1979 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Auzzie79
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1979 Corvette

Good morning all,

Ive only owned my first corvette for 2 months now and it’s been pretty fun trying to work out some of the little wiring gremlins that have been causing some issues. I haven’t found any mechanics, auto elecs or even locksmiths in my town willing or able to do work on the car due to the age, type or even fear of scratching the paint (I’ve heard a few pretty good excuses)
Anyway, since I retired from the military I wanted a hobby so I guess this is it. I’m learning a lot from forum members and trying to research a lot online to gain the relevant experience to work on my car. At the moment I’m trying to change the old vacuum system to an electrical system for the headlights (got the parts but unfortunately came with no instructions) and I have ordered all new relays, switches and wiring looms to rebuild the dash,engine and forward light electrical systems after the previous owner did a terrible DIY rewire job. The door locks unfortunately don’t lock very well either (hence the need for an auto locksmith)

It’s a slow process but I’m not giving up on this car and can’t wait to drive the finished product. With no trades support in my area I’ll need to learn all about this car myself so I’d like to ask any members for any advice on these types of repairs and loom replacements, locks, headlights etc as the more I can find out by real owners the better the result. Real owners want a quality job done and will take the time to get it done right.

Anyway, any diagrams, how to’s, clips, instructions, manuals or pictures or anything to help learn about the 1979 corvette systems would be greatly appreciated and any advice on my current car issues would be appreciated too.

In Australia there aren’t many corvettes (Left Hand Drive ones especially) so finding people to work on these particularly in my town up north are extremely rare so doing it yourself is just how it needs to be done.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Hey mate, whereabouts are you? You can find all the info you need to work on these yourself using Google or by asking questions on here. I love my LHD '79! I'm in NSW, near Newcastle. Anything more specific that you're looking for?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:59 AM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

This guy will send the electrical diagrams to you:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-anyone.html

You'll want to get the Assembly Manual & Service Guide too. Ebay will help out here, although not sure what the shipping is to down under, but there may be some available there as there are a few Vettes down there.

Ask your questions here, be detailed, and provide pics, if appropriate, you'll get lots of good advice.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:22 AM
mrichi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have owned a 79 for around 8 years and have done a lot of work on it myself if you have any questions I am only to happy to assist
Old 03-19-2019, 07:33 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Ebay is also good for reference pics of stuff. And youtube has videos to do everything. You could probably remove your own right kidney with a youtube video.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Auzzie79
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys. It’s good to know there’s plenty of people with useful advice on here. I’m sure I’ll have a lot of questions when the job gets started. Just waiting for parts to be shipped over the next 2-3 weeks.

Cheers
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I've done repairs on my 79 I never would have dreamed of attempting without the excellent info right here on this site. Do a search for any problems you encounter and chances are someone before you has had the exact problem. Congrats on your still new to you Vette!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Auzzie79
Heel & Toe

Thanks mate,

im going through a lot of the threads now and I think you could probably rebuild the entire car from scratch just by using the advice in this forum. The members here are very willing to share knowledge which makes it much easier to ask the questions without feeling stupid. I like to research the entire job before commencing, I guess that’s one attribute from my time in the military that certainly helps with civilian life. Getting the jobs done right the first time is what I’m aiming for because too many adjustments introduce too many side issues.

Ill be be pretty active on this forum gaining knowledge and then hopefully be able to pass my experiences on to the next Vette novice. Thanks again.

cheers

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Corvette

Quick Reply: 1979 Corvette