C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aligning trans and differential?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:13 AM
colorado1967
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aligning trans and differential?

I am (hopefully) in the home stretch of my frame-off project for the 69. It appears my differential and 4-sp trans do not line-up perfectly. When you look from the front you can see they are at a very slight angle. Two questions:

1. How critical is it for them to be square to each other or for the drive shaft to be in an exact straight line?

2. There was a small shim under either the trans, trans mount or shifter I did not see until everything was loose and it fell out. Looks just like a shim used on the upper control are. Ideas where it should go or what should be checked for level?

Thank you all very much once again for the help.

Steven
Old 08-04-2005, 09:11 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a vibration problem and after trying many different things finally ran a string down the centerline of the drivetrain and found my pinion pointed towards the front passengers wheel. This produced a bad side angle.
After stringing the car I decided to make a tool that you could clamp to the pinion yoke and it had a pointer that came within 1/4 inch of touching the drilled center of the transmission yoke. I reworked the rearend mount until this pointer was exactly in the center of the transmission yoke and all vibration went away.
If you need to rest your hand on the shift **** to prevent noise there is a vibration. My shifter is absolutely still right up to 130 mph where I quit.
Also the down slope of the transmission should be measured and the up slope of the pinion should be exactly the same but opposite direction.
I really feel this is important and since you are doing a frame off it would be simple to align left to right your drive train.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:36 AM
colorado1967
Instructor

Is there any chance I could call you and ask a couple of ?

Thank you very much and if ok with you, pm me with number so it is not posted on forum.

THANK YOU!!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by colorado1967
Is there any chance I could call you and ask a couple of ?

Thank you very much and if ok with you, pm me with number so it is not posted on forum.

THANK YOU!!
No problem. You can call me at home or at work.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 PM
colorado1967
Instructor

Norval,

Thank you very much for all of your help today.

Steven
Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
vettemack
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shim under the transmission mount was only used on sidepipe cars. Car with regular exhaust has the exhaust pipe mounting bracket instead of the shim.

Get notified of new replies

To Aligning trans and differential?

Quick Reply: Aligning trans and differential?