. There is no way it came out of the factory this good.

Thanks for your advice
Good to know, and thanks for the tip!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm07
I like the fit of the bumperettes touching the bumper and the lower valance I’m just not sure that’s correct. If I lower the bumperettes down/away from the bumper the 1/2 inch to 5/8 of an inch it will probably make up the difference but I’m not sure this is correct. In order to keep the bumperettes touching and fitting the valance to the grill I would have to cut and re-fiberglass the valance, which I have no problem doing.
Any suggestions, thought would be appreciated.
I can say that I also LIKE if the bumperettes are touching the bumper....BUT...sometimes what I like is not reality. Some cars may allow this while others will not I ahve had to make the bumperettes drop down just like how you mentioned to make it so the grilles work.

Sometimes it is what it is and THAT is why the brackets welded on the bumper for the bumperettes is slotted and NOT a dedicated hole.

I just position them so both sides are equal and dropping away from the bumper the same.

The contour of your bumperette where it is supposed to mare up and n be in line with the park grille is what I go off of and set the bumperettes so the look is seamless.....even though there is a gap between the bumperette and the park grille.

DUB
Norm07 (02-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Front Grill Suggestions

Quick Reply: Front Grill Suggestions