C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rochester carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 11:22 AM
TXredc3
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rochester carb questions

Help. I am trying to replace my 1974 Rochester carb (L-48) with a rebuilt Rochester I recently purchased. Two questions:

1) The old carb has a small spring on the choke assembly (primary??) and one didn't come on the new carb. Is this spring necessary? I tried to pull the spring off the old carb and put on the new carb but ended up damaging the spring.

2) In taking off the fuel inlet line I twisted the line and as a result there is now a large hole in the metal line (too big to repair). Is it wise to just go ahead and purchase a new pump to carb line and install or can I get by with a cheaper method? The hole is about is about an inch from the body of the carb.

Thanks
Old 04-05-2005, 11:52 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The 1974 Q-Jet choke pulloff uses a spring to close the choke after engine shutdown - even if the engine is warm. This allows the engine to be started without touching the gas pedal. Many commercial carb builders snip this spring off because they do not understand its function. To get the spring function on your carb you need to replace the choke pulloff with a new one. You can get the '74 pulloff from NAPA for about $15-$20.

On your fuel line, replace the entire line with a new steel line. They are available as reproductions, or you can fabricate one yourself. Don't use rubber hose - it's unreliable and unsafe (Corvettes burn really well).

Lars
Old 04-05-2005, 02:50 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

true safety first

Get notified of new replies

To Rochester carb questions

Quick Reply: Rochester carb questions