C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Historic Vehicle

Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM
1KULC7
CF Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 77 Posts

I just bought a house in Florida, and moved in about three weeks ago from Virginia/DC., Will be going through this whole prosses next week. I have all the paperwork to fill out, and hope to have it all done, but I do know the first thing is to get the Florida Drivers license. I moved from Virginia to Florida. Currently my Corvette is in Florida, my Buick (DD) is being used by my wife who is temporarily living in Northern VA, finishing up a job, then will join me in Florida end of year. I still will be able to register both cars in Florida as this is my residence since I own a home. This should be an interesting experience. I will let you know how I make out with this experience. CHEERS

Last edited by 1KULC7; 06-12-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:37 AM
tutermoe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In TN, one time fee for antique plates, can drive it on weekends and holidays, and to clubs or events, have never been stopped or bothered about it.
The following users liked this post:
78whtshark (Yesterday)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Roy W.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Florida Registration

Florida "antique" registration is optional for vehicles over 30 years old. No restrictions on mileage. I think tag is a little cheaper, but mine was all wrapped up in my having to pay sales tax because I bought it from a private individual. If moving from another state to Florida, make sure you have proof that you have paid sales tax on the vehicle elsewhere or they'll hit you up again......With regard to insurance, I originally had my '81 with State Farm, but after the original quote, found it turned out to be more than the quote and also had mileage restrictions, so I dropped them. I then checked around and Progressive had the best rate for my '81 daily driver.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM
Bergerboy
CF Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Ditto the Michigan route of using a 2nd hand plate from the year of your car. Cost me about $20 on eBay. And there was a good selection at the time so I could browse for good condition and a "cool" plate number for my '69. Turns out, in Michigan back in the day, the plates were formatted with 2-letters and 4+ numbers, where the 2-letters indicated the county of registration.
Paid (I think) $30 for the 1-time registration.
The driving restrictions listed on the SOS website for such a registration are pretty clear, but also pretty subject-to-enforcement.
As long as you're not clearly driving it daily as your main transportation, there should be little risk of getting pulled over (for just your plate, that is!).
Plus, if you ever WERE to get stopped, who's to say you weren't on your way to a car show or a club meeting or to the repair shop?
Doubtful our Boys and Girls in Blue would be such Richards as to bust chops over something like this. They've got much bigger fish to catch and fry around here.

In the auto business, we have "M" plates assigned to the Manufacturers for certain "test cars".
By law, you shouldn't be driving any M-plated car for anything other than testing on public roads (apparently these plates are charged and taxed much lower than citizens' plates).
Can't tell you how many company vehicles are spotted around The Mitten with M-plates, at locations that are clearly not work related!
Again - not the top priority of our friendly law enforcement departments.

Last edited by Bergerboy; 06-12-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 PM
Gold Dragon
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Maybe a silly question.Is there a difference between Historic plates and Collector plates.? My vette has the latter. Thinking there are no restrictions with Collector plates. The fee is 0$ per year.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 PM
C3 Stroker
CF Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Gold Dragon View Post
Maybe a silly question.Is there a difference between Historic plates and Collector plates.? My vette has the latter. Thinking there are no restrictions with Collector plates. The fee is 0$ per year.
Check with your local State BMV, but in Ohio they are very similar except Historical plates have the age requirement of 25 years or older, while a Collector car can be any year.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Fredtoo
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

This is what we have in Jersey

To be considered a historic vehicle, the vehicle must be at least 25 years old and only used for exhibition and educational purposes by the owner.

Luckily, there is no definitions
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 PM
l82vett

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Michigan there are a couple ways to register your car. Standard plate or go with the antique or [ YOM ] year of manufacture. I have YOM plates on 4 of my older cars. Insured with Hagerty with the agreed value insurance. I drive them when ever I want but not as daily drivers. With the YOM plates the insurance cost is 1/2 as a regular plate. My registrations usually come back within a week and a half. As stated above you go to the Secretary of State office and get a form for the YOM plate. $30.00 for ever . Antique is only a certain number of years. and of course regular plate you pay every year. You do need proof of insurance at that time. As stated go on e-bay pick out the year of your car or the year plate that was used during that year. Be sure to look closely , you want a good looking plate. Also if you have a in-between year that required a sticker , like my 80. I bought the 79 plate and a 80 sticker to put on it also from e-bay The SOS requires a copy of the plate with the proper sticker for the year of the car sent in with the application. You have to send the paper work in , the SOS office only gives you paper work and takes your money. Easy Peazy.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:16 AM
rmgny44
CF Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Classic Vehicle
Vehicles which were manufactured at least 25 years before application and have not been customized.
Personalized
Personalization removes the Classic Vehicle language from the plate and allows up to seven (7) custom letters/numbers.

$37*/$10
Personalized Fee adds

$35/$20

Standard
Application SP 34
Personalized
Application SP 97

Emissions Exemption
Form Information

Classic Rod
Vehicles manufactured not earlier than 1949, but at least 20 years before application.
Personalized
Personalization removes the Classic Rod language from the plate and allows up to seven (7) custom letters/numbers.

$37*/$10
Personalized Fee adds

$35/$20

Standard
Application SP 20
Personalized
Application SP 97

Emissions Exemption
Form Information
Street Rod
Vehicles manufactured earlier than 1949.$37/$10

In Stock

Application SP 21
Fire Truck
Privately owned fire trucks used only in musters, parades or similar activities.$17/$5

In Stock

Application SP 30
Antique Truck/Truck-Tractor
Trucks at least 25 years old, larger than one ton and used only in shows, parades or similar activities.$17/$5

In Stock

Application SP 63
Old Timer
Vehicles manufactured more than 40 years before the date of application.$37*/$10

In Stock

Application SP 12

Emissions Exemption
Form Information
Old Timer Motorcycle
Motorcycles manufactured more than 40 years before the date of application.$37/$10

In Stock
Old 06-14-2019, 09:36 PM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

Received 661 Likes on 611 Posts

The main diff with collector insurance is they insist on you having it garaged. If stolen from your garage, your homeowner's policy pays for it.
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
78whtshark
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe TN also allows Test driving, So I am always testing my vehicles and throw a couple of tools on the floor, but never have been stopped....Always a thumps up or casual look.....
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM
78whtshark
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derekderek View Post
The main diff with collector insurance is they insist on you having it garaged. If stolen from your garage, your homeowner's policy pays for it.
Home owners insurance covers homes (and car parts); cars are covered by Car Insurance.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Historic Vehicle

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: