Sponsored by:

Replacing a JY8 Aluminum Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 07:35 PM
Jwtvette
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacing a YJ8 option Aluminum Wheel

I replaced the tires on my 73 coupe about 2 months ago. I'm very happy with the BFG Radial T/As. I noticed one of my tires kept leaking down after the new tires were put on. I took it back to Discount Tire. They took the wheel off and showed me in the "dunk tank" where the tiny bubbles were coming from the back side of the wheel near where it flares out to the flat area. There were two separate leak areas. Of course they told me there was nothing they could do. It's odd (at least to me) that there was no "leak down" with the previous tires. Any ideas why the leaks started happening after the new tires were mounted?
My second question is: If I have to replace one of my YJ8s how do I get the best match to the other 3. My car is very nice but not a show car and definitely not headed to NCRS judging. I just want all 4 wheels to match. I understand there are slightly different appearances with different manufactures. Also, is it worth the risk to buy a used YJ8 on Ebay, etc.? (is there a chance it could be warped or also have a leak issue?).
Any advice is appreciated.
Wes

Last edited by Jwtvette; 10-22-2021 at 08:14 PM. Reason: wrong option code
Old 10-22-2021, 08:32 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

if discount tire sold you the tires and mounted them bring the tire back to them and ask them to unmount it.Mark the 2 leaks and bring your wheel to a welding shop,they'll be able to "v" out the cracks and drill little holes at the ends of the cracks to make sure that is where the cracks end.they can weld it up and you'll be able to sand and polish the welds so they not only look good but won't need any balancing. Bring the wheel and tire back to discount tire and ask them to remount the tire and balance the assembly. If the wheel didn't leak before they probably cranked it way to tight on the tire machine.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:01 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Cast aluminum parts can have porosity in them due to the gases produced in the casting process. This was a real problem when those wheels were first produced. The factory added a sealant 'impregnation' process on 100% of the wheels when new.

The solution is to 'seal' the leak paths on the inside of the wheel. Whether that is done by [permanently] welding to seal off leakage, or whether you choose to put some flexible sealant over the area on the inside of the wheel is a choice you can make. There is NO need to replace the wheel, as the replacement you purchase is prone to the same type of leakage.

Whenever you change tires, you should have the shop 'dunk-test' each wheel to look for air bubbles and mark the exact location so you can repair any leakers. Otherwise, you will have a slow leak and a tire which will require regular checking and resetting the air pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Pegan2261 (10-24-2021)
Old 10-23-2021, 09:10 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Is this a job for Flex-Steel or some similar type product?
Old 10-23-2021, 04:59 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I would spray the entire inside of the wheel with a rubber type sealant.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Put a tube on the leaking wheel.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:13 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

If you saw it leaking on the rim then that's where it's leaking, as to why now? Possible the stress of mounting and un-mounting the tires they just did was enough to "open it up"
(If it's all the way around or on a large part of the rim I'd be wondering about the safety as well)

There's a lot of YJ8 rims out there, you should be able to find a matching style one easily and replace the one you're having issues with.

Alternately, dismount the tire, clean the rim and give it a couple of coats of spray (clear) masking or staying around from the bead area

The "GM Fix" for the C4 rims that were porous was to find the area, roughen then inside surface up and give a thick coat of adhesive/sealant
M

Old 10-25-2021, 12:40 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default ​​​​​​​I agree

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Cast aluminum parts can have porosity in them due to the gases produced in the casting process. This was a real problem when those wheels were first produced. The factory added a sealant 'impregnation' process on 100% of the wheels when new.

The solution is to 'seal' the leak paths on the inside of the wheel. Whether that is done by [permanently] welding to seal off leakage, or whether you choose to put some flexible sealant over the area on the inside of the wheel is a choice you can make. There is NO need to replace the wheel, as the replacement you purchase is prone to the same type of leakage.

Whenever you change tires, you should have the shop 'dunk-test' each wheel to look for air bubbles and mark the exact location so you can repair any leakers. Otherwise, you will have a slow leak and a tire which will require regular checking and resetting the air pressure.
I would scuff/ key the inside of the wheel, then paint 3 coats of urethane clear paint inside and call it good.

Re-tank the wheel at 40 psi and be patient!

good luck!

Unkahal

Old 10-25-2021, 01:33 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

...or you can shoot or apply Flex Seal (or similar product) on the inside to seal off the porous area. ALL YJ8 wheels have the potential for this issue. Swapping to another YJ8 wheel is not guarantee that it is a 'better' wheel with regard to porosity. Keep what you have. Find the leak and seal it off.
Old 10-25-2021, 07:47 PM
Jwtvette
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacing a JY8 Aluminum Wheel

Thank you to all the Forum guys that gave recommendations. It is very helpful !!
Old 10-26-2021, 09:42 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Is this a job for Flex-Steel or some similar type product?
GE "Glyptal", if it's still available.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a JY8 Aluminum Wheel

Quick Reply: Replacing a JY8 Aluminum Wheel